Nikon 1 V1 - My first photos

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited November 6, 2011 in Cameras
As of right now, these are all photos from last Friday (when the camera arrived) up to yesterday. Mostly just quick snaps with not a ton of care taken, but nonetheless, pretty good stuff I think. I got the Nikon 1 V1 on Oct 21 with the 10-30mm lens (27-81 equivalent) and today my 10mm f/2.8 arrived, so I'll take some shots with that today. I'm now waiting on the SB-N5 flash.

Anyway, here's a gallery of the photos and a couple short videos in case anyone is interested in seeing more from this camera.

http://www.openbloom.com/GEAR-Etc-1/Nikon-1-V1/19648888_Nn5D4F

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited October 25, 2011
    Thanks so much for sharing the images. I am also interested in your personal impressions, both your immediate impressions and as you become familiar with the system.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    my goodness the iso shots look great at 6400. how is the AF responsiveness? slr like?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    How is the speed compared to a Dslr shot wise? Im curious as to what the lag time is.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Pretty impressive images. Useful ISO comparison. Thanks.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Very nice shots, quality looks very good. I had stopped by my local shop today and handled the J1 they had sold the last V1. Thanks for sharing . Hope to hear more as you progress
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I really love the V1. More so than I thought I would. I sold my GH2 and LX5 also. I was going to keep the LX5, but the V1 with the kit lens (10-30) is not a lot bigger than the LX5 (bigger, but not a huge amount bigger) and with the 10mm pancake, it fits in the same lowepro pouch I had for the LX5. :-)

Impressions so far are that it's fast!...I love the colors (looks similar to what I'm familiar with out of my D700)....It handles well overall. Shot to shot performance is very fast, like a SLR. You have to be careful not to fire off too many at once :-) Nikon wasn't joking about the speed. It has NO point and shoot slowness to it at all. This is one of the things I really like about it. The RAW files are only about 10MB on the computer. I bet they'll be even smaller once I can convert them to DNG after Adobe updates Lightroom. Also, so far using Capture NX2, I seem to have plenty of latitude when working with the raw files....bumping up the exposure, lifting shadows, etc. I love it.

What I think could be improved:
    - Next generation of the V1 should have more external controls, given the speed and capabilities of the camera. They can keep the J1 dumbed down to suit the point and shoot crowd, but it's a shame that this camera is so nice but you don't have the usual controls you'd expect to see on an enthusiast camera. At the very least, I think they should give a firmware update that lets you reassign the 'feature' button as a quick access button to a personal menu you create so you can get to things like exposure mode, focus area mode, etc. At the moment the feature button is not very useful. I'm not sure why they even put the feature button on there. Maybe they did intend to let us reassign that button but they wanted to get the camera out and work on the firmware update for it later, after the camera was released. Who knows.

- Price. I'd like to see it a 100 or so less, but for what it is, I was willing to pay the current asking price. I'd do it all over again if I had to. I don't regret buying it one bit!

The 10mm f/2.8 lens is very sharp. Once they give us some really nice fast lenses, I think the V1/J1 will be truly awesome. It great as it is though. I'm very happy with it.
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    These pictures were edited, correct?

Any SOOC pictures??
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
    edited October 27, 2011
    Yes edited. Not sure I have some SOOC at the moment. I know a lot of people like to see those to judge the quality before editing, but I looked at all the samples available from dpreview, imaging resource and other sites and my mind was made up. I rarely ever use photos straight out of the camera, so except for checking how good the ISO performance is, SOOC samples don't do me much good.
  • roarroar Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    Thanks for the great post...I've been wondering
    Thom

"There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept" - Ansel Adams (1902-1984)
    edited November 4, 2011
    I'm loving it more every day. I dare say, it's a fun camera to use.

20111101-DSC0482-XL.jpg

20111031-DSC1315-2-XL.jpg

20111029-DSC1016-2-XL.jpg

20111025-DSC0639-2-XL.jpg

He lost 2 teeth not long ago. :-)

20111029-DSC1108-2-XL.jpg

20111028-DSC0923-2-1024-XL.jpg

20111030-DSC1145-2-XL.jpg

20111103-DSC1627-2-2600-XL.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Photos are great. Congrats!
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited November 5, 2011
    Wonderful examples. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    I like the viewfinder
    I like the fact that this camera has an eye level viewfinder. I hate using the LCD. The price shocked me though!
    edited November 5, 2011
    Thanks everyone :-)

Yes, the price...I hope they bring it down a little. They'd sell like hotcakes. I believe the more word gets out about how good they really are, they'll sell ok, but some people just look at the price and walk away.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Great photos. I really like how you used that 10mm f/2.8!
    edited November 6, 2011
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11666-11988

Paragraphs 2 & 3 on the first page of his review of the Nikon 1 is a pretty big statement...and surely puts a big smile on Nikon's face. I myself have been nearly shocked by this little camera. It's exceeded my expectations.