• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Dgrin Forum Support the dgrin suggestion box

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  11
1 2 3 4 5 Last »
Old Oct-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
the dgrin suggestion box
yep. here's where it goes. let's hear from you
Old Oct-17-2005, 09:21 AM
SnapHappy is offline SnapHappy
Major grins
Hmmmm!

How about an "A to Z of photography" sticky thread. Maybe some of you talented souls could come up with an A to Z covering the various areas/ of photography and brief descriptions against each. i.e:

C : Chromatic Aberration,
and thus a brief description (I would give one if I knew what it was!) and an example shot maybe.

It would be an ideal tutorial thread for newcomers to photography.

Is that a daft idea???? Could be, but who cares? At least I was first!!
Old Oct-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapHappy
ial thread for newcomers to photography.

Is that a daft idea???? Could be, but who cares? At least I was first!!
it's not daft at all - but it's been done over and over, elsewhere, so i don't think recreating that sort of thing is worthwhile - but keep thinking of ideas for stuff that's unique, or a unique way of doing things

btw: take a look at photo.net regarding that a to z thingie....
Old Oct-17-2005, 10:05 AM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
SnapHappy -

Take a look here and see if you can't find what you're looking for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography

We volunteers here on dgrin will find it difficult to improve on wikipedia as a resource, I venture.
Old Oct-17-2005, 10:12 AM
SnapHappy is offline SnapHappy
Major grins
2 great links that have been bookmarked, ta.v.much.
Old Oct-17-2005, 03:13 PM
ChrisJ is online now ChrisJ
Major grins
Don't take this the wrong way...
I like birds, and bird shots, really! I've even posted one. But I find myself getting lost in the feathers in "Nature & Wildlife."

Since my Dgrin time has been severely curtailed (due to my new boy), I find myself hitting "Mark this forum read" more often than not.

So my suggestion is this, split off the birdies into their own forum. There's definitely enough posts to support it!

Old Oct-22-2005, 05:59 AM
rutt is offline rutt
Cave canem!
Motorcycle forum
There has been the suggestion that the birds get their own forum. How about giving the motorcycles their own forum as well?
Old Oct-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutt
There has been the suggestion that the birds get their own forum. How about giving the motorcycles their own forum as well?

a) we have a suggestion box thread (i'm moving your post there...)

and

b) you're kidding, right

it's our sister forum
Old Oct-22-2005, 06:02 AM
rutt is offline rutt
Cave canem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
a) we have a suggestion box thread

and

b) you're kidding, right

it's our sister forum
You're getting better at detecting my (sometimes lame) jokes. This particular one grew out of digging through the Sporting Goods forum looking for opportunities to critique.
Old Oct-22-2005, 06:47 AM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
Quote:
Old Oct-23-2005, 07:41 AM
lynnma is offline lynnma
Moddess Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder
how about a forum for just doggies .. no people, no cats, no squirrels.. just doggies..
(in a photo gallery I did on a website I created and managed I did all doggies, boy was my boss mad at me.. the people were all sooo boring and the doggies were all so happy to have their photos taken.. ) he made me take them down.. spoil sport...

slow down and look

website
Old Oct-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnma
how about a forum for just doggies .. no people, no cats, no squirrels.. just doggies..
(in a photo gallery I did on a website I created and managed I did all doggies, boy was my boss mad at me.. the people were all sooo boring and the doggies were all so happy to have their photos taken.. ) he made me take them down.. spoil sport...
i will make a doggies forum right after i make the dedicated ribs forum
Old Nov-23-2005, 04:55 PM
ChrisJ is online now ChrisJ
Major grins
Breadcrumbs at the bottom?
I browse dgrin using the breadcrumb links at the top of the page (Like Digital Grin > Support > dgrin site info and support > the dgrin suggestion box). By doing this, threads are marked as read, and when all threads are read, the group is marked as read. I find this easier than using the back/refresh buttons on my browser.

So when I'm done reading a thread with several pictures, and I'm at the bottom of the page, I'd rather not have to scroll back to the top of the thread to click my breadcrumb link.

I wouldn't want the entire breadcrumb list, but maybe just a link to the current forum near the "Previous Thread | Next Thread" links.

Just a suggestion... if it's just me, maybe I'll try and write a Greasemonkey script.
Old Apr-05-2009, 06:39 PM
swintonphoto is offline swintonphoto
Artist
I would love to see another forum added to the shots section called "Architecture" or "Structure" or something like that. My biggest passion in photography is photographing structures. Often I don't feel like there is a place that they fit in the threads.
Old Apr-05-2009, 07:08 PM
DavidTO is online now DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by swintonphoto
I would love to see another forum added to the shots section called "Architecture" or "Structure" or something like that. My biggest passion in photography is photographing structures. Often I don't feel like there is a place that they fit in the threads.

Thanks, Jonathan! Noted.
Old Jul-19-2009, 09:35 AM
DavidTO is online now DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
I've moved the couple of comments about closing The Whipping Post that ended up here over to the thread that I've made just for that purpose, here.
Old Jul-20-2009, 06:53 PM
anwmn1 is offline anwmn1
Wandering the Desert
A portion of a post I made in the whipping post closing thread. Posting here because I received a PM stating much of this should go here.

Quote:
The following are MY PERSONAL OPIONIONS on this change and some of the posts in this thread.

While I would like to see some of the categories re-named or at least clarified I do not want to see a ton of specialized sub categories. It only adds to the moderation problem and creates cliquish groups. Keep it simple.

Gallery type area:
Landscape-
Wildlife-
People- Category for Weddings makes sense but no need to create additional sub categories for kids/candids/seniors etc.. It helps everyone if they see all types of people photography.
Macro-
Sports-
Automotive- (currently not existent-often dumped into sports or other depending on if it is racing, photo shoot, art, or old and rusty)
Street- (PJ/Architecture)
Journeys-

Another change that I have suggested before is to clean up is the Wide Angle. Big Picture and Mind your own business often cover the very same things. Find better names for these to clearly identify what those two categories are to really include.

Whipping post or something similar can easily be added to Technique or Photo Finsh. A true critique not only covers the basics of photography and the 'rules' but also the post process, technique, sizing, etc.

For me: Post Process- Critiques- and Aspects of Business all fall in line together.

Location location location- should include the dgrin shoot, any of the pro's shoots, as well as individuals seeking location help or posting an upcoming shoot-

My suggestion:

Location, Location, Location:
Dgrin Shootouts-(sub cat) Annual shoots- Announcement- Preparing threads- and photos/threads of the shootout.
House Pro Workshops- (sub cats) Marc-BD- etc.
What to shoot? - (sub cat) I am traveling to .... what should I shoot?
Shoot with me- (sub cat) I am shooting ...... Who wants to shoot with me?

Hopefully the powers that be will take all of the comments and suggestions, evaluate the core points and work towards making improvements that move dgrin in a forward motion but still in a direction that separates itself from the other 100 photo forums out there.

A final thought:

Keep and enhance what makes you different and special, rather than copying the sites people are leaving to come here.

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
Old Dec-02-2005, 04:44 AM
rutt is offline rutt
Cave canem!
How about a place of some sort for requests for the moderators, things like thread moves, stick/unstick, and the like? That would provide a kind of "load balancing" among the moderators for these boring but important little jobs. I think this could just be a sticky thread in this forum.
Old Dec-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
How about a place of some sort for requests for the moderators, things like thread moves, stick/unstick, and the like? That would provide a kind of "load balancing" among the moderators for these boring but important little jobs. I think this could just be a sticky thread in this forum.
This is done, btw.
Old Dec-04-2005, 04:58 AM
rutt is offline rutt
Cave canem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Thanks!
Tell The World!