Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

1202122232426»

Comments

• Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    Your right Walter, my father shot it with a 4x5 field camera 210mm lens and most likely Fuji Velvia film. As for what was going through his head hrm........... that has always been a mystery :)
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    Walter!!!
    Next you're going to tell me that was a curb I just hit!

thumb.gif
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 18, 2012
    Some of my thoughts regarding the new Cannon 5d M3 vs Nikon D800.

• jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Very cool video! Thanks!

However, I would be even more interested what you thought about the Nikon D3 vs a D4. ;)
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Unbiased opinions.......you gotta love 'em. rolleyes1.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited April 18, 2012
    jww wrote: »
    Very cool video! Thanks!

However, I would be even more interested what you thought about the Nikon D3 vs a D4. ;)

I did some comparisons months ago and came to the conclusion that the D4 was no better than my Canon 1ds M3. Regarding the D3s I believe that is the best sensor out! I used it in Africa in many diff situations and after processing many files for months I can say with great confidence "I love those files"
    This is why I was so interested in the D800. If Nikon could deliver something almost as clean at a higher resolution than 12mp, I wanted to see!
    My next test is tonight actually. The Nikon D3s against the D800 at 1600 ISO and beyond.
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    I did some comparisons months ago and came to the conclusion that the D4 was no better than my Canon 1ds M3. Regarding the D3s I believe that is the best sensor out! I used it in Africa in many diff situations and after processing many files for months I can say with great confidence "I love those files"
    This is why I was so interested in the D800. If Nikon could deliver something almost as clean at a higher resolution than 12mp, I wanted to see!
    My next test is tonight actually. The Nikon D3s against the D800 at 1600 ISO and beyond.

Ahh.. did not see that comparison, but appreciate your input. I know I love both of mine and haven't quite understood the need to spend money on upgrading to 2 D4's! :)

I will be interested to see your high ISO tests. Thanks so much!
    edited May 5, 2012
    jww wrote: »
    Ahh.. did not see that comparison, but appreciate your input. I know I love both of mine and haven't quite understood the need to spend money on upgrading to 2 D4's! :)

I will be interested to see your high ISO tests. Thanks so much!

Made a big mistake! When I read your comment regarding the D4 I was thinking "D3X" !
    Actually I have hopes the D4 and look forward to getting my hands on one and testing. I think the test will be against the Canon D1X.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. But, If I owned D3s I would not upgrade to the D4 unless I wanted to shoot video.
    edited May 5, 2012
    Just spent a week aboard the Northern Song with Hal Schmidt of Light Workshops. We discussed the Canon 5d M3 and I will post a vid sharing his thoughts soon. However, we also were discussing LR 4 and one VERY BIG sucky!

LR 4 has added a tone curve by default with no preview. The only way to preview this very hidden curve is to switch from 2012 process to 2010 and back!

Here is the low down:
    Go to Develop module > go to camera calibration > select the pulldown at the top called process and change from 2012 to 2010.
    Now you will notice a little square box at the bottom of the preview screen just below the image with an exclamation point in the middle. Click this and then click update.
    Now go to the Tone Curve and look at the curve that has been applied.
    Quite amazing hey!

The final move I suggest making is changing the curve from custom to linear.

Now you are back to the actual RAW file.

Cheers
    edited August 14, 2013
    It has been a while!

After sweating with anxiety following the SM change to their new format, I finally sat down for about 1/2 hour and created a new site. It really was easy, and I thank all the developers there for making is so :D

http://www.marcmuench.com