A good "week" at the beach.....

FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited April 19, 2012 in Wildlife
As work is starting to interfere with fishing and photography (I'm in the tourist industry) I thought I would share last weeks Eagles. The light was harsh several days and most of the week saw 20mph winds so maybe not up to the quality of my last post, and as Murphy's law would have it, my favorite photo (the upside down bird) is the only one where there was enough camera shake to make it unprintable. Still i think they are all pretty nice and I hope you enjoy them. Haven't been down to the beach for about a week now, missing my feathered friends a lot.

OOO5226cropdg-X2.jpg

OOO4670cropdg-X2.jpg

OOO4590cropdg-X2.jpg

[IMG]http://www.assateaguephotos.com/Other/Digital-Grin/i-mDWBxnd/0/X2/OOO4871cropdg- X2.jpg[/IMg]

OOO4265cropdg-X2.jpg

OOO5128cropdg-X2.jpg

OOO4334cropdg-X2.jpg

OOO4513cropdg-X2.jpg

OOO4235cropdg-X2.jpg

OOO4650cropdg-X2.jpg

i-mDWBxnd-X2.jpg

Comments

• Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Fantastic series, well done Allen!

Although there's actually not much too see in the 2nd pic, it's somehow my favorite.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Dick I agree there is something very appealing with all the feather textures and layers....the missing parts almost seem irrelevant. Thank you very much for the compliment.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 11, 2012
    Wow. These are all very nice. Especially #4 which shows the eagle in what seems like an unusual pose.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Fantastic
    Impressive the sharpness and detail on your pictures, I noticed you are shooting with a D300 and a 200mm lens (maybe the 70-200mm??).

I am looking for a D7000 or a D300 for my Nikon 300mm f4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 but looking at your pictures I think I will go for the D300.

Beautiful pictures and thank you for sharing with us.

Regards.

Marcelo
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Excellent set of captures. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Epic set!!
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Absolutely fabulous! Best, Pam
  • fotoforayfotoforay Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2012
    those are amazing pics. Which beach?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Wow. Nice set. I'm with you. I really like the upside down one. I was equally wowed by the fact that these were all done under 200mm (okay so on a D300 that's 350mm). How close are you and/or how much cropping going on here. I'm not a birder but aren't 500mm lenses the in thing for this?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Photoforay.....the beach is Assateague Island National Sea Shore.
    Mike J...........Assateague Eagles generally fish the surf line which is where I spend a huge amount of time trying to catch drum and rockfish. Most images are about 50 percent crops. The birds are used to people as this a National Seashore so I am sometimes very close to them, especially if they are fishing in front of me. I would love to have a 300mm lens so I wouldn't have to crop so much, but five grand is beyond my reach at the moment. I also wonder if I could hand hold it as well as I can my 23 year old 80-200.......

Thanks to everyone for looking and especially for the compliments, I savor each and every one of them! allen
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Fishead wrote: »
    Photoforay.....the beach is Assateague Island National Sea Shore.
    Mike J...........Assateague Eagles generally fish the surf line which is where I spend a huge amount of time trying to catch drum and rockfish. Most images are about 50 percent crops. The birds are used to people as this a National Seashore so I am sometimes very close to them, especially if they are fishing in front of me. I would love to have a 300mm lens so I wouldn't have to crop so much, but five grand is beyond my reach at the moment. I also wonder if I could hand hold it as well as I can my 23 year old 80-200.......

Thanks to everyone for looking and especially for the compliments, I savor each and every one of them! allen
    Allen - have you looked at the 300 f/4? Great lens. Love mine. No problem hand-holding the 300 f/4. It's about the size of a 70-200 or 80-200.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • WossaWossa Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Wow, stunning images, I keep coming back to look at these each time I log on......wonderful photography, congrats.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Amazing work! If i was to drool anymore over these pics i'd short out my keyboard!
    Thanx for sharing your work....

Windoze
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Stunning images of the Eagle, all of them are great...Good Shooting.
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Makes me want to take the trip wet a line and capture a few images. Very inspiring work, Allan!
  • YoungNomadYoungNomad Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    WOW! Remind me never to mess with an Eagle :/
  • rojam1000rojam1000 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    marvellous series clear great colour
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Beautiful, and well shot imaes. Thanks for sharing them. :)
  • csmallaricsmallari Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Amazing set !!!! Must have been such a rush to take photos like these. Bravo clap.gif