the dgrin suggestion box

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 1, 2011
    Thanks for your original note on smilies. You had me until you replied to Don. He's correct you know--those you might find offensive, don't use.

As for [noparse] ;), :) and :P[/noparse] you might try [noparse] mwink.gif, :): or blbl.gif[/noparse]. The later may be a little over the top though.

Plain words are often difficult to interpret when two people do not know each other. Emoticons, smilies, whatever you want to call them, are meant to help with the interpretation. Telling Don that his post was "slightly rude" when given what he wrote along with the emoticon he did use tells me his reply was spot on--btw, I've never met Don and his reply isn't anywhere near "slightly rude". But that's my interpretation of his reply.

BTW, given your original request, why would you want to use :P? To me, sticking your tongue out is just plain rude.

Thanks again for your original request and if you happen to find an example of a smiley you do like, post it and I'll see if we can add it in to the collection.

racer wrote: »
    Telling me "you dont have to use them", shows me that you must have totally missed my point. Dont like it, dont use it, TOTALLY misses the point I was making.
    But you do make a good example of how things are here by using a thumbs up with the big grin while telling me something slightly rude. Five times today I have read threads were someone did exactly what you just did, then the others escalated it by using the negative smileys, all while avoiding putting what they really want to say into words. We dont even have the basics like :) or :P or ;) that have been around forever, but yet we have a couple dozen ways to insult and offend people.

Anyway, its just my suggestion, to the people who run this place, I am entitled to add my own suggestions, just like everyone else. I didn't make the post to have a debate with everyone.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 2, 2011
    Couple of things here. 1) You asked for smilies that "we didn't have". I offered them to you. 2) You took offence at Don's suggestion--you should expect a reply and Don did--it was polite and respectful as was mine. Neither was rude by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sorry that you find it so but you're posting in a public forum and others may not share your opinion and they have every right to express their opinions as you do yours.

As far as not liking a post, you always have the option of reporting the post in question or posting in the request to moderators thread. The moderator of the forum will evaluate your request--please keep in mind that reporting a post doesn't mean it will be edited or deleted.

You should also be aware that just because someone uses a smiley; their intent may not be what you interpret and may instead be more good natured banter.
    ugh, THAT WASNT MY POINT, thats what I was telling Don. It wasn't my point to complain about smileys I can use. This isnt about me or what I like! Please dont use the "if you dont like it...", that IS being rude. Essentially you saying that if I dont like others giving people the finger, I should just leave the forum. My point was that people giving others the finger or a smiley hanging from a rope is being nasty, and shouldn't have a place here. My suggestion was to have some replaced with more positive smileys.

If I knew that suggestion submitted to the "suggestion box" were criticized, I wouldn't have made the post. I would have been happy with a polite "that's for the suggestion", but instead I am told that my suggestion is wrong, and if I dont like it....
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Couple of things here.

I really love it when people intentionally ignore what I say and then go about saying a bunch of stuff that they know is only going to escalate things. I really need to stop falling for this. Its really not worth my time to argue with you over this, have a nice day
    Todd - My Photos
    edited March 2, 2011
    I'm sorry but I thought I responded to what you wrote by offering you ways to deal with things you might find offensive. How would that be ignoring what you said?
    I really love it when people intentionally ignore what I say and then go about saying a bunch of stuff that they know is only going to escalate things. I really need to stop falling for this. Its really not worth my time to argue with you over this, have a nice day
  • SaffronSpiderSaffronSpider Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2011
    I had trouble understanding how to join a photo challenge - even after reading tutorial/FAQ....
    Here's my quick and dirty version:
    1. Open SmugMug in 2 tabs, switch one tab to the challenge your want to post to.
    2. Smug Mug tab: go to 'share', 'embedded URL'.
    3. Challenge tab: click on last entry, hit reply, erase/delete all text. Smug Mug tab: copy URL for your pic and paste on Challenge/Reply.

Review and submit. Hope that helps someone else. Cheers from
    Saffron Spider.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    I'm sure this has been asked before...but just in case it hasn't: Have the mods given thought to changing the name of the "Wildlife" forum to "Animals"? To my mind, this would mean that folks who have pictures of domesticated animals (especially dogs, cats and horses) would have an obvious place to post them. I'm not sure that the name "Wildlife" denotes that animals of all sorts--wild and domesticated--can be posted there...

Just an idea...I've got no strong feelings on the matter...
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    I'm sure this has been asked before...but just in case it hasn't: Have the mods given thought to changing the name of the "Wildlife" forum to "Animals"? To my mind, this would mean that folks who have pictures of domesticated animals (especially dogs, cats and horses) would have an obvious place to post them. I'm not sure that the name "Wildlife" denotes that animals of all sorts--wild and domesticated--can be posted there...

Just an idea...I've got no strong feelings on the matter...

Thanks for the input.

There hasn't been consensus on this one yet however my own feeling is that the Wildlife Forum is the best description for it. Personally I don't feel that images of kitty kats and puppy dogs belong there. However since we don't have a pet forum we allow images of domesticated animals to be posted there.

What you have to realize is that wildlife photography requires different equipment and shooting technique than other type of photography.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 3, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Thanks for the input.

There hasn't been consensus on this one yet however my own feeling is that the Wildlife Forum is the best description for it. Personally I don't feel that images of kitty kats and puppy dogs belong there. However since we don't have a pet forum we allow images of domesticated animals to be posted there.

What you have to realize is that wildlife photography requires different equipment and shooting technique than other type of photography.

Good grief, Harry. There was no need to be condescending.

I do realize that wildlife photography requires different equipment and technique. I agree and used to do a fair share of it. (And I do believe I've taken the time to compliment you on a few of your wildlife shots in the past.)

The idea simply occurred to me because I noticed there was no other place for artistic shots of domesticated animals (which comprise not only kittens and puppies, but also such animals as hunting dogs, sport horses, and beef cattle, as I am sure you know) to be posted.

Take the idea or leave it, as you will.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011

I do realize that wildlife photography requires different equipment and technique. I agree and used to do a fair share of it. (And I do believe I've taken the time to compliment you on a few of your wildlife shots in the past.)

The idea simply occurred to me because I noticed there was no other place for artistic shots of domesticated animals (which comprise not only kittens and puppies, but also such animals as hunting dogs, sport horses, and beef cattle, as I am sure you know) to be posted.

There is no condescension in Harry's reply. Just a clear explanation of why things are the way they are.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    There is no condescension in Harry's reply. Just a clear explanation of why things are the way they are.

++

And we have threads dedicated to dogs and cats, that get thousands of views and posts :)
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011

I apologize if you feel there was any condensation in my reply, none was intended. I do agree with you that there should be a place for domesticated animal captures. I would prefer a sub-forum for domesticated animal captures, zoo captures , etc but we try to avoid forum glut here.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 3, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    ++

And we have threads dedicated to dogs and cats, that get thousands of views and posts :)

That's true! And I love those threads!
    edited June 3, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    I apologize if you feel there was any condensation in my reply, none was intended. I do agree with you that there should be a place for domesticated animal captures. I would prefer a sub-forum for domesticated animal captures, zoo captures , etc but we try to avoid forum glut here.

Hey...no worries! It read to me ("what you have to realize") like you thought I was a being a bit dense...but reading text without know the personality behind it is always a bit dicey. I don't take these things to heart much, though. I apologize if I read too much into your reply.
  • JonkyJonky Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    Suggestions
    -The galleries automatically have that black border-top unless you remove it.

- tag is not recognized.
    (I tried to have an tag in the html which was inside the gallery description)

- It seems like vendor prefixes are also ignored.
    edited September 30, 2011
    Hi Jonky.

This is more a SmugMug enhancement/bug thing than related to the forum.

You can post your questions in this forum. Or if you need immediate help, email [mail][email protected][/mail] the help desk and one of the Support Heros can help you pronto.

Jonky wrote: »
    -The galleries automatically have that black border-top unless you remove it.

- <em> tag is not recognized.
    (I tried to have an <em> tag in the html which was inside the gallery description)

- It seems like vendor prefixes are also ignored.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    Well, it's not often I have a suggestion, since there's not much DGrin needs :). But I thought of something today. I'm not sure if it's possible with VB, but I thought I'd ask. It's a feature I've noticed on other forums, and I think it's really useful.

Sometimes it's useful to know who the OP is in a certain thread without going back to post #1. I was wondering if there was a way to place a marker on the OP's profile in a certain thread. Say, in a thread I start, there's a little "OP" icon under my username/info, every time I post in that thread. This would be especially helpful when a thread gets over one page long, and you're reading and forget who the OP was.

Just a thought :D
    edited October 8, 2011
    Well, it's not often I have a suggestion, since there's not much DGrin needs :). But I thought of something today. I'm not sure if it's possible with VB, but I thought I'd ask. It's a feature I've noticed on other forums, and I think it's really useful.

Sometimes it's useful to know who the OP is in a certain thread without going back to post #1. I was wondering if there was a way to place a marker on the OP's profile in a certain thread. Say, in a thread I start, there's a little "OP" icon under my username/info, every time I post in that thread. This would be especially helpful when a thread gets over one page long, and you're reading and forget who the OP was.

Just a thought :D

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll have a look at that.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    LIKE box
    Could we have a LIKE box for a thread AND responses? I only type with 2 fingers and often I want to agree with someone but am too lazy......
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited November 3, 2011
    Could we have a LIKE box for a thread AND responses? I only type with 2 fingers and often I want to agree with someone but am too lazy......

We removed that feature with DGrin 2.0. It was to simplify the forum interface, and the old star system (kind of a "like") took up room in an extra column. After some time had passed, it was not a reliable indication of popularity; similar to thread views not being a reliable indication due to web crawling search bots over-ranking an older thread. Responses, or actual posts in a thread, are the real deal. To view those stats, you can hover your pointer over the date and time of a thread on the right side of the page in a master forum view.

I know that isn't a direct answer to "liking" a thread or a post, but we have mulled over that issue many times and it wasn't a feature we thought was worth keeping moving forward.

i-PFN2j2Q-X2.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited November 3, 2011
    VayCayMom wrote: »

Are you talking about the Facebook like button? I'm not clear.

Also, it's pretty easy to type ": a g r e e" (without the spaces) to end up with this: 15524779-Ti.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    I propose we have an iPhoneography (smartphone) forum.
    Smartphone photography is increasingly becoming a medium in which photographers can showcase their work while on the go. It is by no means a replacement for a professional SLR but it does provide a unique way of shooting and editing all on the same device.

The requirements for this forum should be all shooting and editing are done within the same smartphone.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Smartphone photography is increasingly becoming a medium in which photographers can showcase their work while on the go. It is by no means a replacement for a professional SLR but it does provide a unique way of shooting and editing all on the same device.

The requirements for this forum should be all shooting and editing are done within the same smartphone.

Love the idea, let me talk it over with the mods and get back to you :D
    edited November 8, 2011

There is already a [thread=144247]thread[/thread] for this purpose.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 8, 2011
    There is already a [thread=144247]thread[/thread] for this purpose.

Yes but what I am requesting is more than a thread, I would like I full forum like "macro", "people", etc.
    My Website
    edited November 8, 2011
    Yes but what I am requesting is more than a thread, I would like I full forum like "macro", "people", etc.

We'll certainly talk about it, but we've avoided having camera-centric forums. Other photography forums will have forums for only Canon or Nikon, or simply separate out DSLRs from P&S cameras. But we've always tried to put the emphasis on the photography itself rather than the gear it was shot with in our Shots forums.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 8, 2011
    We'll certainly talk about it, but we've avoided having camera-centric forums. Other photography forums will have forums for only Canon or Nikon, or simply separate out DSLRs from P&S cameras. But we've always tried to put the emphasis on the photography itself rather than the gear it was shot with in our Shots forums.

gotcha
    My Website
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    Would DG consider a non-adobe sub-forum?
    I am kinda sick of searching through, adobe this adobe that. For those who prefer NOT to use LR or CS whatever. Can we have our own forum?

Please?

Mod Note: Moved to DG Suggestion Box
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    I am kinda sick of searching through, adobe this adobe that. For those who prefer NOT to use LR or CS whatever. Can we have our own forum?

Please?

Mod Note: Moved to DG Suggestion Box

I sort of understand this feeling-- I came to CS and LR the long way around, starting with Corel, Bibble, Lightzone ... but!

1. Doing this tends to marginalize non-adobe users even more. Think about the Flea Market-- Canon, Nikon, and everyone else getting lumped under "other." Really, if you have a question or technique for Bibble (or whatever), getting as many eyes on it as possible is better than having it languish in a subforum that most people won't visit because they feel it won't apply to them.

2. Where does the person who's Aperture-to-Photoshop workflow broke post?
  • ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2012
    Thought of an Amazing idea! What about a review forum? Where we can post reviews of various gear that we love/hate.
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website