Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• arik103arik103 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2012
    Page with all Pics in a gallery
    Hi,
    It would be nice to have a gallery view which will show all pictures at once. Something like a "Delete" page. I end up going to Delete page all the time and then clicking back button to return to gallery.
    Thanks,
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    arik103 wrote: »
    Hi,
    It would be nice to have a gallery view which will show all pictures at once. Something like a "Delete" page. I end up going to Delete page all the time and then clicking back button to return to gallery.
    Thanks,

Have you tried Thumbnails style?
    edited March 16, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Have you tried Thumbnails style?

I did go to Gallery setting and change the style to "Thumbnail". This switched me to old gallery style and did show me what I am looking for.
    I think it would be good to be able to flip between new look/thumbnail and any other view.
    Right now the only thing I can do is start a slideshow. Perhaps add an icon next to "slideshow" to switch the viewer.
    Thanks,
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    I did go to Gallery setting and change the style to "Thumbnail". This switched me to old gallery style and did show me what I am looking for.
    I think it would be good to be able to flip between new look/thumbnail and any other view.
    Right now the only thing I can do is start a slideshow. Perhaps add an icon next to "slideshow" to switch the viewer.
    Thanks,
    If you want to be able to switch between SmugMug and thumbnails style, opt out of the new gallery style via the /darkroom page (same way you opted in for the new gallery style).

That'll allow you to switch between styles via the 'style' button in a gallery if the gallery is set to style "viewer controlled". You can find the style setting in the gallery settings:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93307-gallery-settings
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    Need to Sort Gallery Lists
    One thing that is really needed is the ability to sort a list of galleries. Sort by newest, oldest and alphabetical. I have quite a few galleries and this feature is really needed.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited March 22, 2012
    If you want to be able to switch between SmugMug and thumbnails style, opt out of the new gallery style via the /darkroom page (same way you opted in for the new gallery style).

That'll allow you to switch between styles via the 'style' button in a gallery if the gallery is set to style "viewer controlled". You can find the style setting in the gallery settings:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93307-gallery-settings

Yes but we are testing a new gallery style here. I feel there should be an option to view thumbnails
    in NEW gallery style. It's very helpful to take a quick look at the gallery. Thank you.
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    One thing that is really needed is the ability to sort a list of galleries. Sort by newest, oldest and alphabetical. I have quite a few galleries and this feature is really needed.

Phil
    Perhaps I'm not understanding what you want to do (& I don't know why this has gone unanswered for so long) but anyway, I believe you should already be able to do all the things you want, unless you're talking about this capability only in the new design? I haven't looked at the new design for awhile. In the old design, you can pull up a category or sub-category page (or even an All Galleries page) & near the upper left there's an "Arrange" link. Clicking on that will take you to various sorting/arranging options just like arranging photos.... newest, oldest, alphabetically, etc. ( & you can reverse the order) You can go back to the old look temporarily to arrange your galleries, then go back to the new look. I'm pretty hopeful they will eventually have just as handy tools for arranging, etc. that we have with the old look.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
    edited March 25, 2012
    Yes but we are testing a new gallery style here. I feel there should be an option to view thumbnails
    in NEW gallery style. It's very helpful to take a quick look at the gallery. Thank you.
    I'm sorry, this test is only about the new "SmugMug style". "Thumbnails style" is a separate style that's not included in this test.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Cougar548Cougar548 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    Phil,
    I can understand that you're eagerly awaiting the release of the new gallery style. You can check out the first couple posts on the thread for details from Don (onethumb). The posts will be updated as soon as there's new information available.

And I can understand that you don't want to state any incorrect information or lead anyone on, but COME ON, the latest update from the "first couple threads" was from July of LAST YEAR! I'm sure there are many people in the same boat I am who are patiently waiting to redo their site because they do not want to have to invest more capital to redo the site again to fit the new design.
    edited April 10, 2012
    Cougar548 wrote: »
    And I can understand that you don't want to state any incorrect information or lead anyone on, but COME ON, the latest update from the "first couple threads" was from July of LAST YEAR! I'm sure there are many people in the same boat I am who are patiently waiting to redo their site because they do not want to have to invest more capital to redo the site again to fit the new design.

We'll be supporting both for a long time. So if you want to make changes now to your site, it won't be wasted.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    Perhaps I'm not understanding what you want to do (& I don't know why this has gone unanswered for so long) but anyway, I believe you should already be able to do all the things you want, unless you're talking about this capability only in the new design? I haven't looked at the new design for awhile. In the old design, you can pull up a category or sub-category page (or even an All Galleries page) & near the upper left there's an "Arrange" link. Clicking on that will take you to various sorting/arranging options just like arranging photos.... newest, oldest, alphabetically, etc. ( & you can reverse the order) You can go back to the old look temporarily to arrange your galleries, then go back to the new look. I'm pretty hopeful they will eventually have just as handy tools for arranging, etc. that we have with the old look.

To be more specific. An example would be to move images to another gallery. The list of the galleries is presented in order by date created the way I see it. It would be helpful to have it alphabetical or some other way to find a specific gallery in the list. Am I missing something?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited April 10, 2012
    We'll be supporting both for a long time. So if you want to make changes now to your site, it won't be wasted.

Yes, but then I won't be able to take advantage of your new design/features/layout so I'll have to redo it anyway. Oh well! Looking forward to the change!
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Yes, but then I won't be able to take advantage of your new design/features/layout so I'll have to redo it anyway. Oh well! Looking forward to the change!

Your original point that there hasn't been an update in 8 months is key. There's gotta be SOMETHING SM can tell us. Just placate us!
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    afarber wrote: »
    Your original point that there hasn't been an update in 8 months is key. There's gotta be SOMETHING SM can tell us. Just placate us!

Yes, I think it would go a long way to provide at a minimum quartery update on the first page of this thread. C'mon guys, throw us a bone or something geesh. :D Hey, I work in software myself and know major design/structural changes take time bottom line. So I fully expect this to take a while to do things right. But for those of us waiting, wondering how about a simple brief update.

Thanks for any info you can provide. Happy programming. thumb.gif
  • wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    The 'Shorten This Link' seems to be missing in the new UI Design?
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Been so long since I turned on the beta that I completely forgot about it, and racked my brain going thru CSS trying to figure out why my website looked so good in one browser and not the other. Was preparing to send a note to SmugHeros, then remembered this.

When you have been in beta so long that your customer's forget about it, something is not being managed well. I am a software product manager, I should know. Thanks for listening to my gripe.
    edited April 23, 2012
    cmason wrote: »
    Been so long since I turned on the beta that I completely forgot about it, and racked my brain going thru CSS trying to figure out why my website looked so good in one browser and not the other. Was preparing to send a note to SmugHeros, then remembered this.

When you have been in beta so long that your customer's forget about it, something is not being managed well. I am a software product manager, I should know. Thanks for listening to my gripe.

We're working on it furiously - promise deal.gif

Wasn't Gmail in beta for like 5 years? Not comparing, and we love the feedback we're hearing. This will come to fruition and you and all are going to be amazed at what we have in store!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Never did hear any thoughts on the gallery descriptions not being full page width and the new print button taking up all the vertical right side space. Move it up to the .yui3-g div line. It is also blocked in width so there's plenty of right side room. The would give us the full page width for the description.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    We're working on it furiously - promise deal.gif

Wasn't Gmail in beta for like 5 years? Not comparing, and we love the feedback we're hearing. This will come to fruition and you and all are going to be amazed at what we have in store!

I hear you Andy, and I have frustrated customers too. Maybe give the ole Agile method a shot....roll it out in increments!
    edited April 25, 2012
    cmason wrote: »
    I hear you Andy, and I have frustrated customers too. Maybe give the ole Agile method a shot....roll it out in increments!

While I know where you are coming from, certain releases simply don't work well incrementally. This is a major architectural change with many dependancies vs. simply a face lift or a handful of new features which SM has released in the past. For example look at these new cool things you can do or try out our new stretchy themes. Of course this is based on the assumption of a larger infrastructure change which I think this is.

One cool new technology I see SM using which I also recommended is removing pagination. They have recently added this tech to their search feature. Check it our from their main page - similar to what Flickriver offers. This tech could also be extended to SM galleries where there would no longer be a need for 1 thru 12 pages for example. Rather it could scroll dynamically like this gallery: http://prints.artwolfe.com/#s=4&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&p=6&a=1&at=0
    edited April 26, 2012
    Thanks for your support, Derek!

By the way a no pagination option is already available in our current Thumbnails style if you check the "Show thumbnails in a single page" checkbox.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited April 27, 2012

By the way a no pagination option is already available in our current Thumbnails style if you check the "Show thumbnails in a single page" checkbox.

Eh, sort of. While it does take away the pages, it doesn't give you the full image on the right side. Only a page full of thumbnails.

I too would like to see that idea combined and have a single scrolling "page" on the left and a full screen image on the right.
    edited April 27, 2012
    Eh, sort of. While it does take away the pages, it doesn't give you the full image on the right side. Only a page full of thumbnails.

I too would like to see that idea combined and have a single scrolling "page" on the left and a full screen image on the right.

Yes, a scrolling single (film) strip on the left or right would be ideal with the main image taking center. With widescreen formats dominating the market having the filmstrip on the side seems like a better use of real estate. I really like the option of showing/hiding the thumbs on mouseover so that it is less intrusive in a semi-transparent overlay. Or a clickable show thumbnail option like Ben Hattenbach's site here: http://www.benhattenbach.com/

** Edit: I did try the filmstrip option which is currently available. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to scale/stretch to the screen. Everything is crunched together toward the middle including a smaller main image. It also appears on the top in the least appealing place for me. I would much prefer it on the sides or bottom which keeps the primary image more in focus and make the thumbs less instrusive/more subtle. See examples above from Ben and Art's websites. I also notice the image info isn't available in this mode via mouseover. And the big white arrows aren't vertically centered properly. Lastly it seems to continuously scroll too quickly which can be a bit annoying when trying to simply look at the thumbs already showing. Hopefully we can get an updated version which stretches in this next release.

Here is what mine looks like:

DereksSMFilmstrip-X2.jpg

Ben's layout:

BensFilmstrip-X2.jpg
    edited April 27, 2012

Sebastian, thanks for showing me this feature. I didn't know it was available. Now if we could combine this scrolling page with larger thumbs and possbily mouseover enlargements (like Smugmug's new search feature) it would be a very cool option. If I had the choice between the two I would pick the filmstrip style in a more refined fashion as described and demonstrated above. But its always nice to have a few good options.

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work. thumb.gif
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    onethumb wrote: »
    - PhotoRank. Our PhotoRank algorithm has continued to evolve over time, and this is yet another one of those evolutions. The thumbs up / thumbs down metaphor is gone, and we instead rely on other signals (many of which we've always used already, some of which are new) to determine how popular a photo is. As usual, we won't disclose specifics and it's always a moving target, but this is a big change.
    Duh, we need this, just remove the thumbs down and leave the thumbs up or replace both with a
    "like" button. My visitors will have to go thru all kinds of gyrations to just like a photo. This is basically
    how my popular gallery is populated plus photo comments.

And it's a bad idea to require a log in to leave a comment. Those that don't want it that let them opt-out.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gif
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    I've been following this for a while, and have it turned on on my site on one of my computers. I followed a link through to another site today, and it is showing up in the new style as well. I remember reading about that before, but I thought that behavior had been changed? It doesn't bother me, but the (Pro) site owner might not like that any customization is not coming through.
    edited May 4, 2012
    jziegler wrote: »
    I've been following this for a while, and have it turned on on my site on one of my computers. I followed a link through to another site today, and it is showing up in the new style as well. I remember reading about that before, but I thought that behavior had been changed? It doesn't bother me, but the (Pro) site owner might not like that any customization is not coming through.
    Thanks for point that out, James. I reported it to our QA team.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • photolordphotolord Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    No log in for comments
    Allen wrote: »
    Duh, we need this, just remove the thumbs down and leave the thumbs up or replace both with a
    "like" button. My visitors will have to go thru all kinds of gyrations to just like a photo. This is basically
    how my popular gallery is populated plus photo comments.

And it's a bad idea to require a log in to leave a comment. Those that don't want it that let them opt-out.

I totally, agree. It should be dead simple for anyone wanting to comment or like a photo. If there's a problem with abuse, then leave that to the site owner to tighten up the reigns. One aspect that will encourage people to interact more on my SM website, will be easy interaction.
    Best regards,

Matt George
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    To be more specific. An example would be to move images to another gallery. The list of the galleries is presented in order by date created the way I see it. It would be helpful to have it alphabetical or some other way to find a specific gallery in the list. Am I missing something?

Phil
    Ahhh, Phil-- so sorry I missed this & didn't reply earlier. I see what you're asking now. Yes, you are perfectly correct that the problem of the gallery listings is huge. Many of us have been complaining about this for years. SmugMug is quite aware, and supposedly a fix will come someday, but I AM beginning to feel it's to the point of being ridiculous that this huge pain for everyone isn't yet fixed. It wouldn't even mean re-inventing the wheel, as useful "picking-tools" are already available for so many other tasks on the site. It just needs to happen. HOwever, this isn't really the thread for it, as I don't know that it has anything to do with the new design. What's more, it should be fixed long before new designs roll out. Fixing things that don't "need" fixing before fixing things that really are broken just makes people frustrated. P.S. Another Smugger gave me a great tip that helps quell frustration in the meantime, but unfortunately few people know about it: Often, if you start typing in the gallery name that you want to move photos to, it'll fill in for you in the selection box (yes, even though it does not appear to be a box you can type into). It's a bit glitchy, but many times it does help. The problem comes when you have hundreds of galleries & you can't recall what name you gave the gallery.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com