Options

NHL Hockey at HP Pavillion in San Jose, CA

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited January 29, 2009 in Sports
I’ve been taking photos, but realized that I rarely post other than commenting on other photos and figured it was time to change it. I am nothing more than a self-taught hobbyist who likes to photograph ice hockey.

C&C welcomed and appreciated. My goal for this 2008-2009 season is to come up meaningful and interesting compositions within the limitations set by the HP pavilion (where the San Jose Sharks play).

-I do not have a media pass. Anyone person with a regular ticket can take these photos....
-shoot where allowed; mostly in my seats (sometimes lower level, but mostly in top row of the nose bleed section) and warm-ups if my date allows me
-cannot lean forward or block people’s view
-no lens great than 6 inches in length

My only saving grace is that I learned how to shoot hockey in the dark rinks of the bay area and all the lights are turned on in the Shark Tank and this makes my life sooooooooo much easier. :ivar

1. Christian Ehrhoff
417032372_4Yqa8-M-1.jpg

2. Goal by Joe Pavelski, just over the pad of Calgary goalie, Curtis McElhinney
419041040_kizeu-M-1.jpg

3. Goal by a dancing Mike Grier; he was happy (and so was the crowd)
458059675_PzmPG-M.jpg

4. Alex the Great, Alexander Ovechkin
458146932_s2Cv5-M.jpg

5. Evgeni Nabokov – we call him Nabby – it even says it on his throat protector on his helmet.
458113589_HX3Ci-M.jpg

6. Wrap around by Keith by Tkachuk; Save by Nabby
458061757_vev4n-M.jpg

7. Sid the Kid, Sidney Crosby
458147705_jwRQD-M.jpg

8. Red, White and Blue, helmet of Jose Theodore
458147322_sDvDW-M.jpg

9. Tongue, by Milan Michalek. I probably have 40 photos of him sticking out his tongue just like this.
458147539_pCdku-M.jpg

10. Tilt and Shift miniature look – not quite there yet, but I will get it. If I don't get it this season, I'll keep on working on it next season.
458065213_8VYBA-M.jpg

11. Shark Tank, Fish-y style – I really like this one.
458061454_JGV6n-M.jpg

I go to each game with a pre-determined plan – I shoot one period of each game doing something out of the ordinary, something out of the box and this year, it’s been an exploration of going as wide as I can since I’m unable to get close without special access.

Anything else I should try? Suggestions on compositions? Framing? Exposure. Let me have it! It’s the only way that I can improve…

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 20, 2009
    There's a set of shots for you! Nicely done.

As for different, try crowd shots. Or shots of the intermission follies :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    These are very nice, good use of the fish and other different views!

The only VERY SMALL nit I have is that a couple are cropped a bit to tight, need a bit of head room to breathe in. If you have it, I'd add a very small amount of head room to the Sid the kid pic and to the Milan Michalek one. Not much at all, just a sliver more... Like I said, a very small nit, because these are very good, especially with your vantage point!
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Really like that fishbowl shot!!

Stephanie
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    As for different, try crowd shots. Or shots of the intermission follies :D
    I haven't shot any of the intermission follies before since I always spend those 20 minutes between periods looking for friends and teammates :D

And yes, crowds. I'll work on that! Thanks so much for the feedback.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    The only VERY SMALL nit I have is that a couple are cropped a bit to tight, need a bit of head room to breathe in. If you have it, I'd add a very small amount of head room to the Sid the kid pic and to the Milan Michalek one. Not much at all, just a sliver more... Like I said, a very small nit, because these are very good, especially with your vantage point!
    Thank you so much for the feedback, and yes, I was debating about the crop when I initially processed these and went with tight-tight. The sports mantra "Shoot tight -- crop tighter" is second nature to me these days, but I may be taking "tighter" too far.

The close-up shots were taken at warm-ups and it's the only chance where I can get near the boards. However, for me to do this, I have to get to inside of the rink and in position about 40-50 minutes before the game actually starts.

I actually brought the fisheye to me for a few games, but concentrated on the T&S and never used it until I brought grimace to a game and he used it! I'm having more success with the fisheye lens than the T&S.

I need to get more centered for this capture, but I timed it so that the security guards would stop me on top of the steps to the upper levels at the start of the national anthem. This will be another re-shoot, but I like the concept.

458124170_5CeVn-M.jpg

I sometimes wonder how I would do if had a media pass.... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Really like that fishbowl shot!!
    me too!!!! And it was one of my experimental shots because my goal was a fisheye framing of the signing of the national anthem. :D
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:

1. Is this one better? Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
    458825099_6MDMY-M.jpg

2. Milan Michalek, San Jose Sharks. As I cropped this, I remembered the second reason why I cropped so closely. Due my exposure settings and my distance away from him, my depth of field was not as narrow as I desired (total DOF about 1.5 feet) and Michalek isn't isolated as much and someone is growing out of his head; not enough bokeh. For this crop, did I add too much headroom?

458828315_68tuH-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    I actually brought the fisheye to me for a few games, but concentrated on the T&S and never used it until I brought grimace to a game and he used it!

:D:D:D:D:D

Great looking series. You really nailed the white balance and the action shots are sharp with no blur.

April, you have really done a great job. Factor in the lighting conditions, speed of the game and having to shoot through glass and I'd have to say you've done an awesome job.bowdown.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    10. Tilt and Shift miniature look – not quite there yet, but I will get it. If I don't get it this season, I'll keep on working on it next season.
    bowdown.gif awesome attitude!
    11. Shark Tank, Fish-y style – I really like this one.

15524779-Ti.gif me too!
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Great series!

Sharks are looking good this year.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Great looking series. You really nailed the white balance and the action shots are sharp with no blur.
    Thank you so much for coming with me to the game and actually using the fisheye. I actually carried it to five games before you used it!

I wonder if how the fishy would looked with at TC or if used a 10-22... hmmm.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    bowdown.gif awesome attitude!
    :D I have no choice! T&S is hard! And I currently think I was using the wrong lens; I think I need a 45mm or a 90mm and I can't figure out where I want to put the focal plane.

My various attempts and reasons for wanting this shot can be found in this thread.

I've been asked by various people why I continue to attempt these when I can achieve a similar look in photoshop. My answer -- because it is possible to do so in camera. I just haven't figure out it it. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    a110p0 wrote:
    Great series!

Sharks are looking good this year.
    Thank you so much for commenting!

And yes, the sharks look good this year! :D I hope it continues!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I like a lot of these photos. Heck I would even consider ordering a large print for my office :) I like the opening/intro fisheye shot the most out of the batch.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I dig #1, #4, and #8. Yep, the tight shots. Ovechkin during warmups is very cool.

and, one more thing, "Go Sharks!!!"
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    I like a lot of these photos. Heck I would even consider ordering a large print for my office :) I like the opening/intro fisheye shot the most out of the batch.
    :D:D:D You really know what to say to a girl to make her smile :D:D:D Thank you so much for your kind words; i really appreciate them... You don't understand how much that means to me. iloveyou.gif

I've been working on a shot since before this season started, but I haven't figured it quite out to capture it yet with my limitations and it is inspired by Vincent Laforet T&S capture of Maria Sharapova dropping to her knees as she won the US Open. In that one frame, without any captions, the viewer knew exactly what happened and the emotions following through the venue. And the key sticking point for me... he shot that frame from the stands with the common folks.

I want a frame during the playoffs, immediately after the Sharks score and I want the shark tank fans going nuts with their rally towels. I can't get it with the T&E (yet), but I might be able to get with the fisheye if I'm able to get an aisle seat on the very top row and it must be an aisle seat since I have no chance of getting anything once people stand up in front of me since I'm vertically challenged... rolleyes1.gif I attempted this in about two games and all I get is the back of people once they stand up. The fisheye shot from the lower bowl doesn't work as well since I lose the magnitude of the venue.

Test shot while standing up before the game starts
    461435295_9FtU9-L.jpg

Can you just imagine it? Playoffs. Everyone on their feet. Towels in the airs. And on the ice, a group of five sharks gathering around each other on the ice in celebration.

The winning goal for the Stanley Cup would be very, very nice and it might be too much to ask, but for now, I'll take any Sharks goal in a playoff game. rolleyes1.gif

And I think it might just work... maybe. wish me luck. Lots and lots and lots of luck. I'll need it.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    chrisdg wrote:
    I dig #1, #4, and #8. Yep, the tight shots. Ovechkin during warmups is very cool.

and, one more thing, "Go Sharks!!!"
    Go Sharks! wings.gif

I can only get those tight shots for about 15-minutes when I can actually get the games early enough to catch the warm-ups. I usually have to pick a spot, and can't move because people completely fill in around me. And most of those frames are taken when they're shooting or skating by me after taking a warm-up shot.

As for Ovechkin, he was making really, really right fast turns and couldn't get anything of him and I could only see his hair flying; he really leans and uses his edges when he turns.

But sometimes, I'm lucky and I catch the players looking mostly directly at me.

1. Dan Boyle -- All-Star
    458182152_Kjs9T-M.jpg
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    1. Is this one better? Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins

2. Milan Michalek, San Jose Sharks. As I cropped this, I remembered the second reason why I cropped so closely. Due my exposure settings and my distance away from him, my depth of field was not as narrow as I desired (total DOF about 1.5 feet) and Michalek isn't isolated as much and someone is growing out of his head; not enough bokeh. For this crop, did I add too much headroom?

Both these look good to me now...
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    MurrayMcMurrayMc Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2009
    NHL Hockey....I'm impressed
    Given your limited opportunity to get up close, I'm really impressed with the results you have achieved. Hockey is tough to do well, and you are getting good results from the "back of the bus".

One comment, and one question.

First, glad to see you try the tilt and shift. I have tried it too, but was so discouraged with my ineptitude that I would never show the results in public. You have a great attitude..........though I am wondering a bit (mostly to myself) if the possible benefits of the approach might not be all that great in sports photography.

Now to the question. I too shoot some hockey (not the Senators here in Ottawa though.......they are playing so poorly this season that I refuse to pay the price of tickets, even for the upper bowl). You can check my site. I have a media pass for University level hockey, and get to move around at ice level behind the glass. And here is my question for you or others who might have experience at this........Are there any hints for shooting through dirty, scratched, spray covered glass? Although promised for a year, so far "openings" for photographers have not been cut into the plexiglass. Nor has the glass been cleaned! I have taken the lens covers off of my f 1.4, 2.0, and 2.8 lenses to get them closer to the glass (and this seems to have helped wrt reducing the impact of any scratches or black puck marks)........but reflections continue to be an issue. I have thought about a polarizing filter....but do not want to lose any light (already pushed to ISO 1250 , 1/400 or so with the lenses mentioned). Any advice appreciated (and of course, once you are above the plexiglass, then you have the safety net to contend with).

Sorry for the long post.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    First of all, welcome to dgrin! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    MurrayMc wrote:
    .....though I am wondering a bit (mostly to myself) if the possible benefits of the approach might not be all that
    great in sports photography.
    I think T&S has it's place in sports, but it isn't for everyone. Chase Jarvis and Vincent Laforet are two that has done many great things with T&S, including sports photography. My fascination with this method began a few years ago when I first saw this from the New York Times: Sports Shots via T&S by Vincent Laforet He shot the Pipeline Masters, US Open Tennis, World Series, Kentucky Derby, Superbowl, etc -- all via a T&S.

And I haven't forgotten about those images since I saw them and the lessons that I took away from it. I can shoot interesting sports images from the stands without a media pass... it just takes some thought, creativity and determination mwink.gif I might not get it the first time, or second, but I can do it. I feel like I"m getting close with the fisheye, but I still have some ways to go with the T&S since it's such a difficult lens to use. If you have any tips, let me know ear.gif
    MurrayMc wrote:
    Are there any hints for shooting through dirty, scratched, spray covered glass?
    NHL is easy for me since the lights are mostly turned on and the glass is clean. I taught myself how to photography in the dark rinks (1/2 lights are turned on), scratched glass of the bay area adult hockey leagues.

I learned how to shoot hockey through this.
    1. One of my views of the Sharks training camp at one of my local rink, South Rink, Logitech Ice
    376556447_FemZ5-M-3.jpg

I don't always shoot through this, and I don't like this piece of glass, and if given a choice, I'll move, but sometimes, I have no choice (security wouldn't let me move that day)

In times like this when I have no choice, do the following.
    -- I take out my small bottle of glass cleaner and clean the outside glass as best as I can.
    -- I also take off my lens hood, and get as perpendicular and as close as possible to the glass to reduce the reflections and light spillage
    -- I look for the best spots of the glass.

If you can't get the shot that you want while perpendicular to the glass, then move your body and get yourself to the location. In all the rinks that I've been to, the light is coming directly from above my head and most rinks do not use theater lights for hockey. As long as I'm not shooting at certain angles and stay squared as possible, I can keep the reflections down to a minimum.

2. My shooting spots for that piece of glass (circles mark my spots)
    451124158_WxRr6-M.jpg

I will get some tinting and blur, but it's better than nothing.

3. Results of shooting through scratches (last year's training camp); not the best, but acceptable. Hit rate drops, but I still have usable frames.
    450442483_jcHew-M.jpg
    MurrayMc wrote:
    Any advice appreciated (and of course, once you are above the plexiglass, then you have the safety net to contend with).
    If you're in the correct position, the plexiglass isn't much of a problem.

4. Shooting through plexiglass (training camp, south rink, Logitech Ice). -- Lukas Kaspar, he's now back in the minor league
    378549481_5mSDP-M-1.jpg

5. Shooting through netting (last year's photo). Habs scoring on Nabby
    262067614_WuwPa-M-7.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see the lines of the netting. I find that if I'm mostly squared to the netting, focusing at the far goal, shooting wide open, the net doesn't bother me very much due to DOF.
    MurrayMc wrote:
    You can check my site.
    Website? I couldn't find it in your profile and I would love to take a look. And thank you so much for those nice words :D
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    Now I get it.
    Thanks so much for the Laforet link. Amazing shots, and I see why you (or anyone.........now me) would want to try and learn the approach for sports shots. The examples are motivating.

Thanks for welcoming me to dgrin as well. I morphed over to Smugmug late in the fall, have lurked a bit on some of the fora, finally deciding I had better get involved in some of the interesting threads. Well.........so now I am trying to figure out how to load a photo here, making this an even richer learning experience.

Turns out I pretty much take the same approach as you. Pick the best possible small area; clean the glass (I just use a glove or my shirt sleeve.....your idea is better); get up tight without the lens hood on (and stay just off the glass, which can bend in with the boards an inch or two when players run into the section you are behind).

461572757_A4Fvz-S.jpg

So, in this above photo you can see the glass glare and a bit of reflection just below the goalie's mask. Not a huge problem, but distracting (took this with a 24mm lens.......the goalie was clearing the puck just on the other side of the glass). A bit the same result as your #3 photo.

[IMG][/img]http://murraymccomb.smugmug.com/photos/461570472_8czK2-M.jpg

Here is another shot from a women's university hockey game, longer lens (70-200 2.8) where I shot straight on, and there is no glare effect.

454344552_y4zJb-M.jpg

My solution is to take lots of shots, and keep only a few.

My web site is at www.murraymccomb.com. It links directly to Smugmug, and I would really appreciate you looking over the hockey shots. Any criticism gratefully appreciated. For starters, I sometimes wonder if I am making the colors a bit too vibrant when touching up in photoshop.

Now, I think I will look at the Laforet article again..........
  • Options
    kwkodiakkwkodiak Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Aktse, some very good captures! #6 is my favorite (and it's not because Tkachuk is a former Winnipeg (my home) Jet ).

Were you shooting over the glass for #'s 2,3 and 6?
    What lens are you using? 70-200?

Terry
  • Options
    slipkidslipkid Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Good tips
    There is some good info in this post. After shooting hockey (my son's teams) for years I find shooting through the glass to be a pain. I have shot from the bench but you don't get good action shots from the bench. The best shots come from the corners through crappy glass. I happen to be lucky at my son's home rink, nice clean glass with good lighting. As most have said here, take lots of shots.
    445097872_SYrtG-L.jpg
    Regards
    Steve
    www.slipkid.com
    "The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money". -- Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    aktse and slipkid
    Aktse, in my post last evening I forgot to say that I really admire your "fish-y" shot. My widest lens is a 24, and I would love to have the fisheye for some occasional shots. I like your attitude in capturing shots (walk as close as you can get, until stopped by staff, then snap and retreat)..... although I guess that wears a bit thin after awhile. To answer a question you mused about, you are doing fine work from the upper deck, so with a media pass, you could be dangerously good. I also like that you plan your shots well in advance, having an idea about what you would like to capture on a particular night, or over the season. I try to do the same (which can also mean missing some key action.......for example trying for close up stuff with the 24mm on the camera body, when something happens that calls for the 200 mm). In my dreams I would have two cameras available......

Slipkid, I really like the photo you posted. Nice action and great color. I took the liberty of checking the shot info on your site, and find that we are using almost identical settings (ISO, aperturere, shutter speed). I guess the light levels are similar...........though you have the luxury of clean glass.

You two, or others checking out this thread, might enjoy these two shots....or not. They are amongst my fav hockey pictures. Criticism welcome so that I can improve.

430226113_Q5N4J-S.jpg

On this first one, a goal, I like the goalie's frustrated expression, and the uplifted arms of the shooter in profile in front.

405904021_cbrfN-S-2.jpg

On this one, I like the goalie's focus on the puck, and the feeling of speed and action. It may, however, be cropped improperly (by that I mean.......I zoomed in too much).

Oh, and one more. Women's hockey at the university level is amazing. Again, here I like the expressions of the two players.

404532925_WQpiu-S-3.jpg

Thats about all I have to contribute, for what it is worth.
  • Options
    kwkodiakkwkodiak Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Murray, I checked out your website; I liked the soccer pictures best;

Steve, nice capture. I share your feelings about shooting through glass; I've shot mostly in the penalty box or bench this year and I do feel you miss a perspective of the game.

I had a chance to shoot at our pro (AHL) arena here in Winnipeg and was forced to shoot behind the glass but the glass is near immaculate.

447609035_onMSt-XL.jpg

Terry
  • Options
    cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Great shot of Ovechkin!

Go Flames Go!
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Options
    slipkidslipkid Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Nice!
    Nice shots by all, some people don't know how hard it is to capture a good hockey shot.
    Well Done
    Regards
    Steve
    www.slipkid.com
    "The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money". -- Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Nice shots by all, some people don't know how hard it is to capture a good hockey shot.

So, so true. April taught me most of what I know for hockey shots, and she makes it look easy.

-J
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    kwkodiak wrote:
    Were you shooting over the glass for #'s 2,3 and 6?
    What lens are you using? 70-200?
    Welcome to dgrin! clap.gif Thanks for stopping by!

I was shooting over the glass for #2, #3,& #6, but that's because I was sitting in seats above the glass level. mwink.gif

The black dots mark my most common seats -- very top row of in the upper bowl of 211 and near the top of section 126 in the lower level.

463810366_x6qSG-X3-1.jpg

#2 and #3 were shot from the lower bowl and #6 is from the upper level.

The fisheyes shots were taken either from the bottom of the upper bowl near the stairwell and my seats on the very top row.

And I really, really, really, really wish that I could bring in my 70-200, but that lens exceed the 6 inch rule. :cry

Instead, I shoot with my 135 and I throw on a 1.4TC when I get to my seats to keep security from hassling me. The combo six inches in length, but I already get enough scrutiny when I go in.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    slipkid wrote:
    The best shots come from the corners through crappy glass. I happen to be lucky at my son's home rink, nice clean glass with good lighting.
    mwink.gifwink Lucky duck mwink.gifwink

But I have to agree with you -- I think the best action hockey shots come from the corners.