*Finding* a D800

chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited May 25, 2012 in Cameras
...well, any ideas on acquiring the D800, other than spending 20% over list? IS there a back door for the average citizen?

cg
Charlie Groh
(tin can tied to the bumper)

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Have you tried Best Buy? Someone at SM just got one at Best Buy.
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    I was able to get one at my local camera shop, it should be here soon
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Have you tried Best Buy? Someone at SM just got one at Best Buy.

Thanks, Andy...worth a shot! Wouldn't hurt to get the order on the books, shoulda done that months ago...sigh...
    Charlie Groh
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Heck, I pre-ordered the D4 before the D800 was even announced (I think), and you D800 guys are getting impatient? I'm still waiting!

I just kid though, I hope you can track one down! It looks amazing!
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I just checked Best Buy...no D800's in stock...not available. Just FYI
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Patience is the order of the day. I ordered an 800E from my local camera store. There's only myself and another dude who put in orders so I'm #1 on a two person waiting list. I would check out the smaller stores, the big ones have long waiitng lists.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    PM me if you are seriously interested.
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Got mine in a week. From local small camera shop.
    edited May 11, 2012
    I was able to get one at my local camera shop, it should be here soon

...I checked at my local shop and got some positive vibes (better than being number 1865 on Adorama's list!) but another problem surfaced: accessories. Battery packs and extra batteries are hard to come by apparently. I guess it's a hunting thing for now...hard to get up and running!
    Charlie Groh
  • JRSEEJRSEE Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    D800
    Ordered mine from B and H on the 6th of Feb. Has anyone gotten a camera fm B and H. They won't tell me a thing ..........

Jay
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    chasgroh2 wrote: »
    ...I checked at my local shop and got some positive vibes (better than being number 1865 on Adorama's list!) but another problem surfaced: accessories. Battery packs and extra batteries are hard to come by apparently. I guess it's a hunting thing for now...hard to get up and running!

The thing with the batteries, is Nikon has to recall certain ones due to a overheating issue. All the D800 orders were getting the new batteries
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Just like when the D7000 came out no batteries no update on CaptureNX2 to process RAW files. They will catch up
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited May 12, 2012
    The thing with the batteries, is Nikon has to recall certain ones due to a overheating issue. All the D800 orders were getting the new batteries

...I'm happier now, after cancelling my Adorama order and going with my local shop, Samy's Camera in SoCal...they were quite sure I'd get the thing soon, if not promptly. I'll search-out all my extra stuff whilst awaiting the good news of delivery, good and available batteries notwithstanding!
    Charlie Groh
  • JRSEEJRSEE Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    ...well, any ideas on acquiring the D800, other than spending 20% over list? IS there a back door for the average citizen?

cg

On a suggestion from a friend, I went down to my local Ritz camera store on the 9th of May and ordered a D800.. I will pick up my camera on Friday the 18th. B&H still is stalling so I canceled my order. If you have a local camera store like Ritz I suggest you go there and talk to them. It took 9 days to get my camera.....

WHOOO HOOOO rolleyes1.gif

Jay
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    I've had a birdie whisper to me that mine will be in in less than two weeks. I'm sorta all squidgy about it.
  • MusetekMusetek Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    Another idea is to check Craigslist - I was just looking in my local listings and there were at least 3 "brand new still in box" D800 listings from people who said they'd pre-ordered more than one in hopes of getting it sooner, now they're selling the extra.

Of course you need to be wary, as always, but perhaps worth checking out. You can always walk away if it feels hinky.
    http://pomeroy-photography.com

http://pomeroyphotography.smugmug.com

Universe halted: reality.sys not found (that's old school!)
    edited May 24, 2012
    ...just to follow up; got the call, my new D800 is ready for pickup at Samy's...just over 2 weeks from original post. No telling where I'd be if I had languished in Adorama's line...somewhere in the 1700's?!
    I love this forum!
    Charlie Groh
    edited May 24, 2012
    edited May 25, 2012
    troopers wrote: »
    Nice...you'll love it.

...oh, this thing is SO cool! Wow, D800 as a primary and D700 as a second...not many worlds better than that! Just justified the cost with all my DX lenses coming back online...wings.gif
    Charlie Groh
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited May 25, 2012
    ...oh, this thing is SO cool! Wow, D800 as a primary and D700 as a second...not many worlds better than that! Just justified the cost with all my DX lenses coming back online...wings.gif

Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 25, 2012
    ...oh, this thing is SO cool! Wow, D800 as a primary and D700 as a second...not many worlds better than that!

Follow my lead and get another D800 (or E) as a second.