2»

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Would this be cold enough for you, gus?
    Feels Like: -45
    and
    Wind chill warning for: City of Edmonton-St. Albert-Sherwood ParkIssued at 10:24 AM MST MONDAY 28 JANUARY 2008

EXTREME WIND CHILLS TODAY. THIS IS A WARNING THAT EXTREME WIND CHILL CONDITIONS ARE IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.
    AN ARCTIC RIDGE HAS INVADED THE PROVINCE BRINGING COLD TEMPERATURES. THE COLD AIR COMBINED WITH BRISK NORTHWESTERLY WINDS ARE GIVING WIND CHILL VALUES BELOW MINUS 40 AND LOCALIZED BLOWING SNOW. WINDS WILL GRADUALLY DIMINISH AS THE RIDGE SETTLES INTO ALBERTA HOWEVER TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN BITTERLY COLD THROUGHOUT THE WEEK.

PLEASE REFER TO THE LATEST PUBLIC FORECASTS FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

gus wrote:
    Its 6.21am here atm & the thermometer beside me in my little office says 27.5 C (82f) & humid.

A day or 2 of cold would be nice.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I am contemplating calling a realtor instead of a travel agent.

Anyone in a warm climate hiring? I am multiskilled, come with a hubby who can cook .....

It will be -26 C here on Wednesday. Come on down, that the perfect time to get shots like this.

Take when it was -26 C
    245356320-M.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Ah Winter... fond memories
    OK, the moment has passed! :D

Back east I used to hate November -- all the leaves were gone and it seemed the days were gray the entire month. The main reason we moved was for better weather.

I too, remember those $500 a month oil bills, and while I remember driving in Connecticut one night on a small road with big soft snowflakes gently coming down turning the mundane into a winter paradise, I also remember the snow plows plowing in our freshly shoveled driveway, going out and spending 15 minutes with the ice scrapper trying to be able to see enough to drive, walking on the sidewalk, only to be hit with a filthy, watery slush by a passing truck, the short days, people on the subway and buses so loaded down wearing coats, hats, scarves and gloves that it left less room on the seats to sit.

I remember bundling up the girls and having the snow be higher than the youngest one. I remember fear and anxiety just trying to leave my house and walking down slippery ice and snow coated steps and hoping I didn't fall, or hubby didn't fall. Then there was just the incessant cold and dreariness.

So while I occasionally dream of snow covered branches, bright red and blue birds flying around and landing looking for food at my feeder, ice hanging from the eaves sparkling like crystals -- the bad outweighs the good.

If it gets desperate enough we could drive a couple of hours and "visit" the snow -- except that we don't have snow chains! :D

One year it snowed less than an hour away, and the snow was less than one inch deep, my daughter and I had a blast! It was gone in 3 days. I was hoping to get a snow fix this year, but the snow was rained out.

Now there's something blooming all year round and the problem season for us is -- summer! We live in fog land and that gets dreary... so then I have to drive an hour to go visit the sun! Just can't win no matter where you are.

Oh, and from back east -- the summer was JUST as bad with the high heat and high humidity. I was only able to enjoy 3 months out of the entire year, May and half of June, half of September and October... now I get to enjoy 10 months out of the year. And no $500 fuel bills!

I feel for you Ann... and winter just does seem to drag on and on and on. And when you work, leaving in the dark, and driving home in the dark, that's the worst!
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    davev wrote:
    It will be -26 C here on Wednesday. Come on down, that the perfect time to get shots like this.

Take when it was -26 C
    245356320-M.jpg

Uh, are they frozen like that, stuck to the ice?

[just kidding]:lol :lol [/it was a joke]
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    At least it has quit snowing!
    Tuesday
    Morning Tuesday-38°C
    Afternoon Tuesday -29°C
    Evening Tuesday -32°C
    Overnight-36°C

T
    FEELS LIKE - -39 -43
    WIND SE 10km/h SE 15km/h SE 15km/h SE 10km/h
    HUMIDITY 67% 68% 70% 78%
    We don't expect any precipitation from Tuesday Morning to Tuesday Overnight.

Long Term Forecast

Wednesday Jan 30 -27°C
    Thursday Jan 31 -25°C
    Friday Feb 1-23°C
    Saturday Feb 2 -20°C-
    Sunday Feb 3 -18°C
    Monday Feb 4 -16°C
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Here's my plug for Southern California: short mild winter and toasty dry summer; easily accessible winter activities in the mountains and year round beach activities. But like anything in life, there's a price for everything. In this case the price is the ridiculous housing cost and an occasional boogie by the terra firma.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Here's my plug for Southern California: short mild winter and toasty dry summer; easily accessible winter activities in the mountains and year round beach activities. But like anything in life, there's a price for everything. In this case the price is the ridiculous housing cost and an occasional boogie by the terra firma.

Cuong

:stfu
    Shut up! If you go telling everyone, they all want to come here! Oh, wait...too late. :D Just remember SF in 1908! Yeah, that's it. And Northridge. Bridges & buildings falling, cats & dogs living together! Move along, nothing to see here. :D:D

BTW, gotta love that cloudy, 20% chance of rain & 77 deg is "Severe Weather" rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Wind Chill advisories today.....Right now -13 with the wind chill of
    -41....Could be worse, as it could be cloudy instead of sunny :D

Although I do dream of sunny beaches, a good book and camera by my
    side.

I think they call our cold weather like this an Alberta Clipper rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    It's good to be in Florida....

5day_640x480.jpg

Year round for that matter!! clap.gif :ivar wings.gif

:cry I want this.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    On the 11 p.m. news last night there was a reminder that you would be subject to fines for putting your pets outside in this weather. I looked out my back window (with my dog sleeping securely on the sofa) to see the porcupine in the bird feeder. He must have been really hungry to leave his warm spruce tree and climb up into the platform feeder in those temps! Poor guy.
  • Options
    djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    On the 11 p.m. news last night there was a reminder that you would be subject to fines for putting your pets outside in this weather. I looked out my back window (with my dog sleeping securely on the sofa) to see the porcupine in the bird feeder. He must have been really hungry to leave his warm spruce tree and climb up into the platform feeder in those temps! Poor guy.

should have got that picture. that would be funny.
    EVGENY:D
    www.petrovphotography.com
    http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
    Canon 430EX Flash
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    yukio wrote:

Cuong

Oh, and that lovely fog you have in the valley up by Pasadena in August. That would be, uh, marine layer, right? So thick sometimes you can't see across to the mountains on the other side.

lol3.giflol3.gif

And if you think it's fun to drive in the Midwest after a snow storm, nothing beats watching people on the 101 hit their brakes during a downpour after no rain for 3 months. Oil does float!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Real Estate - anybody got some for sale? Preferably near a beach, somewhere that the seasonal low never goes below zero and where the daylight hours in December are greater than 7???????
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I feel your pain Anne. Tonight it was -5 with up to 50 mph winds. The cold isn't so bad but wind like that cuts through just about anything you're wearing. I had to go outside and open up the cars of a bunch of the ladies at work. Their car doors were all frozen shut. It was almost 50F when I got to work this afternoon.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Oh, and that lovely fog you have in the valley up by Pasadena in August. That would be, uh, marine layer, right? So thick sometimes you can't see across to the mountains on the other side.

lol3.giflol3.gif

And if you think it's fun to drive in the Midwest after a snow storm, nothing beats watching people on the 101 hit their brakes during a downpour after no rain for 3 months. Oil does float!

Heh. SoCal has nothing over the central coast for fog (SLO up to SF). So thick you can't see the car 50' in front of you. There's a reason all their street lights are amber.

Yeah, it's good times on the road when water has the audacity to fall from the sky around here.

I'd still rather be here than most anyplace else, though.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    Windchill is a terrible thing. Another warning last night about leaving pets outdoors - a cat was found frozen to the sidewalk - it will recover.

More tragically, a man was found suffering hypothermia and frostbite. He was hospitalized. When he became coherent again he asked about his infant daughters. One was found frozen to death, the other has not been found.

gluwater wrote:
    I feel your pain Anne. Tonight it was -5 with up to 50 mph winds. The cold isn't so bad but wind like that cuts through just about anything you're wearing. I had to go outside and open up the cars of a bunch of the ladies at work. Their car doors were all frozen shut. It was almost 50F when I got to work this afternoon.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Oh the irony! We have had 3 weeks of bitter cold - I figure more than 80% of the hours have had temps below -20C. That is 403/504 hours. So today, there was visibly more light in the morning sky - day break was approaching by 7 a.m.! It was about 0C (32F) first thing this morning and reached a glorious 9C(48F)!
    It is beautiful - shirt sleeved weather. I shovelled the packed down snow that fell when it was -30C, and my daughter took her laptop outside to absorb some rays.

Just as much as the onset of winter and extreme weather bring me down, the beginning of warmer weather lighten my mood. Winters not over, but at least we have a peek into what is to come.

ann
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    . Winters not over, but at least we have a peek into what is to come.

ann
    Ann ...the world turns. I got up at 4am & went for a walk this morning (just got down to 20c at that hour) & decided that i needed a shirt on for the first time in 4 months. Funny how it swaps so evenly 'eh ?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Ann ...the world turns. I got up at 4am & went for a walk this morning (just got down to 20c at that hour) & decided that i needed a shirt on for the first time in 4 months. Funny how it swaps so evenly 'eh ?

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Something needs to be said about you Aussies putting on clothes while we are taking them off......but I'll leave that to others! :D
  • Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    It is still cold here in Toronto.
    We've had a winter-full of snow in the last couple of weeks.
    There is no where to put all the snow we have now and more is expected this weekend.
    The mayor has set up a plan to remove the snow from the side streets because fire and garbage trucks can't get down them anymore.
    Maybe it is time to call in the army. :D

Sure is pretty tho...
    250204440_omtVN-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    :ivar wings.gif Sorry I can't resist....

5day_640x480.jpg

Hopefully the cold front moving thru Tuesday/Wednesday will be the last of the strong ones for this year and warm up will begin in ernest after then.

p.s. It's okay...you hate me blbl.gif
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    -.-
  • Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    :ivar wings.gif Sorry I can't resist....

5day_640x480.jpg

Hopefully the cold front moving thru Tuesday/Wednesday will be the last of the strong ones for this year and warm up will begin in ernest after then.

Actually, I like snow...I just don't want it all at once.
    Luckily, the snow scheduled for tomorrow is now going to be rain.
    Slush is my big enemy...yuck!

But I will put up with the snow and slush (don't have a problem with cold as long as it isn't too windy) for the joy I have in the spring.
    I really couldn't give up my 4 seasons.
    And I couldn't give up my country...it's just too nice here ( nice being the operative, and boring, word for us :D )

ps - Ann, I heard about that hockey game in Edmonton wrapping up this weekend - 10 days long?! And they were playing outside when it was -40!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Actually, I like snow...for the joy I have in the spring.
    I really couldn't give up my 4 seasons.

I like snow too, I really dislike being cold. Monica, I was in Toronto in January, and it was nice and warm (2C or so). The climate in TO is MUCH milder than here! We have snow, continuously, from Hallowe'en to Easter, and often longer. Our spring starts May long weekend, and lasts into June, then we have the 'warmth' of summer (avg temp 23C) followed by fall that may last a few weeks in Sept - first frost typically Labour Day-ish.

And I couldn't give up my country...it's just too nice here ( nice being the operative, and boring, word for us :D )

I love Canada, too. I just don't love Edmonton's weather!

ps - Ann, I heard about that hockey game in Edmonton wrapping up this weekend - 10 days long?! And they were playing outside when it was -40!

Yep, this is about the fourth year they have done something like this as a fundraiser for Cancer research. It was started by a man named Brent Saik, after his wife passed away from cancer leaving him with very young children. The first event was a weekend on the ice at his acreage, and it has grown into a week long event. Pretty amazing!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008

Why would I hate you - you just had ancestors smart enough to migrate somewhere warm!!!!
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Why would I hate you - you just had ancestors smart enough to migrate somewhere warm!!!!

Yeah, but constant warm/hot gets old also. I lived just outside New Orleans for nearly 18 years and I knew it is getting time to leave when they were spraying for mosquitoes on Christmas eve...

Now live in Tulsa where we get all 4 seasons just not an exobitant amount of any of them which I personally like.

BTW, it is 41 degrees F here with rain. Snow expected tomorrow... But next week it will be 60 degrees F and sunny. Will Rogers had a line: "If you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, wait a minute..."

Regards

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

No I did that on my own. After my parents moved from their bith place of Virgina to Ohio and then on to Mass, it was me who first moved south to remain warmer in the winter months. Thus I ended up in central Floirda 20 years ago. And not to long after did my parents moved themselves to Savannah, Ga. Closer to their relatives and vastly warmer then Ipswich Mass is.

Generally I don't invite more people to move to Florida but I'll make and exception to you and your family provided you know how to drive like you want to get where you're going today. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Just for you ann. I was out on the west side of town yesterday..it did read 44c (111f) at one stage. I have no idea how accurate these things in cars are but it read that the whole time i was driving (..and it was a hot day).

257859837_4kP87-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Just for you ann. ..it did read 44c (111f) at one stage.

Right back at ya, gus (from a few weeks ago)

257955551_t3CsM-M.jpg

I didn't think my thermometer would read that low - the dh's car stops at -29C.
    This was the day my windshield cracked because the difference between air temp in and out of the car was so great!

Its about 0C right now, and the days are getting longer - whew. Light at the end of the tunnel.