• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras Canon is pissing me off

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  3
1 2 3
Old Feb-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Andy is offline Andy OP
Bicameral
Canon is pissing me off
1Dx? well, it sounds great, but the new 5DIII that will be announced shortly sounds even better, actually, for this landscaper/portrait guy. I can use quite well my 7D for the wildlife stuff I shoot on safari in Africa.

But what's really pissing me off is Canon's lack of ability to deliver on the 200-400 L they've promised for like a year now, and then the rumors we're seeing is that it'll be a $10K lens? WTF

It's hard to ignore the great stuff from Nikon, that's for sure.
Old Feb-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Zerodog is offline Zerodog
Nikonowhore
I sort of feel like that about the D800. For me 36mp is totally over the top. The file size would kill me for even a small event. D4? Maybe we will see. For now, I am really happy with the 12mp workhorses I have now. And where is Nikons update to the 80-400 rumored for years? Canon at least has the 100-400 that is not a bad lens. The Nikon, from what I hear is crawling slow. Their 200-400? Pretty high $$$ too.

Andy I think this year will be a weird one. Serious posturing from all fronts. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
Old Feb-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Matthew Saville is offline Matthew Saville
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog View Post
I sort of feel like that about the D800. For me 36mp is totally over the top. The file size would kill me for even a small event. D4? Maybe we will see. For now, I am really happy with the 12mp workhorses I have now. And where is Nikons update to the 80-400 rumored for years? Canon at least has the 100-400 that is not a bad lens. The Nikon, from what I hear is crawling slow. Their 200-400? Pretty high $$$ too.

Andy I think this year will be a weird one. Serious posturing from all fronts. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
This is definitely a "tweener" generation for many Nikon users. Nikon just has to get their megapixel anxiety worked out, kill it with the D800 for a while, and then in 12-18 months we'll see the D4 sensor show up in a more affordable body. Mark my words. Just keep shooting with you D700's / D3s' and bide your time. Personally, I'm more excited to see which LENSES Nikon makes this year...

2012 is going to be a very satisfying year for BOTH brands, I believe. It's just off to a "slow" start for some of us...

=Matt=
Old Feb-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Wedding Photographer
The good news is, that Japanese guy who was testing the 5D mk3, was also testing the 200-400. So chances are we'll see both at relatively the same time.

Canon seems bent on one-upping Nikon with insane prices, that's for sure $2300 for a 24-70 mk2 without IS? Good luck selling that one.

Honestly Andy it sounds like you should just buy yourself a Nikon 200-400 and a D3s. That'll SURELY jinx Canon into releasing the 200-400 a week later!

=Matt=
Old Feb-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Moving Pictures is offline Moving Pictures
Bokeh, Dano
Faugh. If you guys want a pretentious pricy lens, just go after that $24k 500-1,000 f2.8 Sigma in the camo colours I've seen listed on Amazon ...
Old Feb-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Manfr3d is offline Manfr3d
Likes it bokehlicious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
Faugh. If you guys want a pretentious pricy lens, just go after that $24k 500-1,000 f2.8 Sigma in the camo colours I've seen listed on Amazon ...
There was a used one for sale for 5k the other month in my town.
Old Feb-23-2012, 02:25 PM
novicesnapper is offline novicesnapper
Major grins
Andy, I just posted my thoughts on the Nikon vs Cannon thread lmao. If I had it to do over again, no doubt in my mind lol.
Old Feb-23-2012, 02:45 PM
cmason is online now cmason
Old dog, new tricks
Sounds like what the Nikon guys were saying a year ago
Old Feb-23-2012, 03:09 PM
time2smile is offline time2smile
Major grins
Andy, come to the dark side, we are waiting for you.....
http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
Old Feb-23-2012, 04:28 PM
borrowlenses.com is offline borrowlenses.com
Major grins
At WPPI we asked them where the 200-400 was and they just said "It's not here" and wouldn't say anything else. They had the new 500 and 600 on display too.

Follow us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
Old Feb-23-2012, 09:18 PM
JimKarczewski is offline JimKarczewski
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrowlenses.com View Post
At WPPI we asked them where the 200-400 was and they just said "It's not here" and wouldn't say anything else. They had the new 500 and 600 on display too.
Did you also ask them when they were going to pull their heads out of their a$$es? I'd really like to know.
Old Feb-23-2012, 11:52 PM
puzzledpaul is offline puzzledpaul
low down bum
For normal mortals most high end gear is just a pipe dream anyway imo, whatever the flavour. It's even worse on the rhs of the pond where msp/rrp Nos are often similar - even tho' exchange rates are involved.

pp
Old Feb-24-2012, 04:20 AM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Canon announced Nov 2011 that the EF 200-400mm, f4L USM was "indefinitely delayed", and that status has not changed (officially).

It was not mentioned on the Canon USA site, only the Japan site. "The Digital Picture" translated it on Nov 16, 2011:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...-Announcements

"The Canon EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM Ext 1.4x Lens was originally expected to be (formally) announced on February 07, 2011 and scheduled for release later this year. This launch has also been delayed indefinitely. A release date for this lens will be announced when it is known.

We appologize for the inconvenience caused by these delays and will continue to make every effort to launch the new lenses. We look forward to your continued patronage."
Old Feb-25-2012, 11:57 PM
insanefred is offline insanefred
Disgruntled Photographer
Hhahah!

Canon is trolling Andy.
Old Feb-27-2012, 01:38 PM
jmphotocraft is offline jmphotocraft
GWC for hire
I'd be pissed if I was a Nikon shooter right now. Because now there is a giant gaping hole in their FF lineup that is only filled by the $6000 D4. And the APS-C line tops out at the old D300s or the 6fps D7000.

Andy I don't think there is a major difference in resolution from 18 to 22mp, and the 1DX will still be the winner for FPS and build.

Price out your lens bag in Nikkor terms and you may feel better.

"I bought a new camera, it's very advanced. You don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Last edited by jmphotocraft; Feb-27-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old Feb-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmphotocraft View Post
I'd be pissed if I was a Nikon shooter right now. Because now there is a giant gaping hole in their FF lineup that is only filled by the $6000 D4. And the APS-C line tops out at the old D300s or the 6fps D7000.

Andy I don't think there is a major difference in resolution from 18 to 22mp, and the 1DX will still be the winner for FPS and build.

Price out your lens bag in Nikkor terms and you may feel better.
If you were a Nikon shooter, you'd realize just how satisfied 99% of us are with the D700 already. Many of us are just flat-out buying a 2nd / new D700 now, we're *thrilled*!

;-)
Old Feb-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Stuart-M is offline Stuart-M
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Saville View Post
If you were a Nikon shooter, you'd realize just how satisfied 99% of us are with the D700 already. Many of us are just flat-out buying a 2nd / new D700 now, we're *thrilled*!

;-)
At least until you get your hands on a 5D3, then
Old Feb-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart-M View Post
At least until you get your hands on a 5D3, then
But then the 5 D mk3 is a "tweener" again. Is it a D800 competitor? Is it a D700 competitor? All I know is that there are very few features on the 5D mk3 that I don't already have on the D700. Flagship AF and more FPS might be exciting for 5D mk2 users, but it's old news to me. ;-)

(/poke dead horse)

=Matt=
Old Feb-27-2012, 04:27 PM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
I cannot recommend that people make plans based on a rumor site's specifications. Let's just wait and see what gets announced first.

As far as Canon and Nikon "competitor" cameras, if you're already committed to one brand or the other it's extremely expensive to switch systems, so specifications and performance for cameras in "your" brand are the primary consideration for a purchase.
Old Feb-27-2012, 05:10 PM
jmphotocraft is offline jmphotocraft
GWC for hire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Saville View Post
But then the 5 D mk3 is a "tweener" again. Is it a D800 competitor? Is it a D700 competitor?
This is classic Canikon collusion. Making staggered bodies that don't directly compete.

In 2008 21mp was outrageous resolution. 22mp will hold its own just fine. I certainly don't want to shoot 36mp raws all day and deal with the mountain of data afterwards.

Quote:
All I know is that there are very few features on the 5D mk3 that I don't already have on the D700. Flagship AF and more FPS might be exciting for 5D mk2 users, but it's old news to me. ;-)
Har har. What news is older than 12mp? I couldn't go back there after working with 21mp files. It's nice. If only you had an upgrade path to 16mp with pro AF and more FPS that didn't cost $6000. But you don't.

"I bought a new camera, it's very advanced. You don't even need it." - Steven Wright
Page 1  of  3
1 2 3
Tell The World!