Monopod advice and ball head

CFPhotographyCFPhotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited January 19, 2011 in Accessories
I am looking to purchase a monopod for my canon 7D. Also looking to find a ball head that I can use that will allow me to go from portrait to landscpe pretty quickly. I am shooting sports so want to be able to switch on the fly. Would love to have something lightweight!

Any advice on which monopod and ball head or bracket I should get? I dont want to have to mortgage my house to buy it, but I also want something that is good and will last a while, lol.... :-)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    I have been very happy with the Manfrotto 680B. It is weapons grade build (like a tank). I use the extremely affordable Manfrotto 3229 (now called the 234RC). No its not a ball head, but it is perfect for the monopod.
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    I have been very happy with the Manfrotto 680B. It is weapons grade build (like a tank). I use the extremely affordable Manfrotto 3229 (now called the 234RC). No its not a ball head, but it is perfect for the monopod.

Hope nobody minds me piggy backing on this - I'm looking to buy the 234RC for my monopod but am not sure exactly what it does! I get that it will swap between landscape and portrait but...will it allow me to tilt and pan or do I need to look for a ball head for this? It's the tilting I'm particularly interested in as I'm happy to just rotate the monopod instead of panning! I'm sure this is a rookie question but I really have no idea! :D
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    topcat374 wrote: »
    Hope nobody minds me piggy backing on this - I'm looking to buy the 234RC for my monopod but am not sure exactly what it does! I get that it will swap between landscape and portrait but...will it allow me to tilt and pan or do I need to look for a ball head for this? It's the tilting I'm particularly interested in as I'm happy to just rotate the monopod instead of panning! I'm sure this is a rookie question but I really have no idea! :D

You're exactly right. It lets you tilt and secure the camera at angles rather than being flush mounted to the monopod. On a monopod you rotate rather than panning the head, since the leg isn't stationary as it is on a tripod.

IMO ball heads aren't really appropriate on a monopod.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    You put your camera on the head, and you can tilt it left or right from landscape (level on monopod) to portrait (left or right). Thats it.
  • HawkinsHawkins Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    I am looking to purchase a monopod for my canon 7D. Also looking to find a ball head that I can use that will allow me to go from portrait to landscpe pretty quickly. I am shooting sports so want to be able to switch on the fly. Would love to have something lightweight!

Any advice on which monopod and ball head or bracket I should get? I dont want to have to mortgage my house to buy it, but I also want something that is good and will last a while, lol.... :-)

Thanks in advance!

Gitzo series 2 monopod
    http://www.gitzo.com/product/72038.71891.82462.0.0/GM2541/_/Series_2_6X_Four-Section_Carbon_Fibre_Monopod

Really Right Stuff monopod heads
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=MH01&key=cat

:DMorgage maybe required:D
    Nikon D3s, N14-24, N24-70, N70-200 VR II
    PC-E 24, SB-700, SB-600, Sony A55, TC-20E III
    Sigma 500mm f4.5, Gitzo GT3530LS+GH2780QR
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Thanks for the info - much appreciated :-)
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Just before Christmas I bought myself a Benro MC-98M8 Monopod new on Amazon for just under $100 delivered. I am 6'3" and it was the least expensive carbon fiber monopod with twist-locks I could find that extended to a useable height (for me). It's a little large (fat) and perhaps a little heavy (for a carbon monopod) but in my case the specs and price were perfect. It looks like it's been disontinued, but it can still be found.

BTW, the pics on Amazon aren't exactly correct, but the pics on B&H are good.

I can't tell you how long it will last, but it seems very well built.
  • CFPhotographyCFPhotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    WOW! Thanks guys, this is awesome information! I am looking into buying the Manfrotto 680B.

Yeah, I wasnt sure on ball head or bracket, I heard some bad and good things about the ball head on a monopod, but after reading the answers here and a few others, it seems that this is not the way to go, so I will look into the bracket as well. But, I will also be using longer lenses with the tripod ring, so that should work for my longer lenses.

You guys are awesome! clap.gif
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    You know, I bought my monopod setup in early 2008 and it's just as good now as it was then. And it cost me a grand total of $55. Yep, I call it a $55 stick. It's a Velbon UP-4000 monopod. I got it from Adorama for 20 bucks. Free shipping. Couldn't be happier with it. It's tuff, sturdy, and stable. The bottom section is pretty thin, but it stands up well at full length. Most of the time I'm kneeling with it anyway. It works great.

My head is a Manfrotto 3229. It's called the 234RC now? ok. Great. Guess what, it works. It allows me to easily switch between portrait and landscape. It's made of solid metal, plus it has an easy and SOLID quick release. The plate is metal and it has a really great tightening mechanism: you can apply a lot of force pretty easily. It locks nicely into place and can even double-lock so you don't accidentally pull the lever. For $35, it's a GREAT deal.

Looks like Adorama now is selling the Velbon UP-400 (note that it's different: 400 instead of my 4000). That is so wierd, not even fleabay has my model. The one at Adorama looks identical to the one I have except the paint looks a little darker. And it says 400 instead of 4000:D BTW, I got the head at my local camera store.

OK, I really love my monopod setup, can you tell?rolleyes1.gif
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    You know, I bought my monopod setup in early 2008 and it's just as good now as it was then. And it cost me a grand total of $55. Yep, I call it a $55 stick. It's a Velbon UP-4000 monopod. I got it from Adorama for 20 bucks. Free shipping. Couldn't be happier with it.......
    OK, I really love my monopod setup, can you tell?rolleyes1.gif

Delighted to hear it - thanks so much for the feedback wings.gif
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I also have the manfrotto and it is an excellent monopod I also prefer the the locking tabs over the twist locks they are just faster. Most of the lenses I use on it are lenses that already have a rotating collar and foot on them so switching from portrait to landscape is not a problem I just rotate the camera.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    a little heavy but...
    Giottos MH5580 P-Pod Monopod with Tilt Head (Quick Release) - Supports 33 lb (15 kg)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318592-REG/Giottos_MM5580_MH5580_P_Pod_Monopod_with.html
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com