the dgrin suggestion box

Comments

• StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    We do consider each request and regarding this type of request, no. We won't create forums for specific processing techniques. Doing so would create needless clutter and really isn't practical given the huge variety of different techniques.

Makes sense. I wasn't thinking of a forum for each and every type. Just one general forum for all non-traditional styles. Individual threads could handle the various styles as posters saw fit.

But even that may be too much. Thanks for considering it anyway!

Edited to add: I should say that I've been spending much more time in "Other Cool Shots" these last few days and have noticed that in that thread posters and responders are quite amenable to people experimenting with different processing styles. So my concern that there wasn't a spot for this may be unfounded!
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    ^^
    its easy to create a thread yourself in other cool shots , like ;post all your Orton effects, in here [ for example ]

if it is used enough , they might even make it a sticky
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Not sure if it is being planned any, but I suggest that the forum be upgraded to vBulletin v4. I understand that it is a major upgrade, but I think the added features are definantly worth it!
    Todd - My Photos
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 24, 2010
    racer wrote: »
    Not sure if it is being planned any, but I suggest that the forum be upgraded to vBulletin v4. I understand that it is a major upgrade, but I think the added features are definantly worth it!

Thanks for the suggestion. We're excited about the new features as well but until 4 stabilizes, we're going to stick with the current version.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion. We're excited about the new features as well but until 4 stabilizes, we're going to stick with the current version.

makes sense
    Todd - My Photos
  • 57guy57guy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2010
    I disagree with you on HDR. A lot of Photographers are getting into it and its a process of its own. In the future, I will only visits sites that have an HDR section. I can see where you would not have a section on "Night Shots" "landscape" "City Walks", etc. But they do not have dedicated software for those types of Photography.
    Glenn
    edited August 30, 2010
    57guy wrote: »
    I disagree with you on HDR. A lot of Photographers are getting into it and its a process of its own. In the future, I will only visits sites that have an HDR section. I can see where you would not have a section on "Night Shots" "landscape" "City Walks", etc. But they do not have dedicated software for those types of Photography.
    Glenn

Following this, you'd post shots with HDR in the HDR section--what if it's a sports shot? Would you cross post? What about a PJ shot, would that go in PJ or HDR?

Shots should be posted, regardless of their processing technique, in their respective forums.

IF you want to discuss the software for HDR, you can do that in the Finishing School forum. Plenty of folks to help with the wide variety of software available to us.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Lens sample photo archive - second post
    I reposted this due to no response the first posting:

Would it be useful here on dgrin, as on other sites, to have a "Lens Sample Photo Archive"?

I personally find them very useful when I'm considering purchase of a new lens. I also like that you can usually tell what body the lens is mounted to. I like to be able to "see" what a lens/body combination produces over a wide swath of photographers.

In the past, I've considered a certain lens/focal length, only to peruse that particular lens photo archive. It became obvious if that lens would be a good tool for a particular need.

Here is a lens sample photo archive from another site for reference.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Randy
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    I reposted this due to no response the first posting:

Would it be useful here on dgrin, as on other sites, to have a "Lens Sample Photo Archive"?

I personally find them very useful when I'm considering purchase of a new lens. I also like that you can usually tell what body the lens is mounted to. I like to be able to "see" what a lens/body combination produces over a wide swath of photographers.

In the past, I've considered a certain lens/focal length, only to peruse that particular lens photo archive. It became obvious if that lens would be a good tool for a particular need.

Here is a lens sample photo archive from another site for reference.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Thanks!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    There was a great quote by Erik several pages back about not over moderating the B/S forum. With that in mind I'd like to suggest finally allowing members to mark their own threads *sold* or be allowed to close them. Doc could still zap ones there forever or close them for people who don't know how. Having old threads around and sold items appear active takes a bit of the glow off an otherwise awesome board.
    edited September 4, 2010
    There was a great quote by Erik several pages back about not over moderating the B/S forum. With that in mind I'd like to suggest finally allowing members to mark their own threads *sold* or be allowed to close them. Doc could still zap ones there forever or close them for people who don't know how. Having old threads around and sold items appear active takes a bit of the glow off an otherwise awesome board.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll take this up amongst ourselves and let you know.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 12, 2010
    Thanks Jeff - it's always been a software issue. But we'll look into it now with the upgrade. Thanks thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited September 13, 2010
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    Thanks Jeff - it's always been a software issue. But we'll look into it now with the upgrade. Thanks thumb.gif

Thanks Erik!
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    "HDR and Beyond"
    I noticed Flickr had one..

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/pool/

I think an "HDR & Beyond" will spur some creativity here.

One can only imagine the submissions for contests and exercises!

iloveyou.gifclap.giflust
    misterb wrote: »
    I noticed Flickr had one..

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/pool/

I think an "HDR & Beyond" will spur some creativity here.

One can only imagine the submissions for contests and exercises!

iloveyou.gifclap.giflust
    We've been getting this request a lot lately. Let me explain a bit about how we see it.

Similar to Flickr, SmugMug offers an HDR community which you could join. Neither of those are a forum, though, and here on Dgrin we have different concerns about managing our forums. We strive to provide a balance between useable detail and easy simplicity.

So far we haven't seen a reason to make a special forum for HDR. It's one of many tools in your kit. We may as well dedicate a forum to shallow depth of field, or using flashlights to light night scenes. We don't need to clutter up Dgrin with a forum for each of these, and we need to draw a line somewhere. We're happy with the lines we've drawn so far. HDR can go in Landscapes, Other Cool Shots, or really any of the other shots forums, since you can use it in a wide variety of settings.

I hope this helps.
    Moderator Emeritus
    DavidTO wrote: »
    We've been getting this request a lot lately. Let me explain a bit about how we see it.

Similar to Flickr, SmugMug offers an HDR community which you could join. Neither of those are a forum, though, and here on Dgrin we have different concerns about managing our forums. We strive to provide a balance between useable detail and easy simplicity.

So far we haven't seen a reason to make a special forum for HDR. It's one of many tools in your kit. We may as well dedicate a forum to shallow depth of field, or using flashlights to light night scenes. We don't need to clutter up Dgrin with a forum for each of these, and we need to draw a line somewhere. We're happy with the lines we've drawn so far. HDR can go in Landscapes, Other Cool Shots, or really any of the other shots forums, since you can use it in a wide variety of settings.

I hope this helps.

Personally- I don't like skipping from website to website.. I like the fact that dgrin "has it all" under one roof- so to speak.

I don't see HDR as a tool- but rather more of a genre.. like macro, street, and weddings. They *all* use various tools to get to where they want to be.

I will check out the SmugMug HDR community, but feel that a forum here would be beneficial- strictly from the artistic viewpoint.

BTW- you said "We've been getting this request a lot.." and I'm not sure who "we" actually are? Your post count says you must be in or around the "inner sanctum" but I'm not sure.

:D
    BTW- you said "We've been getting this request a lot.." and I'm not sure who "we" actually are? Your post count says you must be in or around the "inner sanctum" but I'm not sure.

:D

"we" refers to the moderators and admins of the site. If you look at a username, the "bold" names are moderators and the "bold" and "italic" names are admins.

HDR is a tool used to to process an image. Any good image processor uses a variety of tools as required. If it was a genre, what do you do when an image is both sports and HDR? Or if it's a landscape and HDR? What if you used Tilt/Shift techniques, HDR and your shot was a bird in flight? Where would you post it?

A genre is more like Landscape or a Wildlife shot.
    "we" refers to the moderators and admins of the site. If you look at a username, the "bold" names are moderators and the "bold" and "italic" names are admins.

Ian nailed it. I've also got my "creds" listed in my signature. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 28, 2010
    Ten in-camera Art Filters including new Dramatic Tone round out this DSLR’s impressiv

HDR is a tool used to to process an image. Any good image processor uses a variety of tools as required. If it was a genre, what do you do when an image is both sports and HDR? Or if it's a landscape and HDR? What if you used Tilt/Shift techniques, HDR and your shot was a bird in flight? Where would you post it?

A genre is more like Landscape or a Wildlife shot.

I didn't know that about the usernames- thank for explaining.

The new Olympus E-5 has a new art filter, here's the company description:

Ten in-camera Art Filters including new Dramatic Tone round out this DSLR’s impressive feature set. For the first time, photographers can use Art Filters in all shooting modes, program auto, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes and movies with expanded control. Both still and movie capable, the E-5 camera offers HD video in an E-System DSLR for the first time.

The "Dramatic Tone" (HDR) art filter will only need *one frame* so birds in flight and sports are very much fair game.

Even without this, NIK Software's new offering (HDR EFEX PRO) will be out very soon (saw it demo'ed by NIK employee) and it will *also* allow one frame HDR.

If the "HDR" moniker is giving you heartburn, then the title can be "Dramatic, Creative, and Abstracts" or whatever you italic and bold guys want. Maybe NIK or Photomatix would sponsor it.. just a thought.

BTW- Andys Random Quote Generator said: “ let's get creative! ”
    The new Olympus E-5 has a new art filter, here's the company description:

Ten in-camera Art Filters including new Dramatic Tone round out this DSLR’s impressive feature set. For the first time, photographers can use Art Filters in all shooting modes, program auto, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes and movies with expanded control. Both still and movie capable, the E-5 camera offers HD video in an E-System DSLR for the first time.

The "Dramatic Tone" (HDR) art filter will only need *one frame* so birds in flight and sports are very much fair game.

Even without this, NIK Software's new offering (HDR EFEX PRO) will be out very soon (saw it demo'ed by NIK employee) and it will *also* allow one frame HDR.

This belongs in Cameras.
    If the "HDR" moniker is giving you heartburn, then the title can be "Dramatic, Creative, and Abstracts" or whatever you italic and bold guys want. Maybe NIK or Photomatix would sponsor it.. just a thought.

BTW- Andys Random Quote Generator said: “ let's get creative! ”

I think our position has been very clear. We are against forum clutter and no matter how you want to spin it, we are not going to create forums when it results in additional clutter. The effects Photomatix, Nik, Adobe and others are tools not genres and not going to get separate forums.
    misterb wrote:

If the "HDR" moniker is giving you heartburn, then the title can be "Dramatic, Creative, and Abstracts" or whatever you italic and bold guys want.

We did. It's called Other Cool Shots. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Ok- nuff said.
  • TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Items SOLD; thread delete.
    not everyone edits their title, unless you're browsing to preview the thread content you get the pleasure of clicking on all the sold items to find out if they are available. (I'm currently looking for two lenses and get more "sold" items than "available" items)

why not request thread delete when "sold"...

$.02

Cheers.
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
    edited October 7, 2010
    TJDIV wrote: »
    not everyone edits their title, unless you're browsing to preview the thread content you get the pleasure of clicking on all the sold items to find out if they are available. (I'm currently looking for two lenses and get more "sold" items than "available" items)

why not request thread delete when "sold"...

$.02

Cheers.

You've noticed one of the failings of vBulletin's search capabilities.

One of the reasons we leave threads by marking them as "SOLD" is so that you might have some price history either because you're selling or as a buyer.

You could add "FS" to your search terms and use Google instead of the dgrin search tool. Let's say you were looking for a 1DS, "site:www.dgrin.com fs 1ds" as your search terms will find a number of them. Of course, you can also use Google to limit the time frame too--help is available for Google's advanced search features.

Hope that helps and thank you for your suggestion.
    edited October 7, 2010
    You could add "FS" to your search terms and use Google instead of the dgrin search tool. Let's say you were looking for a 1DS, "site:www.dgrin.com fs 1ds" as your search terms will find a number of them. Of course, you can also use Google to limit the time frame too--help is available for Google's advanced search features.
    Good advice. This can also be done via the custom search (which is google, too), without the need to include site:www.dgrin.com, since the custom search already limits to our forum.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited October 24, 2010
    You've noticed one of the failings of vBulletin's search capabilities.

One of the reasons we leave threads by marking them as "SOLD" is so that you might have some price history either because you're selling or as a buyer.

Hope that helps and thank you for your suggestion.

How about a tab that let's the OP mark the item as sold or bought and locks the thread but shows the price info to be left for all to see. headscratch.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    How about a tab that let's the OP mark the item as sold or bought and locks the thread but shows the price info to be left for all to see. headscratch.gif

You still will have people that as soon as they sell an item they will edit the thread.....by marking the item sold and removing the price.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 24, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    You still will have people that as soon as they sell an item they will edit the thread.....by marking the item sold and removing the price.........

I'm not so sure about that. It is two steps rather than one. Sell your item then click a tab ( and then edit and erase??). Probably not. It might take a while for people to catch on but it is better than the current situation.... And at least you would know it's sold without opening the thread.ne_nau.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    I don't think that is possible with (our version of) VB (the forum software).
    edited October 25, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    I don't think that is possible with (our version of) VB (the forum software).

Fair enough. So what is possible? Letting the OP edit the title is a less elegant solution but a solution all the same, no?