Options

New to the business and need some suggestion

Captured ImageCaptured Image Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 25, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello fellow colleagues and experts:

While I have been taking pictures for years, I am new to starting a photography business (and new SmugMug user). What started out as a pure hobby, has turned into a full time passion of mine! I need some candid feedback on my current portfolio:

http://tuanvu.smugmug.com/gallery/6242599_CGTpn#413743964_Avvgp

as well as any suggestive ideas for setting up packaging and pricing. I am not looking to be rich here, purely what's important to me is pure enjoyment of the craft and helping others capture their precious memories. I am looking to learn the experts and current established professional of the trade.

Regards,

Tuan

Comments

• Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Don't hang out a shingle just yet. For now invite friends and family to use your services while you build up that portfolio. I took a look, and there are some nice shots in there, however there are also ones I would remove. Only show your best. I think I would cull that down to the best 6 shots and then start adding new ones. Since it's apparent that you are using your children, believe me we all do, I would find some other subjects to increase the diversity of your work. Also stick to the outdoors. Your outdoor work is far better then your "studio".

Too often we rush to open the business before we master the craft. I waited a long time before I had the guts to put myself out there as a "pro". Looking back I still wonder if I went just a bit too soon. My work from even two years ago is significantly poorer than the work I do now. However at some point you just have to go for it.

I won't get into all the things one ought to consider about running a business, I will leave that for others. As to your work, honestly I think it needs some development, but you are on the right track.

Please don't think this post a slam, you asked for candid response and I hope that is what I have done. I am not saying don't go for it, I am saying think long term and build yourself up first. Consider the impression you will leave with clients if you go into business too soon, and how long it may take to change that impression.

I hope that all helps. Best of luck and keep at it. Your children are very cute by the way. thumb.gif

--Matt
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    When I first started taking photos for money, I only offered outdoor because I couldn't consistently offer good studio style photos. I also started with friends and didn't charge much. Then as I gained experience, and got better equipment, I started asking more. I still don't advertise, I just get business by word of mouth. My point is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can start to make a little money doing the kind of photography you're good at without having to offer it all. If you work hard, you can learn fast in your weaker areas.

I agree with the above post that you should choose your strongest handful of photos for your portfolio and work to add more using other subjects. Recruit your kids' friends as subjects. I had a good response when I asked people I knew if they'd help me build my portfolio.

Caroline
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Just looking at your gallery, I agree - you're on the right track, but I'm not sure it has that "wow" factor. I'd suggest learning as much as you can about composition. Almost every single shot on your site is dead-center. I think (for the most part) you have a decent handle on lighting, (though some seem a little flat), but the greatest amount of ground can be gained by learning about composition. Start with the rule of thirds.

Most importantly, spend some time on here, looking at what others are doing, and trying really hard to emulate it. We learn by mimicking. Find someone whose work you like and see if you can copy it. Then do it ten more times with different people in different settings. Then, try a variation. You'll learn quickly!

Good Luck,
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    Captured ImageCaptured Image Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2008
    Thank you
    Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to review my work and the time to provide your feedbacks. No offense taken, I truly want candid feedback...it's the best way to learn.

du8die, I do agree on the composition feedback. I do often find myself running out of ideas for poses and how I should compose a particular shot. Will continue to look through the forum here and learn from the best.

sweet caroline, great idea on recruiting friends and neighbors!

Matt, I sincerely appreciate your candid feedback, and no worries, no offense taken.

Tuan
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Tuan, great! clap.gif

BTW Caroline is right on in the advice about friends and family. A great way to start and it will bring in some modest cash flow as well.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site