Options

Lens suggestions

JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited April 3, 2011 in Cameras
Hello All,

I am looking at some "new" (to me at least) glass and I wanted to get some opinions on which direction to go for now. I have a 7d, and my current lens kit consists of the 50mm 1.8, 70-300 4-5.6is, tamron 17-50 2.8, and tamron 11-18 4.5-5.6 (also have an 18-55is, but never use it). I am mainly interested in shooting portraits and weddings, and if I had the $$ my first choice (for next purchase) would be a 70-200 2.8 is (but I don't have that kind of $$ at the moment). I am shooting my 3rd wedding in October, after which, I may be able to get one, but for now I am trying to decide between a used copy of a canon 50 1.4, and a used canon 85 1.8... I love my 50 1.8 except for the focus speed and low light hunting. (Also I will probably rent a 70-200 2.8 for this wedding like I did for the last one)

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Comments

• Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    So 48 views and nobody has an opinion? I've read good things about both of these lenses, but haven't used either one... anybody have a preference?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    The Tamron 17-50 is great, except that it's not particularly fast to focus in low light. It will focus - and is certainly better than the 50 1.8 - but it's not as lightning fast as some of the other Canon lenses. Sharp, lightweight and a great performer, though - I love mine.

I don't know the 70-30is so can't comment on that one.

Of the ones you're considering, I think the 85 1.8 is more likely to fill a "gap" in your current arsenal. You may also want to look at the 100 f2 (the 85 1.8's sister lens) - I found mine to be sharper at 2.0 than the 85 is at 1.8.

That said, I find I use my 50mm 1.4 a LOT more than the 85 - it's just a better focal length in the spaces I typically shoot. I'm always happy with the results of the 85, but if I need to go longer, I usually reach for the even-better 135L. Fast, lightweight, gorgeous bokeh and considerably less expensive than a 70-200is 2.8.

HTH!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited March 29, 2011
    Let's start with the usual questions.

What sort of portraiture do you wish to do? (Explain as completely as you can regarding formal/informal/environmental, etc. and head shot/full length etc.)

What space do you have available for the portraiture?

Since you have a 50mm prime, is that focal length limiting for your style of shooting?

For my own shooting style and a wedding/reception, and considering a crop 1.6x camera body, I prefer the following lenses:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (non-IS)
    Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM
    Canon EF 135mm, f2L USM
    Sigma 10-20mm, ff-f5.6 EX DC (non-HSM)

The 17-55mm is a very handy standard zoom and the constant aperture of f2.8 allows use in relative low light and the IS allows freehand during the ceremony as required. It's also an excellent lens for the reception. A Tamron AF 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF). These lenses will also serve for group portraits through head-and-shoulders singles, although for a tight head shot I would want something longer than 50mm.

The 70-200mm is very nice for larger venues and longer distances. I don't find the lack of IS too troubling but I probably will upgrade to an IS version some day. The 200mm will work for head shots if the background cooperates and you have the room (mostly outdoors). Sigma and Tamron also make nice 70-200mm, f2.8 zooms that are suitable for this use.

The primes are for those churches where the lighting doesn't allow for an f2.8 aperture and no flash during the ceremony. The 50mm and 135mm selections allow for some diversity and a choice between contextual versus intimate images. The EF 100mm, f2 USM is an affordable alternate for the 135L. (The EF 85mm, f1.8 USM not far behind.)

The super-wide-angle 10-20mm zoom is just for establish shots (exterior and interior) and "getting ready" shots in a very small space.

If I were to recommend something for crop cameras I think that an f2.8 standard zoom of 17-50mm-ish range is the first priority for wedding photography. This is my bread-and-butter lens and probably 70-80% of my wedding images come from this type of lens.

Next is the 70-200mm, f2.8, with or without IS. I have 3 lenses of this type for all my photography and this is an important lens as well for wedding photography. I suppose that I really could do a wedding with those 2 lenses alone and not feel too limited.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    Thanks for the input Divamum and Ziggy... I'm still torn as to what direction to go... I have the 50mm focal length covered by the 17-50 and the 50 1.8, but neither of them focus quickly in low light, and I suspect neither can offer the bokeh that the 50 1.4 can deliver... I do use that length quite a bit, but since I haven't had anything with a larger aperture past that length, I'm not sure how much I would use the 85,100,or 135... as far as portraits go, most of mine are shot outdoors where the length isn't as important. It's also usually a mixture from head to full body... I think I could be happy with any of these, and it may come down to what I can find at the best price...

Thanks again!

• Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    JohnRog wrote: »
    Thanks for the input Divamum and Ziggy... I'm still torn as to what direction to go... I have the 50mm focal length covered by the 17-50 and the 50 1.8, but neither of them focus quickly in low light, and I suspect neither can offer the bokeh that the 50 1.4 can deliver... I do use that length quite a bit, but since I haven't had anything with a larger aperture past that length, I'm not sure how much I would use the 85,100,or 135... as far as portraits go, most of mine are shot outdoors where the length isn't as important. It's also usually a mixture from head to full body... I think I could be happy with any of these, and it may come down to what I can find at the best price...

Thanks again!

Sorry, I missed that you already had the Tamron 17-50f2.8. For faster and more accurate focus in low light you can add an ST-E2 wireless transmitter which gives you an AF assist light. It is remarkably effective at even medium distances. Since it's not a flash it may be allowed during the ceremony too.

For any other time, when you can use a flash, a flash with an AF assist is extremely welcome and the Canon 580EX has the strongest AF assist light of flashes I have tested. My Canon 40D works fine for low light this way so I can easily recommend it for the 7D.

The EF 50mm, f1.4 USM is reasonably quick to focus but most importantly it is accurate to focus in my experience. I used it on a 1D MKII body without flash or AF assist and got very good results in this series (which required faster focus than most weddings to get the shot):

187667771_7CZKc-X2.jpg
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    The 85 1.8 and 100 f2 are both very good lenses for the price. Many go for $300 used. I'd say if you think you might like that focal length, pick one up. The 85 is soooooo much better than the 50 1.8, if you disregard the focal length.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2011
    Thanks again for all of the input from everyone... I just paid for an 85 1.8 from a seller on FM... anxiously awaiting its arrival :-)

• Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    Ziggy, do you know if there is a way to turn on the focus assist light on the sigma 500 dg super? The only time I can get it to come on using my 7d is when I put the camera in auto mode, and then only with the flash in ettl mode. Is there a way to turn it on with the camera in manual mode?

• Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    Ziggy, do you know if there is a way to turn on the focus assist light on the sigma 500 dg super? The only time I can get it to come on using my 7d is when I put the camera in auto mode, and then only with the flash in ettl mode. Is there a way to turn it on with the camera in manual mode?

The Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash needs to be upgraded to be compatible with a Canon 7D body. Have you done this? (Many 530 and all 610 series should be OK.)

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/techupdates/notice-to-customers-using-sigmas-eo-ettl-ii-type-flashguns

If the camera is in AI-Servo mode the AF Assist light will not come on. Switch to One-Shot mode in this case.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    Mine has been upgraded, and I almost always shoot in one shot mode, but I can only get the light to come on when I have the camera in full auto mode...
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    Mine has been upgraded, and I almost always shoot in one shot mode, but I can only get the light to come on when I have the camera in full auto mode...

You might try to reset your camera. Make sure the camera is off and take out the main power battery and then remove the CMOS backup battery. Turn the power switch on and let the camera sit for at least 5 minutes.

Turn the camera off and replace both batteries.

Try the flash and AF Assist light before changing any other settings.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    That shouldn't cause any issues with file naming should it? Just want to make sure it won't reset that... Mine is set to continuous file numbering...

• Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    If that's a concern just make sure that you have a card available with the last file number. The continuous file number sequence should pick up from the card's last file number once you set that preference.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    Ok...thanks I'll give it a try tomorrow... Should I be able to control it from the camera menu? The way it is right now, all I can choose for the external flash from the camera menu is the ettl metering (average or evaluative)

• Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    Ok...thanks I'll give it a try tomorrow... Should I be able to control it from the camera menu? The way it is right now, all I can choose for the external flash from the camera menu is the ettl metering (average or evaluative)

There might be a menu item that was changed and could affect the operation, but I don't have a 7D to check it out.

According to DPReview menu descriptions, check custom function III-11. Also see if custom function IV-1 has been changed from defaults.

That's about all I can think of.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Yes, function III-11 does set up the beam assist.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    There might be a menu item that was changed and could affect the operation, but I don't have a 7D to check it out.

According to DPReview menu descriptions, check custom function III-11. Also see if custom function IV-1 has been changed from defaults.

That's about all I can think of.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Hello All,

I am looking at some "new" (to me at least) glass and I wanted to get some opinions on which direction to go for now. I have a 7d, and my current lens kit consists of the 50mm 1.8, 70-300 4-5.6is, tamron 17-50 2.8, and tamron 11-18 4.5-5.6 (also have an 18-55is, but never use it). I am mainly interested in shooting portraits and weddings, and if I had the $$ my first choice (for next purchase) would be a 70-200 2.8 is (but I don't have that kind of $$ at the moment). I am shooting my 3rd wedding in October, after which, I may be able to get one, but for now I am trying to decide between a used copy of a canon 50 1.4, and a used canon 85 1.8... I love my 50 1.8 except for the focus speed and low light hunting. (Also I will probably rent a 70-200 2.8 for this wedding like I did for the last one)

Thanks in advance!

Seems like you have a great camera and ordinary lenses. You have used a Canon L so you know what good glass can do. Seems to me obvious that you use your spare and limited pile of cash to buy a great lens that you will use a lot. With a relatively small amount of money available this likely means a prime - either 28 or 35mm would be my advice.

I don't know the Tamron so maybe you feel you have this range covered adequately already..

The used lenses you are considering are good - I am enjoying my new 50mm f1.4 and people say good things about the 85mm. I might be tempted by the 85mm but I already have a 100mm Macro which is great on the occasions I use it, also for portraits, but I don't use it that often and I suspect this would also be true of 85mm.

In your case I would be tempted to bundle up all the lenses you have and sell them for whatever I could get while buying an EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM Canon original and renting an L 70-200 whenever I might recover the price of the rental by getting paid - as you do now.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    Seems like you have a great camera and ordinary lenses. You have used a Canon L so you know what good glass can do. Seems to me obvious that you use your spare and limited pile of cash to buy a great lens that you will use a lot. With a relatively small amount of money available this likely means a prime - either 28 or 35mm would be my advice.

I don't know the Tamron so maybe you feel you have this range covered adequately already..

The used lenses you are considering are good - I am enjoying my new 50mm f1.4 and people say good things about the 85mm. I might be tempted by the 85mm but I already have a 100mm Macro which is great on the occasions I use it, also for portraits, but I don't use it that often and I suspect this would also be true of 85mm.

In your case I would be tempted to bundle up all the lenses you have and sell them for whatever I could get while buying an EF-S 17-55mm IS USM Canon original and renting an L 70-200 whenever I might recover the price of the rental by getting paid - as you do now.

The Tamron 17-50 is really not that bad; it doesn't compare to the 17-55, but it does the job. The 70-300 is actually a very good lens and is comparable to the 70-200L (the 70-300 has the 300mm and the IS; the 70-200 f4 has slightly better colors and contrast, with L sharpness and AF). As to primes, Canon makes the 35mm f2, but the AF is slow and the lens is outdated (don't get me wrong, I don't really care about the design. If this thing had ring USM I'd be all over it).

Selling the current lenses might be a good idea, but you lose the 200-300mm. I'd keep the 85mm he just bought, and the 70-300, and sell the 50 1.8, 11-18, 17-50, and 18-55 (does that give you enuf for the 17-55?). But that's just me; his current kit is fine, and if it does the job for him... well, then it does the job. Also, you can sell the 70-300 for almost as much as a 70-200 f4.

If it was me, assuming I have a 7D here, I would sell the 50 1.8, 11-18, 17-50, and 18-55, and keep the 70-300 and 85. With cash from selling and weddings, I'd get a 17-55 (actually I would go for the 24-70, but that's just me) and a 70-200 f/whatever. Like I said that's just me assuming I shot weddings. If his kit works then it's fine.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    The Tamron 17-50 is really not that bad; it doesn't compare to the 17-55, but it does the job. The 70-300 is actually a very good lens and is comparable to the 70-200L (the 70-300 has the 300mm and the IS; the 70-200 f4 has slightly better colors and contrast, with L sharpness and AF). As to primes, Canon makes the 35mm f2, but the AF is slow and the lens is outdated (don't get me wrong, I don't really care about the design. If this thing had ring USM I'd be all over it).

Selling the current lenses might be a good idea, but you lose the 200-300mm. I'd keep the 85mm he just bought, and the 70-300, and sell the 50 1.8, 11-18, 17-50, and 18-55 (does that give you enuf for the 17-55?). But that's just me; his current kit is fine, and if it does the job for him... well, then it does the job. Also, you can sell the 70-300 for almost as much as a 70-200 f4.

If it was me, assuming I have a 7D here, I would sell the 50 1.8, 11-18, 17-50, and 18-55, and keep the 70-300 and 85. With cash from selling and weddings, I'd get a 17-55 (actually I would go for the 24-70, but that's just me) and a 70-200 f/whatever. Like I said that's just me assuming I shot weddings. If his kit works then it's fine.

I have the 70-300 he is talking about. I don't think I would compare it with either of the 70-200 families. I am not planning on selling mine but I would not feel comfortable taking it to shoot a wedding unless I was a guest. It does a good job when the lighting is right and the subject is at the right distance but mine lives in the bag most of the time.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    Well, it's only about $100 cheaper, although you can save a lot by buying it used. After reading parts of this review, I think I'd rather have a 70-200 as well. The 2.8 version with a 1.4x TC becomes 280mm at the long end, f4 throughout the range. I thought the 70-300 had ring USM, but it does not.

I would recommend the OP getting the 70-200 when you can afford it, and then either keeping the 70-300 or getting a 1.4x TC.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    My 70-300 lives in the bag most of the time too... I will say that its version of USM seems noticeably faster than the USM on the 85mm 1.8 I got from the fedex guy this morning, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 70-200... and as far as sharpness goes, I'd be willing to bet that a cropped image from a 70-200 @ 200mm would be sharper than one shot with the 70-300 @ 300mm (at least my copy)... I don't see me holding on to the 70-300 once I can afford a 70-200 2.8..

• Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    My 70-300 lives in the bag most of the time too... I will say that its version of USM seems noticeably faster than the USM on the 85mm 1.8 I got from the fedex guy this morning, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 70-200... and as far as sharpness goes, I'd be willing to bet that a cropped image from a 70-200 @ 200mm would be sharper than one shot with the 70-300 @ 300mm (at least my copy)... I don't see me holding on to the 70-300 once I can afford a 70-200 2.8..

I'm surprised that the 85 1.8 is focusing slowly... either that or the 70-300 focus is pretty fast :) I used a 85 1.8 on a 7D once and it was very fast, if not the same as my 70-200 f4, then pretty close...
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    Ok... so I think it was that I was testing out the 85 in low light... The 70-300 and 85 seem to focus about the same speed... and so far, I REALLY like the 85...

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Yeah, any lens will slow down in very low light. I've had two copies of the 85 1.8, and both have been very good focus-ers in a broad range of conditions!