Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #52 (Digital Alphabet Soup)

Comments

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    Hi again Sean,
    Just wondering ...

No restrictions on borders, go crazy if you like. In regards to hue and B&W, those are all fine. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I don't think I have any software that'll do this. Yes, please show me some freeware. Thanks!

After a quick big G search I found this: photoscape
    Later tonight I will install it and try out the combine feature that they talk about on the publishers website. It looks like it will do the job quite nicely. Once I have tried it out I will post a mini tutorial for you and everyone else on the steps to take. deal.gif
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Thanks Sean. And what about HUE adjustments? Is this fine? Along with saturaion and vibrancy?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    Thanks Sean. And what about HUE adjustments? Is this fine? Along with saturaion and vibrancy?

Please re-read my previous post

In it I said that yes they are all fine. Saturation and vibrancy was covered in the original stipulations.
    I have updated the original post with hue as well, just in case no one reads this far.
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Great. I was aware about saturation and vibrancy, but since hue wasn't specifically mentioned I wasn't about to touch that slider mwink.gif. I was assuming they were all in the same 'basic' editing bag. Thanks for the precision.
    sherstone wrote: »
    Please re-read my previous post

In it I said that yes they are all fine. Saturation and vibrancy was covered in the original stipulations.
    I have updated the original post with hue as well, just in case no one reads this far.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Marvelous! I am already having fun collecting letters. wings.gif
  • Options
    Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Please sir, please sir, I have a question wave.gif

As only basic editing is permitted, would masking out irrelevent areas of the individual-letter-pictures constitute basic or advanced editing? ( I would be using Layer Mask in PSE8 )

I'll give an example of what I am talking about, say I wanted an "I" for my word, so I take a picture of, say, a telegraph pole. Would it be within the "basic editing" for this challenge to mask out everything apart from the telegraph pole in the original picture, and then use that along with other similarly treated "Letters" along with a suitable background. There would be no filters applied to the individual frames and only the standard hue/sat/sharpening that has already been stated as being ok.

I hope that example explains what I am asking.

Tim
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Velvet-Art wrote: »
    Please sir, please sir, I have a question wave.gif

As only basic editing is permitted, would masking out irrelevent areas of the individual-letter-pictures constitute basic or advanced editing? ( I would be using Layer Mask in PSE8 )

Tim

I consider masking beyond basic editing. So... The answer is sorry, nope. :nah
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    eek7.gif
    I consider masking beyond basic editing. So... The answer is sorry, nope. :nah

Ok, no probs. Thanks for clearing it up.thumb.gif Now on to finding and shooting my letters

Tim
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    After a quick big G search I found this: photoscape

kdotaylor - has asked how to put each of the individual letter photos into a final image. This morning I did a quick search and found a freeware windows application called photoscape that looked promising. I must say I am absolutely thrilled with this program and how easy it is to do exactly what we need it to do for this challenge.

I spent about 15 minutes searching around my house looking for the letters P H O T O S, in another 5 minutes I created this with photoscape.

887222795_Vi45s-O.jpg

Once you install the program and run it you are presented with a round menu system. Choose Combine
    887225112_zUjGU-L.jpg

You are then presented with a window that has your folder tree on the top left. The images inside the selected folder on the bottom left. A top section that allows you to drag and drop the order of your photos after they have been added. A central area canvas that shows your finished image. Finally you have a right panel that has all the options.
    887222837_GVacf-L.jpg

You can add photos by using the ADD button at the top right or you can drag photos from the bottom left side onto your canvas area. In this example we have 6 letters so I chose 6 columns as you can see in the bottom right. If I wanted a square image I could choose 3 columns and it would stack the last three below the first, this is in checker mode. There are also two other tabs, one called "Down" and "Side" - Side mode will also work in this case.

A border is super easy to create, my example uses an 8 pixel black border and you can even give a rounded edge to your borders if you like. There seems to be some other border options as well but I have not experimented with them.

Two important settings are also the "Resize Ratio" in the first section of options. I set mine to 26% to make the images fit approx 1024 wide which made them about 200 tall. The other thing is to set your "Preview Zoom", located on the bottom center of the window, I set mine to 50% so I could see the whole image at once.

I took me much longer to type this out than it did to create the Alphabet Soup example. This software rocks in doing the exact thing we need it to do.

If anyone has concerns or more questions about what I have covered here, do not be afraid to ask.

P.S. If you have a Mac OSX machine I'm sorry. I imagine there are other free solutions for OSX as well but I have not looked.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Wow, Sean!! You are one awesome judge/moderator/challenge boss (or whatever your 'title' is)!!! I am so impressed that you took the time not only to search for free software to use, but also to create something you could use to put together 'how-to' instructions. Thank you so much for taking time to do this. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

I have software and I have merged photos together before, but this program looks so simple to use. I may have to try it, just for grins. Laughing.gif.

Sherry

ps: Love your 'p-h-o-t-o-s' montage, btw! Excellent!
  • Options
    TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Sean, just tried Photoscape and it really is as easy as you claim. Nice find!! thumb.gif and Thank you.
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Thank you, Sean!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    I am very happy to have found something that made the process so easy. I'm even happier that so far at least three people have benefited from it clap.gif

I forgot to mention two possibly important things in my mini tut:

1. My photos were pre cropped but, cropping images inside of photoscape is actually very easy to do as well. If you look back at my example, At the top of the screen is an EDIT tab. Under that tab is a plethora of options that allow you to do many things to your photo including filters that go beyond the Basic editing allowed for this challenge.. To crop find the crop tab, there is a drop down box that houses tons of different aspect ratios to choose from. In my example you would choose 5x7 and then click, drag and draw a crop box right on your photo. The crop is constrained to your aspect ratio choice. Once you are happy with your crop you can then save it as a new image. Then you go back to combine mode.

2. The Exif information in your photos seems to be kept intact when using photoscape. After creating my example I checked and the Exif information from the 'P' was embedded in the final image.

No picture example this time because I'm not at my main computer this morning. If anyone has trouble using the editing options in photoscape just ask me here for more help.

There is absolutely no excuse now not to go find letters in your environment and participate in this round. Go have some creative fun!
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    887222795_Vi45s-200x200.jpg

I'm kinda glad you're not in this round eek7.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    I'm kinda glad you're not in this round eek7.gif

I'm not kinda glad.. I am VERY glad that you ARE in this round :D (You are, aren't you? mwink.gif)
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    I'm not kinda glad.. I am VERY glad that you ARE in this round :D (You are, aren't you? mwink.gif)

Oh I am. And I got IDEAS. mwink.gif

I already got my word/layout ready, just have to go out and shoot.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    I already got my word/layout ready, just have to go out and shoot.

AWESOME! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Sorry to be a bit of a pest, but I have another question, does our entry have to be Only consisting of the word, or can we have the word on a background image? ( ie, images of the individual letter with or without frames, arranged into the word and then placed on a background image which is also taken within the required time frame of course )

Thanks in advance for your direction on this Sean thumb.gif

Tim
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Exif?
    How do I find the url to link to the EXIF? Maybe I'm not doing this right.

thanks....
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Great idea for a challenge, but I tell ya, it's just gonna be impossible to judge this one, because every single entry at the very least is going to be quite creative.

My approach in judging this one will be, I will totally ignore looking at the username/title of each entry and first try to see if I can decipher the words just by looking at the pictures themselves and then go from there.

Looking forward to seeing the final gallery.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    I'll be sitting this one, but I will be watching from the stands.:D
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    How do I find the url to link to the EXIF? Maybe I'm not doing this right.

thanks....

Jenn where are your photos located? if they are on a SmugMug account its easy if they are elsewhere let me know and I will see if I can help.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Velvet-Art wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bit of a pest, but I have another question, does our entry have to be Only consisting of the word, or can we have the word on a background image? ( ie, images of the individual letter with or without frames, arranged into the word and then placed on a background image which is also taken within the required time frame of course )

Thanks in advance for your direction on this Sean thumb.gif

Tim

Tim, you really are stuck on pushing the threshold and I commend you for that but... What you are proposing sounds like you are going to be using layers which unfortunately is not really "Basic editing". The stipulations tried to steer you into being creative with how you find the letters and what you do with the idea. Basic editing gives you more than enough tools to complete the task. Now I did allow frames so technically if your frame was made out of another image I can not really fault you for that. ne_nau.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Great idea for a challenge, but I tell ya, it's just gonna be impossible to judge this one, because every single entry at the very least is going to be quite creative.

I have every confidence that you will be able to sift through and find your 10 favorites. I agree it will be different than most rounds to judge but even though an entry will be several images, you can still look at the entry as a whole and make a decision based on what you personally consider important. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    I'll be sitting this one, but I will be watching from the stands.:D
    Not enough letter forms in the canyon? ear.gif
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    I have to tell ya, Sean, that this challenge topic really has me getting my camera out again! I haven't been this excited about taking photos in quite a while. (I hit a slump and was totally disgusted with everything I did. I'm still not totally happy with the quality of my shots, but at least I'm trying again.)

I think I've been driving my family nuts the last few days looking for letters all over the place. I've now found all my letters--I'm just trying to get decent pictures of them that I'm happy with so I can put it all together.

I also really like that little software pkg you found. What a nice little find!

Sherry
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Thank you Sherry!

I must say that I am having a ton of fun thinking the themes up and watching all the cool things everyone comes up with. :D
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Jenn where are your photos located? if they are on a SmugMug account its easy if they are elsewhere let me know and I will see if I can help.

Some of my photos are on this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=169100

Some are here too:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=169068

thanks for the help!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    Some of my photos are on this thread
    thanks for the help!

Ok looks like your using photobucket to host your photos. I did a few searches for information on photobucket and EXIF and almost nothing came up. The images you posted in the linked threads do not have any EXIF info in them at all. I'm not really sure if photobucket supports EXIF.

What may need to happen is I can set up another gallery that is for EXIF linking only. That way you will be able to upload each letter to the gallery and then link to it using the instructions I gave as a link in the original post. Unless anyone else knows how to get EXIF info to work with photobucket.

I will have to think on this one a bit.

Jenn as an experiment please try uploading something to the gallery and see if the EXIF info shows up for you.
    then let me know here so I can check and delete the test for you.

Thanks.