Tools in Organizer...b0rked?

12346»

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    Did I miss it, or is the reworked Photo Editor still in the works? ne_nau.gif
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    Did I miss it, or is the reworked Photo Editor still in the works? ne_nau.gif

I don't know if more modifications are forthcoming to the existing (new) tool in SM, but there is another tool in development, for batch editing. Right now Nicholas' tool for Chrome is the only way to do batch editing. I don't think SM has said more about whether additional edits are coming to the tool they have, or about when a batch tool will be available.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,213 moderator
    edited July 7, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I don't know if more modifications are forthcoming to the existing (new) tool in SM.
    Baldy committed to bringing back the batch editor in this post. I haven't seen an update on it though; I think that's what W.W. Webster is asking about, an update.

--- Denise
  • steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2014
    I have been using the organizer tool and it seems that it does batch editing to me or am I missing something? I was thinking about how well it works for titles and keywords when doing single photos or when working with more than one.

I don't really remember the Legacy tool very well and I have thought this new keyword tool has a nice logical feel and the work flow is very smooth -- pretty much just using the keyboard. Of course my batch editing is probably really small compared to others so I may not understand the problems others face.

Anyway, I was going to write to SmugMug and tell them how much I liked how the new organizer is working for me. I had a really hard time warming up to it but now it seems very comfortable to use.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2014
    steveL wrote: »
    I have been using the organizer tool and it seems that it does batch editing to me or am I missing something? I was thinking about how well it works for titles and keywords when doing single photos or when working with more than one.

I don't really remember the Legacy tool very well and I have thought this new keyword tool has a nice logical feel and the work flow is very smooth -- pretty much just using the keyboard. Of course my batch editing is probably really small compared to others so I may not understand the problems others face.

Anyway, I was going to write to SmugMug and tell them how much I liked how the new organizer is working for me. I had a really hard time warming up to it but now it seems very comfortable to use.

I recommend trying the chrome extension for a while and compare how long the same task takes you. The smugmug tool is extremely slow and much more prone to errors. If you're putting the same caption and keywords on all your photos, either will do. But if you caption every photo and apply different keywords, the chrome extension is so much better.

Dave
    edited July 8, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I recommend trying the chrome extension for a while and compare how long the same task takes you. The smugmug tool is extremely slow and much more prone to errors. If you're putting the same caption and keywords on all your photos, either will do. But if you caption every photo and apply different keywords, the chrome extension is so much better.

Dave

I just recently started using Chrome and really like it. I would try that extension but I am concerned that I would mess everything up just when this little laptop seems to be working so well. I only post a few pictures at a time so its not a big deal to me -- but if I did a hundred or so I would be looking for the fastest way to get it done. I like pp but keywords and caption/titles seem like work. Sometimes I will try to add something to the caption to make the process more fun. I will keep your recommendation in mind though, thanks.
    edited July 9, 2014
    Just used the new organizer again and I have to say it is very good. Also it is very fast. I wonder what you mean by slow? Is it the internet connection or the software at the SmugMug server? I have a fairly fast connection so maybe we are seeing different results.
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2014
    steveL wrote: »
    Just used the new organizer again and I have to say it is very good. Also it is very fast. I wonder what you mean by slow? Is it the internet connection or the software at the SmugMug server? I have a fairly fast connection so maybe we are seeing different results.

steveL, it is not the connect speed or server responsiveness that is the issue. It is the number of clicks and steps involved to put a unique caption or keyword on hundreds of photos at a sitting. That is what us detractors mean when we say it takes too much time with the existing tool (compared to the previous tool, and compared to Nick's Chrome extension tool.)
    Gary
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2014
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    steveL, it is not the connect speed or server responsiveness that is the issue. It is the number of clicks and steps involved to put a unique caption or keyword on hundreds of photos at a sitting. That is what us detractors mean when we say it takes too much time with the existing tool (compared to the previous tool, and compared to Nick's Chrome extension tool.)
    Gary

Exactly. My most recent gallery has 172 photos. Each with unique keywords... captions still in progress. Can't even imagine doing it in the new tool. Nick's extension is so much smoother and much less frustrating. No saving after every edit, no going from screen to screen to make selections and switch between captions and keywords, etc. All in one place... and you can click a thumbnail for a larger view. Very similar to smugmug's old tool but with great new features. Probably most importantly is the ability to save changes without leaving the tool. What a time saver.

Dave
  • tundracampertundracamper Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    snowyowl wrote: »
    I decided to change how I title and caption my pictures on Smugmug. It would have been easy using the old tool but has to be done individually with the new set up. I've done about 5000 pictures so far but still have a long way to go. Downloading the Chrome add-on might help, I don't know, but don't plan to do so. I don't like or trust Chrome besides which I pay for Smugmug and expect it to be the complete package that it used to be. I don't expect or want to go to external sources to modify it in order for it to be properly functional.

I am curious what you ended up doing. I am really disappointed that SM removed the old bulk-caption tool. :cry The new one is so cumbersome when only one part of a caption needs to be edited for 500+ images. I guess they are just targeting customers that have 50 images and not those of us with hundreds. Perhaps it's time to start looking for an alternative...
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,213 moderator
    edited August 13, 2014
    I am curious what you ended up doing. I am really disappointed that SM removed the old bulk-caption tool. :cry The new one is so cumbersome when only one part of a caption needs to be edited for 500+ images. I guess they are just targeting customers that have 50 images and not those of us with hundreds. Perhaps it's time to start looking for an alternative...
    See the thread New bulk title/caption/keyword editor extension now available for a link to a bulk tool (for Chrome) created by thenickdude.

--- Denise
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    See the thread New bulk title/caption/keyword editor extension now available for a link to a bulk tool (for Chrome) created by thenickdude.

--- Denise
    Agree. He created a Chrome extension that's far beyond what we had in legacy for bulk editing of
    caption, title and keywords. Also has a bulk thumbnail cropping tool.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited August 13, 2014
    This tool is absolutely indispensable for me and is the only reason I use Chrome as my default browser. Nicholas produced an excellent solution within days of the need being identified.

Unfortunately SmugMug wasn't convinced the need for such a tool existed as no "use case" for it had been produced, and based on their assessment that this function would be relevant for only a small subset of its customer base who kick up a fuss on Dgrin. So it wouldn't be sensible to expect SmugMug will produce such a comprehensive and elegant tool as Nicholas has made available.

However, be aware there is a bug. If you have set an image to "hide" status and then update the title, caption or keywords for that image using Nick's tool, the status will revert to "show" - which may come as a surprise if you are not aware of it! In this case you need to remember to reset the show/hide flag to "hide".
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    edited August 13, 2014
    Webster, I hadn't seen that bug before! I'll see if I can get that fixed.
    Excellent! thumb.gif
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    Webster, I hadn't seen that bug before! I'll see if I can get that fixed.
    Nick, you are awesome mate!

Is that OK to say to a Kiwi? My daughter lives in Australia so it just comes out naturally. :)
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
    edited August 14, 2014
    Excellent! thumb.gif

Hm, I tried it out and I couldn't replicate that fault here. It may have been a transient problem at SmugMug, can you try again?
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    Nick, you are awesome mate!

Is that OK to say to a Kiwi? My daughter lives in Australia so it just comes out naturally. :)

Yup, we understand that one :). The NZ equivalent is probably "chur, bro!"
    edited August 20, 2014
    Hm, I tried it out and I couldn't replicate that fault here. It may have been a transient problem at SmugMug, can you try again?
    Funny that - the fault appears to have disappeared! Thanks for your willingness to look into this. thumb.gif
    edited September 11, 2014
    The bulk edit function in thenickdude's Chrome extension appears to be broken. It was working fine yesterday but today it displays this message -
    Failed to connect to your SmugMug site! Please press refresh and try again.
    I don't know if SmugMug has changed something to break it, or whether there's another explanation.

Nicholas, can you please take a look? I'm totally lost without this!
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    It's not working for me either, same error message. And this time I'm in a gallery properly to check it.
    Further to my previous post, behind the error message the extension is displaying the following message while a wheel icon spins endlessly -
    Please wait while the photos from this gallery are loaded...
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    It's not working for me either, same error message. And this time I'm in a gallery properly to check it.
    Thanks Chancy. I also tried it with a very small gallery, holding just six images, to ensure the problem wasn't due to a problem at SmugMug with completing large galleries, with the same result.
    edited September 13, 2014
    Looks like SmugMug has tightened security up a bit and I need to add a workaround; I've now fixed this problem with the release of version 0.4.0.11.

Chrome will auto-update to that version after a few hours, but you can speed it up by updating manually. Click the Chrome main menu button, then Tools -> Extensions. Tick the "developer mode" tickbox at the top right, then click the "Update extensions now" button. You should see the version number next to the "Unofficial SmugMug extension for Chrome" tick over to 0.4.0.11 after a few minutes.