Options

Congratulations ilbcnu for the DSS #56 (Panning or Painting) Winning Photo!!

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited August 16, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
DSS #56 (Panning or Painting)

Thank you everyone for your patience. This round was really fun to watch unfold into beautiful images.

Your awesome judges sweetharmony and Angela Davis, agreed on three images, giving you 17 finalists to choose from.
Congratulations to all of you! :clap :clap :clap :clap
The poll will remain open for 72 hours, and any previously registered member of DGrin may vote. :D

sgonen - Del Mar
951164907_zcwtp-L.jpg

Silvereye - Coming out of the Dark
952296615_DeaCp-L.jpg

The Curious Camel - Balloon chaser
956608143_WZarS-L.jpg

Kidzmom - Childhood Elation
956966250_5upv3-L.jpg

Jenn - Monitoring the Earth
957877840_TDk2o-L.jpg

Jeepzj94 - Pure Delight
957998316_QVvrR-L.jpg

ilbcnu - secret spot
959515724_sUJRY-L.jpg

pixelsilver - twins
962175487_iho5S-L.jpg

Johnloguk - "Inside the Twister"
962930663_UdKDA-L.jpg

Froch - D80 LightPaint
963182528_4ut6K-L.jpg

Aspecto5 - A Run Through the Forest
963367487_9mWme-L.jpg

Johnrog - Lightness of being
963379561_gsUSY-L.jpg

JR303 - The Dance
963463999_K3BuP-L.jpg

JAG - light impressionist
963478799_cyGHf-L.jpg

ghinson - Harbor Launch
963618119_8mjXH-L.jpg

AndMan - Carving
963629974_wWnRw-L.jpg

liflander - wheeeee!
963743455_iKLdt-L.jpg

Vote for the DSS #56 (Panning or Painting) Winning Photo! 107 votes

sgonen - Del Mar
18% 20 votes
Silvereye - Coming out of the Dark
1% 2 votes
The Curious Camel - Balloon chaser
14% 15 votes
Kidzmom - Childhood Elation
4% 5 votes
Jenn - Monitoring the Earth
3% 4 votes
Jeepzj94 - Pure Delight
7% 8 votes
ilbcnu - secret spot
19% 21 votes
pixelsilver - twins
4% 5 votes
Johnloguk - "Inside the Twister"
0% 0 votes
Froch - D80 LightPaint
2% 3 votes
Aspecto5 - A Run Through the Forest
2% 3 votes
Johnrog - Lightness of being
8% 9 votes
JR303 - The Dance
0% 1 vote
JAG - light impressionist
1% 2 votes
ghinson - Harbor Launch
2% 3 votes
AndMan - Carving
4% 5 votes
liflander - wheeeee!
0% 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    Angela DavisAngela Davis Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Awesome Job Everyone! thumb.gif
  • Options
    CameraHappyAnnieCameraHappyAnnie Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2010
    Good luck to all the finalists!
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Good luck everyone!

Jen - you did it!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Truly honored to be in this final round! Congrats to all. Fun challenge with alot of creativity!!!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Wow! Thank you judges! Good luck to all the finalists. :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Some really wonderful images in this challenges so a huge thank you to the judges for including my image in their selection.
    Congrats & good luck to all the finalists and especially to Jenn on making her first voting round.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Thanks so much for including my entry in the vote! I'm always so very honored to be included :) So much creativity this round. I enjoyed seeing so much diversity and creativity! Great job to absolutely everyone this round!
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Congrats to allclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Thanks Judges!! I'm honored to have finally made it to a voting round! As always, there are some amazing shots to choose from... Good luck to everyone in the running!
  • Options
    JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Well this was an unexpected surprise. Thank you judges, and good luck to all.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Congrats to all of the finalists! Well deserved. Good luck in the voting round! clap.gif

Special shout out to JohnRog and Jenn for their first time in the voting round! You both submitted excellent entries. wings.gif
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 11, 2010
    Congrates to all on making it to the voting round. Thank you judges for picking mine! I am always at awe when that happens!
  • Options
    fotoeffectsfotoeffects Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    After a very challenging round, we have an excellent group of finalists. Congratulations to all of you in the finals and good luck on the voiting!
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Congrats everyone. 17images...wow...

I may be jumping the gun here, and this may also be unpopular, but I want to express my disappointment in the lack of commentary in both this challenge and the previous one from the judges. I'm probably wrong, but my expectation is that if you are awarded the responsibility, and if you volunteer for it, you should have the courtesy to comment on each photo in the challenge. This especially if you've won a challenge. As a winner, you have proven that your cream has risen to the top, and you may have valuable insight that can be shared. For those judges recently that have made the effort to comment fully....kudos! I know, and have stated in commentary, that I've gained perspective from some of those comments.

P
  • Options
    silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Froch wrote: »

I may be jumping the gun here, and this may also be unpopular, but I want to express my disappointment in the lack of commentary in both this challenge and the previous one from the judges. I'm probably wrong, but my expectation is that if you are awarded the responsibility, and if you volunteer for it, you should have the courtesy to comment on each photo in the challenge. This especially if you've won a challenge. As a winner, you have proven that your cream has risen to the top, and you may have valuable insight that can be shared. For those judges recently that have made the effort to comment fully....kudos! I know, and have stated in commentary, that I've gained perspective from some of those comments.

P

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Thanks to the judges for including my image. It was certainly lots of fun.

Thanks to Sherstone for bringing us some wonderful topics to challenge us.

Peace, gail

Good luck everyone
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Froch wrote: »

P

The judges have never been required to comment on all of the images, It is suggested that they comment on the ones that they chose. I understand your disappointment Froch, but you are possibly expecting more than some judges have time or willingness to do. It is greatly appreciated how much energy you yourself have put into commenting and contributing, unfortunately not everyone will have the same energy level as you.

I myself try very hard to take the time to comment on all of the images when I have judged and know first hand how long a task it is. It is not easy, nor is everyone able to express themselves easily. I think we should just appreciate the fact that as a community we are willing to share and help each other as much as time allows.
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Good luck everyone!

Jen - you did it!

OMG! I didn't even know! I glanced over the votes thread and didn't see my image mentioned. Laughing.gif

My son was in a motorcycle accident last sunday (Aug. 1)... morning and broke his leg and a bone in his face.. road rash .. :hurtetc. Today he had surgery to put the rod into the leg bone that he broke. I just assumed I wasn't in the running again.

What a pleasant surprise! :D I needed some good news. thanks whoever picked my image :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Congrats to all of the finalists! Well deserved. Good luck in the voting round! clap.gif

Special shout out to JohnRog and Jenn for their first time in the voting round! You both submitted excellent entries. wings.gif

I don't know what to say .... eek7.gif thanks!! :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    AndMan wrote: »
    Some really wonderful images in this challenges so a huge thank you to the judges for including my image in their selection.
    Congrats & good luck to all the finalists and especially to Jenn on making her first voting round.

thanks AndMan! I'm really surprised! wings.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    The judges have never been required to comment on all of the images, It is suggested that they comment on the ones that they chose. I understand your disappointment Froch, but you are possibly expecting more than some judges have time or willingness to do. It is greatly appreciated how much energy you yourself have put into commenting and contributing, unfortunately not everyone will have the same energy level as you.

I myself try very hard to take the time to comment on all of the images when I have judged and know first hand how long a task it is. It is not easy, nor is everyone able to express themselves easily. I think we should just appreciate the fact that as a community we are willing to share and help each other as much as time allows.

Thanks Sean. :o) I've written this 100 different ways, but bottom line is you're right. I may be expecting too much.
    I'm going to resume my commitment to comment on all the images starting this next round. I stopped for specific reasons.
    Know that I'll continue to find something positive in every image submitted, and may at times find things that don't work for me personally.
    I hope everyone understands that. As always, they are my personal feelings. I would never try to tell you something is wrong or right. Only how it relates to me.
    And, as I've said on more than a couple of instances, the comments I make are more for me. If I can dissect the image, and verbalize what I see, it helps me to file that away for future use. It's a good exercise.
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Oh! So the judges are supposed to post their comments before the final vote is cast? It was my thinking that the judges should wait so as to not influence the final selection. Sean and Froch, as a judge on this round, I have every intention of commenting on images and, ironically, I've been looking back at the last few rounds to see how other judges commented and am surprised at the relative dearth of judge-provided commentary.....I thought it was required as a condition to collect your prize.

And Froch, I've been a bit nervous about commenting on this round, seeing as how it's my first judging, I'm relatively new here, and the other judge and I didn't agree on many of our choices. The fact that you have commented so prolifically and positively has bolstered my confidence.

Jenn, hope your son recovers well and speedily.

And thank you to all contestants for giving us such a thorough challenge to judge. I greatly look forward to see who is picked in the polls!
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Leah, thanks for jumping in.
    First off I had every confidence that you would be commenting. At the time of my writing the response to Paul (Froch) I had not actually checked to see if you or our guest judge had made any comments. There is not any hard "rule" that says exactly when a judge is to post comments, your idea of waiting until after the public vote makes sense and if that is how you are more comfortable doing it then great!

To be clear Leah is correct, as a commitment to winning, the main judge is supposed to provide their thoughts on each of the 10 images that they chose. It has always been up to the individual person if they comment beyond that 10. When it comes to the guest judge, I always urge them to make comments but it is of course not "required".

I have been reluctant to move this particular part of the thread to "General discussion" but suggest that any future discussion regarding procedures be done there.

Lets get back to the topic at hand.... Congratulations again everyone for making it to this public vote! clap.gif

We have over 24 hours left to vote and if you haven't done so yet, please do so.

Thanks
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Congrats finalists! A bunch of wonderful pictures!
    Thanks to everyone who commented on my C&C thread and in the gallery - it's helped a great deal.

My vote is in! :)
    edited August 12, 2010

Jenn, hope your son recovers well and speedily.
    thanks ..... he's pretty sore today, but out of the hospital.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Congratulations ilbcnu for the DSS #56 (Panning or Painting) Winning Photo!
    Announcing the Top 5 Images for DSS round #56 (Panning or Painting)

Wow this was a close one, and stayed pretty close pretty much throughout the voting!

A big congratulations goes to ilbcnu for first place:
    secret spot
    959515724_sUJRY-L.jpg

The following photographers are now qualified to participate in the next Mega-Challenge:

ilbcnu
    sgonen
    The Curious Camel
    Johnrog
    Jeepzj94

Congratulations Everyone! clap.gifthumb.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Congrats. Excellent job.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Good job, guys! I couldn't wait to see who won this one~
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Very nice! Congrats everyone!
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Way to go Amanda!....Sweet shotclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain