The Event Marketing Help Thread

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    xcitant wrote:
    Luvin this update! Smugmug Wizards keep up the great work! thumb.gif

Small niggle, the album titles get choped off. Any chance of extending it?
    I noticed that the event galleries are slightly different - each gallery is not contained in a minibox class as on the standard gallery pages...
    Could you please post an example screengrab, and also a link to where you see this?
  • NostalgicDadNostalgicDad Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Sorry but I've searched and don't see any discussion on this. Once someone has tagged images and they are in their favorites gallery, is it possible to set prices only for this gallery? I ask because I did go into "Set Prices" in the person's favorites gallery and it does show the adjusted price. However, when clicking on the buy photo button, it still shows as the cost from the original gallery where it was selected from.

My goal is to set special pricing for this person's favorites. How can I easily accomplish that?
  • xcitantxcitant Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Album Titles
    Andy wrote:
    Could you please post an example screengrab, and also a link to where you see this?

Full Album title in Sharegroup:
    http://www.p1cture.net/share/r0EUNkhwRmDfh

Chopped off Album title in events:
    http://www.p1cture.net/share/6t7Te0nCMwCKk
    edited March 18, 2010
    xcitant wrote:
    Full Album title in Sharegroup:
    http://www.p1cture.net/share/r0EUNkhwRmDfh

Chopped off Album title in events:
    http://www.p1cture.net/share/6t7Te0nCMwCKk
    You just need to change up your personal customizing:

/* ==================================================== */
    /* == FAQ #18, Line up boxes with titles underneath === */
    /* ============== Current as of 13 Feb 07 ============= */

the event box needs to be added to that code - please post in customizing forum so the helpers can help you :) Thanks!
  • xcitantxcitant Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    You just need to change up your personal customizing:

/* == FAQ #18, Line up boxes with titles underneath === */
    /* ============== Current as of 13 Feb 07 ============= */

the event box needs to be added to that code - please post in customizing forum so the helpers can help you :) Thanks!

Thanks, Andy! thumb.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Question. I shoot soccer games. The viewing audience for a given game or set of games consists of the players, the parents of the players and any friends or family members they share with. I'd love for all of my viewing audience to be able to each create their own favorites. Is there any way to do that?

Or do I have to separately add every participant that I want to allow to have favorites? So, if there were 20 players on the team, would I have to make 20 separate participants and send each one their own custom URL and their friends and family wouldn't be able to have their own favorites unless I manually made each of them a participant too?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited March 19, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    Question. I shoot soccer games. The viewing audience for a given game or set of games consists of the players, the parents of the players and any friends or family members they share with. I'd love for all of my viewing audience to be able to each create their own favorites. Is there any way to do that?

Or do I have to separately add every participant that I want to allow to have favorites? So, if there were 20 players on the team, would I have to make 20 separate participants and send each one their own custom URL and their friends and family wouldn't be able to have their own favorites unless I manually made each of them a participant too?
    Yes, the way it is designed, you send a notice via our system to each participant - and they get their own smart gallery for favorites thumb.gif
    edited March 19, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, the way it is designed, you send a notice via our system to each participant - and they get their own smart gallery for favorites thumb.gif
    I can see how that would work fine for some situations (weddings perhaps), but that won't work for me because it's just too much work to enable everyone individually and I don't even have all the individual email addresses as email goes to the team via a centrally managed blind mailing list. I hope it's on the improvement list to let anyone give their own email and create their own favorites list.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • CBFCBF Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2010
    Event date range and gallery arrange
    Two questions about the new events capability:

There are many types of events that span multiple days; however, it appears the date entry field when creating events only supports a single day. Is this correct?

As someone else asked previously in this thread - but I didn't see any reply - is it possible to rearrange the listing of galleries selected for an event? This is particularly important for the multi-day type of events noted above, when there could be dozens of galleries associated with the event.

Thanks// Chris
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Regular Gallery Favorites
    First of all great job on adding the new packages and event features!! clap.gif

As a sports photographer I to have the same predicament as jfriend. Is there possible addition to the favoraites feature that would just allow a customer to enter their email account upon entering my website and selecting their favorie photos connecting it to their email similar to Exposure Manager?
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    First of all great job on adding the new packages and event features!! clap.gif

As a sports photographer I to have the same predicament as jfriend. Is there possible addition to the favoraites feature that would just allow a customer to enter their email account upon entering my website and selecting their favorie photos connecting it to their email similar to Exposure Manager?

I can see how this would be a great asset but allowing anyone to create a favorites gallery in your account could really lead to some problems. Like getting 500 of them created for example!

The only way I could see this working is if they were able to request that a gallery be created and a confirmation message sent back to them once you approved. Otherwise it just gets out of control very easy.
    Cheers,
    Monte
    edited March 21, 2010
    Montec wrote:
    I can see how this would be a great asset but allowing anyone to create a favorites gallery in your account could really lead to some problems. Like getting 500 of them created for example!

The only way I could see this working is if they were able to request that a gallery be created and a confirmation message sent back to them once you approved. Otherwise it just gets out of control very easy.
    Why do I care how many people create their own favorites galleries? They are for their benefit, not mine.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 21, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    Why do I care how many people create their own favorites galleries? They are for their benefit, not mine.

Maybe I am not clear on this...(probably not)...but I thought that each favorite gallery that someone makes is displayed in your list of galleries.
    Cheers,
    Monte
    edited March 22, 2010
    Montec wrote:
    Maybe I am not clear on this...(probably not)...but I thought that each favorite gallery that someone makes is displayed in your list of galleries.
    This could be done in a scalable fashion or it could be done so that as the site owner you only see the ones you want to see. It is a solvable problem. My point was that my viewers can't use favorites because I don't know my viewer's email addresses which is a big bummer.

Meanwhile, it's my understanding that competitive sites like Zenfolio let any viewer create their own collection of their favorite photos which they can then share with the site owner or anyone else. That's what I'm interested in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 22, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    This could be done in a scalable fashion or it could be done so that as the site owner you only see the ones you want to see. It is a solvable problem. My point was that my viewers can't use favorites because I don't know my viewer's email addresses which is a big bummer.

Meanwhile, it's my understanding that competitive sites like Zenfolio let any viewer create their own collection of their favorite photos which they can then share with the site owner or anyone else. That's what I'm interested in.

I totally agree with you, it would be a huge asset, I was just thinking how it might be a problem. But like you say, there are workarounds.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    I'm just wondering if SmugMug could come up with something similar to Exposure Manager in regards to having separate favorite attached to anyone's email account that entered their email account upon entering a photographer's website. Since I do mostly high school action sports I don't have the time nor is it feasible to enter everyone's information into a package.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited March 22, 2010
    I'm just wondering if SmugMug could come up with something similar to Exposure Manager in regards to having separate favorite attached to anyone's email account that entered their email account upon entering a photographer's website. Since I do mostly high school action sports I don't have the time nor is it feasible to enter everyone's information into a package.
    For all you who want favorites for anyone with an email address, I've created a feature request on Smugmug's uservoice feature request system. If you want it, go vote for it.

If you've never used uservoice before, you don't have to create a separate login account. You can select OpenID and then enter your username.smugmug.com address and it will let you use your smugmug login for uservoice.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • redshadow01redshadow01 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Kudos to the Smugmug team for releasing this feature. It makes my life as a wedding photographer much easier (brides can now choose their own favorites, no more emailing back and forth)

Just one niggle though:

I tried this out for myself, clicked on the link as a client, its cool I can tag photos as favorites, but when it was time to go back to the event page, I instinctively looked for a button called "Done Selecting Favourites" at the bottom or top of the page. Then I figured out that I had to use the breadcrumb link to go back.

Is there a way to add a button "Done choosing my faves" to the galleries?

thx!
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    All,

Event email features need some improvements... such as marking the people you've already sent an email to, email all people at once, and perhaps allow a selection of an existing coupon to be included.

If you like any of this, please vote!

http://smugmug.uservoice.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/593633-improve-event-email-marketing-
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Setting the page theme for the event page
    I've searched the thread and tried everything that I can think of so here I am. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere and hope someone points me in the right direction.

Tried the new event option the other day and found that I lose my custom header and theme on the private page that comes up for the client. I love Smugmug don't get me wrong but I much prefer having my own logo and color scheme present on this page. The galleries I add to the event manager are just fine, they have my custom settings.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure there's something very simple that I'm missing.
  • mbmmbm Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2010
    remove tag
    Hello Everyone,

My first post I lurk great to be a part of this community!

I think the events manager is great feature!!!!

I would really LOVE if along with the favorites icon (the heart) there could be included an X icon (to signal me to delete) so I could remove the ones the client doesn't like.

I always send a preview before I make the link public and there's usually something the client wants removed. This would make this event manager EXCELLENT , for me anyway.

I am surprised no one else considered it yet.
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    mbm wrote:
    Hello Everyone,

My first post I lurk great to be a part of this community!

I think the events manager is great feature!!!!

I would really LOVE if along with the favorites icon (the heart) there could be included an X icon (to signal me to delete) so I could remove the ones the client doesn't like.

I always send a preview before I make the link public and there's usually something the client wants removed. This would make this event manager EXCELLENT , for me anyway.

I am surprised no one else considered it yet.

That is cool. Or just add a few different tags... ie. Heart, White Flag, Black Flag, etc.

I have many purposes a client needs to pick photos.

I need them to pick a set for printing.
    I need them to pick a different set for the Album
    I need yet another set for video
    etc, And I'm sure the client would want the favorites bin just for themselves. Though I'd love to be able to have a visible self feeding gallery in the events itself showing the popular photos from the event.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited March 25, 2010
    Betz wrote:
    I've searched the thread and tried everything that I can think of so here I am. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere and hope someone points me in the right direction.

Tried the new event option the other day and found that I lose my custom header and theme on the private page that comes up for the client. I love Smugmug don't get me wrong but I much prefer having my own logo and color scheme present on this page. The galleries I add to the event manager are just fine, they have my custom settings.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure there's something very simple that I'm missing.

anyone?
    edited March 25, 2010
    Betz wrote:
    anyone?
    link to event page? ear.gif
    edited March 25, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    link to event page? ear.gif

Here you go:

http://www.smugmug.com/share/SNpj1oGbsJORQ

I can change the theme in one gallery but my banner doesn't show up. The second gallery "Optional Prints" has the settings that I normally have.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Betz wrote:
    Here you go:

http://www.smugmug.com/share/SNpj1oGbsJORQ

I can change the theme in one gallery but my banner doesn't show up. The second gallery "Optional Prints" has the settings that I normally have.
    The sharegroup/event might be picking up the customization of the first
    gallery. Under gallery settings make sure appearance is set to "custom"
    for that gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited March 26, 2010
    Allen wrote:
    The sharegroup/event might be picking up the customization of the first
    gallery. Under gallery settings make sure appearance is set to "custom"
    for that gallery.

Everything is set to custom. Both galleries were created at nearly the same time. Both should look the same. I've since been able to change the first gallery to an all white theme but my banner and link back to my main site are no longer available. It has me confuzzled. Fortunately this gallery is for my best friend and she's fully aware she's a "test" case that's why we threw the snaps from a day with her kids in there.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Betz wrote:
    Everything is set to custom. Both galleries were created at nearly the same time. Both should look the same. I've since been able to change the first gallery to an all white theme but my banner and link back to my main site are no longer available. It has me confuzzled. Fortunately this gallery is for my best friend and she's fully aware she's a "test" case that's why we threw the snaps from a day with her kids in there.
    Uncheck "hide owner" in the gallery. The link is showing www.smugmug.com

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/11575612_PBCki#815854215_xka4a
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited March 26, 2010
    Allen wrote:
    Uncheck "hide owner" in the gallery. The link is showing www.smugmug.com

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/11575612_PBCki#815854215_xka4a

VOILA!!

I knew it was something simple. Thank you very much! Events Manager is now my best friend.
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the "SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing. You look better here." page title for every event has got to go. It should be "Event Name | Site Name".