Rolex 3 Day

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited May 2, 2012 in Sports
Anybody going? I'm headed down for just the XC on Saturday. No credentials. Just want to get some shots for my portfolio and could use some intel.

Comments

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    I stopped going after 2003, I think, and won't be there this year. (Volunteered to help someone put a fence up and help fight carpenter bees..) If you see our very own Phyxius, say hi, or for that matter, Joan Davis of Flatlandsphoto, or Amy Dragoo, say hi, though I think they will be all covered up in yellow.. (Oops, looks like it's blue this year..)

Also be on the look out for my local favorite, Beth Perkins on Sal Dali, who has been doing this forever and has finally qualified to go to this year! And if you get close enough to Boyd Martin or Michael Pollard, tell them that Mark of HoofClix says hello.. Those two guys are the most approachable on the planet and will certainly have a true smile for you..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited April 26, 2012
    And of course, PICS when you are done please!!!
    Mark
    edited April 26, 2012
    Mark
  • JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Hey Mark, Do you think I should haul the 100-400 and mono? I would rather have gatorade and food in that spot in my bag. Just carry the 70-200 and 18 -55. My plan is to stay away from the lake. I think there is a through the bush jump with a big drop off on the back side that says Rolex, but I did not see it on the course map this morning. Maybe it is by the sunken road? My goal is just some portfolio shots that are immeadiatly recognizable as Rolex.
    edited April 26, 2012
    If you have a crop frame camera (D300s?) or Canon 7D, I don't see the need to bring 400mm along. I use a Sigma 120-300, but really, most of what you want to shoot, you can get nicely with that 70-200. I hear there will be rain, but I haven't checked.. If you go near the "Head of the Lake," there is to the side usually a really nice Trakener (big log with a ditch underneath) that you can still get pretty close to, and there are nice shots with horses way up and crowd below.. that 18-55 will be also nice for some good stuff.

Those keyhole jumps (through the bush) are a challenge to shoot, so get ahead of them, not to the side.

As per what I remember, you can get fairly close to the sunken road. angle so you can get all four elements of it..
    Mark
    edited May 1, 2012
    Top 3
    #1 William Fox-Pitt on Parklane Hawk
    i-NgwB4QD-L.jpg

#2 Allison Springer on Arthur
    i-qTgZ8kF-L.jpg

#3 Boyd Martin on Otis Barbotiere
    i-Dk9PSVK-L.jpg
    edited May 2, 2012
    Nice shots! Told you that you could get close.. Really like the one of Allison Springer..
    Mark
    edited May 2, 2012
    Thanks. I did end up using the 120-400, the reach was just a little long for the 70 - 200 for the log coming into the water. This was the first water series 5a/b, c, and d. The log coming down the bank into the water, the brush in the middle, up the bank and over the goose.