Options

Site-wide password breaks things...

dzvisualdzvisual Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 10, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Could some kind person please help me understand the Site-wide password? I had assumed that it would behave similar to .htaccess protection on a directory, in other words, everything is "public" and usable once you've specified the password. So, I'd expect that the user arrives at my site, types in the password, and then has full access to all public gallerys, keywords, timeline, etc. But what actually happens is outright weird... for example keywords seem to work, but the timeline dissapears completely. Actually, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. And when it's there, it might say there are 1700 photos for a particular year, but if you click on the year, it's says there are no photos in that range. Also, once a password is specified, iPhone access is completely broken, even if you login. If I then subsequently remove the password, things are not back to normal, for example, keywords no longer appear on the home page unless I log in, even though all galleries are public. This is seriously frustrating, and other stuff works so well I just can't believe something so fundamental is this broken! I do like most everything else about SmugMug, so I'm really hoping I'm just missing something. Thanks!
Joe

Comments

• Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I don't know what's happening with Timelines as I haven't really played with them, but as far as you still having problems after removing the site-wide password, it's probably related to cookies.

I bet if you remove all cookies, or specifically all *.smugmug.com cookies, it will behave like it did before.
  • Options
    dzvisualdzvisual Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    I don't know what's happening with Timelines as I haven't really played with them, but as far as you still having problems after removing the site-wide password, it's probably related to cookies.

I bet if you remove all cookies, or specifically all *.smugmug.com cookies, it will behave like it did before.

PROBLEM SOLVED - it's the SmugIslands setting
    Thank you for your response. That was a good thought. And I did try your suggestion but that wasn't the problem. What I just figured out was that it's related to the SmugIslands setting. If "Hello smuggers" is set to "yes" then it doesn't work. However, if it's set to "only on my SmugMug site" it works as I would expect. I haven't tried the iPhone app to see if that now works too.

Thanks!