Options

Congratulations divamum for the DSS #51 (yesterday or tomorrow) Winning Photo!

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited June 6, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I bet you thought you would not be seeing these until tomorrow.

Your time interpretors ghinson and Smithy, agreed on six images, giving you 14 finalists to choose from. Congratulations to all of you! :clap:clap
The poll will remain open for 72 hours, and any previously registered member of DGrin may vote. :D

Angela Davis - Time Flyer
878825735_rArdJ-L.jpg

jestoos - Window to the Past
880268148_jcJER-L.jpg

liflander - 2 and 96
880971321_vo9tg-L.jpg

divamum - Past, Present, Future
882197706_XTjnR-L.jpg

sweetharmony - Gentle Kiss of Yesterday's Rain
882571480_HFjvS-L.jpg

Froch - Honoring Yesterday's Heros
882904337_mX8Ye-L.jpg

johnloguk - "Time Traveller"
883466061_pLsig-L.jpg

Kidzmom - Class of 2027
883522415_BaV3V-L.jpg

Rocketlily - The Telegraphist
883789326_BQ64F-L.jpg

dls - night shall yield to a new day
883967901_NKkyA-L.jpg

Rteest42 - To Know From Whence We Came
884060143_9WPZx-L.jpg

DsrtVW - Unchecked Growth will lead to a final collapse
884374230_Wueyc-L.jpg

BeachBill - World of Tomorrow
884502380_fn4ro-L.jpg

Tlvodra - Footloose and Fancy-free
884551764_tLd6X-L.jpg

Go ahead make someones day, VOTE!

Vote for the DSS #51 (yesterday or tomorrow) Winning Photo! 113 votes

Angela Davis - Time Flyer
6% 7 votes
jestoos - Window to the Past
1% 2 votes
liflander - 2 and 96
11% 13 votes
divamum - Past, Present, Future
18% 21 votes
sweetharmony - Gentle Kiss of Yesterday's Rain
0% 1 vote
Froch - Honoring Yesterday's Heros
11% 13 votes
johnloguk - "Time Traveller"
10% 12 votes
Kidzmom - Class of 2027
8% 10 votes
Rocketlily - The Telegraphist
5% 6 votes
dls - night shall yield to a new day
0% 1 vote
Rteest42 - To Know From Whence We Came
4% 5 votes
DsrtVW - Unchecked Growth will lead to a final collapse
0% 0 votes
BeachBill - World of Tomorrow
11% 13 votes
Tlvodra - Footloose and Fancy-free
7% 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Wow! That's some stiff competition!!! Thanks for choosing me... I still want to choose at LEAST three of these as first placers!!!
  • Options
    SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Agreed. Picking only one, when there's 3 or 4 I want to win, is really tough. Good luck, and great job everyone!
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Congratulations, finalists! Excellent images all! As always, it is tough to choose only one. clap.gifclap
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Good luck to all the finalists. Thank you to the judges for doing dealing with the task at hand. Time to play with the Alphabet
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    fotoeffectsfotoeffects Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Congrats to all the finalists!
    Wow! Fantastic group of finalists, all of whom who deserve accolades. Tough decision on which one will get my vote. Congrats to you all!
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Oh my gosh, what a lovely surprise this morning to see my photo made it to the voting round (*heart racing wildly).iloveyou.gif Speaking of hearts...I really did put my heart into this shot and I'm so happy it was liked. I had such a struggle with getting him to wear that hat, but my determination paid off I guess. Thank you ghinson and Smithy for taking the time to judge. Your detailed feedback and critique is so much appreciated. Congrats to all those who made it to the vote...as well as those who didn't. The gallery is beautiful and I'm always amazed at the creativity and beauty captured my my fellow dgrinners. You all impress me. Thanks again!
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Whoooo!!! Congratulations Finalists!!! Amazing Entries!!
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Great to have made it through in such wonderful company, this is going to be really tough. Congrats to all the other finalists :)
  • Options
    TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Congrats to all finalists and thanks to those who have taken time to comment on so many of the images. There are a couple of images I would have liked to see make the final round that were't picked. I will list my favs in the unofficial gallery. Tough challenge. I know I struggled to find the right balace of adherence to the theme, composition, and subject matter, and found it interesting that it was much easier to portray yesterday than tomorrow. I have many visions of "tomorrow" but struggled with getting that through in my images. I'm so grateful to have made the final round as I have been working really hard to create better quality images. Now on to challenge #52!!! mwink.gif
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Congrats to all the finalistsclap.gif
    Made my vote, but it was tough! Amazing talent in this group, proud to be a part of it wings.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Congrats to everyone who submitted. I can honestly say I found something I liked in each image which kept me engaged. It was a great round with so many quality entries.
    Good luck finalists!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Congratulations to the finalist! clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Thanks for including mine, judges! There are some truly beautiful images in this round, and I'm honoured to be included. Tough to vote, that's for sure..... !
  • Options
    BSGreenBSGreen Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    clap.gif Fantastic job by all! Congratz and gl to all the finalists!! clap.gif
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Congratulations everyone! This was a good round.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Excellent entries this round. Kudos to everyone. Feeling honored to be selected as a finalist. Thanks!
  • Options
    Angela DavisAngela Davis Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    WoW to all the Awesome photos this challenge, really great job everyone! So cool to land with such talented photographers, again really sweet photos by all this go around. A big thank you to the judges

~Does The Happy Dance~ :)
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Thanks to Smithy and PaulFrocchi for leaving thoughtful comments for every single image that was entered. You guys rock! clap.gif

Cheers,
    Mark
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    Thanks to Smithy and PaulFrocchi for leaving thoughtful comments for every single image that was entered. You guys rock! clap.gif

Cheers,
    Mark

Ditto what he saidclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Another great round with many excellent submissions, creative approaches, and a positive environment....
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    Last minute voting.
    There is just over one hour left to Vote. If you have not voted yet, please get your choice in soon.

The results will be delayed a few hours tonight because I have been invited out for a birthday dinner (not mine).
    When I get back from dinner I will compile the results and announce the winners.

Let the nail biting continue mwink.gif
  • Options
    SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    There is just over one hour left to Vote. If you have not voted yet, please get your choice in soon.

The results will be delayed a few hours tonight because I have been invited out for a birthday dinner (not mine).
    When I get back from dinner I will compile the results and announce the winners.

Let the nail biting continue mwink.gif

You tease, you...

mwink.gif
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2010
    Congratulations divamum for the DSS #51 Winning Photo.
    It is not yet tomorrow and certainly not yesterday.
    And now the results you have been patiently waiting for...

A big congratulations goes to divamum for:

Past, Present, Future
    882197706_XTjnR-L.jpg

The following photographers are now qualified to participate in the next Mega-Challenge:

divamum
    liflander
    Froch
    BeachBill
    johnloguk

Congratulations Everyone! clap.gifthumb.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Congrats, divamum! The juxtaposition of yesterday and tomorrow with the classic processing made for an exceptional photo. Well done!

Congrats to the other Mega qualifiers! Excellent work!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Way to go divamumclap.gifclapclap.gif Glad to see you back in the game.thumb.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Congrats Divamum!! It's a beautiful image and well deserving! Congrats to liflander, Froch, BeachBill, and johnloguk for a top 5 finish. There were so many excellent photos this round!!!! clap.gif
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What fun news to wake up to! wings.gif

Thank you all so very, very much.

Since a few of you have asked: the processing was actually pretty simple. The original shot had the soft, Vermeer-ish windowlight look I wanted (thank you, living room windows + Photek Softliter - LOVE that thing!) which was half the battle for "the look"; I had a very clear idea of what I wanted, and lighting was a primary element. I then ran it throuh the "watercolours" filter in PS. It still wasn't quite enough though, so I pulled it back into LR and just started playing with my presets and the WOW Antique 5 one did exactly what I wanted without any tweaking at all.

There were two things about it that I wasn't happy with, but I decided to let them go and see if they bothered anybody else. Thankfully not! :giggle I think I mentioned in my feedback thread that I had wanted to capture the apps screen to further juxtapose the old/new feeling, but she kept getting interested in the music she was playing and fiddling around with the screen and this shot caught it when it was blank. Maybe it's better like this? Dunno.

The other thing - and I'm relieved nobody commented on it! - is the cropped sleeve on the rh side. Sadly, that's how the shot was framed in camera, so I had NO width-crop choices at all!! I almost cropped more in from the top so that the hat would also have a smidge out of it and it might look more intentional rolleyes1.gif but I liked the proportion otherwise so decided to leave it

Lastly, there's an added piece of "yesterday" in this shot, too, which makes it a special one for me: the costume was once mine. I had to remake the bodice since the original - made by my own mother out of felt - had disintegrated over the years! Here's me in the same costume (give or take the remake) just a year older than she is now. The colours are actually just as bright IRL now as then - it's the treatment I used which makes it seem faded.

Thanks again for all your encouragement! iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Congratulations Diva!!! Love the back story. Thanks for sharing it.

Congratulations to the other top 5 finishers and to all who entered. I was amazed at how wonderful and creative the entries were.

Virginia

PS - I hope that you have some special plans for thanking your model!

Email
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 4, 2010
    Congrates Divamum and all the runners up!clap.gif Superb work!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Big congrats Diva. I have been looking for a way to create a renaissance look for some time, but to no avail. Good job clap.gifclapclap.gif