Options

Mini Challenge #70 - Long Exposure

grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
edited February 11, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Long exposures can create dramatic effects in photography. Often times they are associated with night shots but even in normal lighting situations, long exposures can be used to create amazing photos.

Make sure you use a longer than normal exposure on all submissions.

Here's a couple examples to get it started
47594305_KPFGg-L.jpg

188250338_fPR87-L-1.jpg

257142059_GccZp-L.jpg

This challenge begins Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 at 12:00:00 AM CST and ends Tuesday, February 10th at 11:59:59 PM CST.

GENERAL RULES

1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, put an asterisk (*) next to the title of the image.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, dont let this just be an entry thread!
6. Dont be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Comments

• Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Cool! I can't wait to see what other people come up with for this, I've seen some really creative long exposure shots, landscapes and otherwise.

#1: Last Second (Second Beach at sunset, intentionally over-exposed to soften the waves and colors, 20 second exposure):

457394039_NhRvx-L.jpg

#2: Falls from the Flood (Snoqualmie Falls while the Snoqualmie River was at flood levels a few weeks ago, this was taken at dawn, 30 second exposure, and basically the last shot I got before my entire camera was drenched with water being kicked up from the river :D):

452716004_Cgfr3-L.jpg

#3: Sunset Soon Forgotten (Lake Washington sunset, 30 second exposure about 20 minutes after sunset)

186958465_TXD6W-L-1.jpg

I tried to get three different examples, and when I thought they were all sufficiently different, I realized they all had water in them! What can I say, I like how long exposures tend to soften water, whether it be the ocean, a waterfall, or a lake.
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Cool topic! Been wanting to try true long exposure shots (5 sec or more) but haven't found a suitable subject yet. (Ron and Grimace - holy smokes those are awesome shots! Thanks for the motivation kick-start.) This is great inspiration to look for more opportunities here in my neck o' the woods. For now I'm going to take "long exposure" to mean anything over 1 second, of which I have only this small and very humble handful:

Lightning, Arches Nat'l Park
    377035556_9JeLe-L.jpg
    1.6 sec at f/11 ISO 200. Pure luck as I tripped the shutter just before the lightning struck. Not super dramatic but my first ever shot of lightning.

People Movers, Chicago O'Hare International Airport
    396456473_LqjLZ-L.jpg
    1.3 sec at f/22 ISO 800. The wacky neon lights above flashed on and off in different patterns - the long exposure allowed all of them to appear lit up, and enhanced motion blur to accentuate the sense of bustling humanity. I wanted extreme DOF for the long corridor, hence the small aperture. Don't know why the ISO was set so high - probably from a previous shot!

National Christmas Tree, Washington D.C.
    446443456_up59J-L.jpg
    13 sec at f/22 ISO 200. The small aperture produced the starry effect on the lights. Long exposure rendered invisible the literally hundreds of people milling about the empty field in front of the tree - except for the couple standing still for a self-portrait.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Still Life by Winter Northern Light
    5 1/2 Hour Exposure

466920233_je3c4-L.jpg

Never got around to re-snappin this. Need several hours of 'good' light. Have buckets of Night and Water pics but I decided to throw something a little different into the mix.

On Edit: Realized I posted a 'Film Snap' in a Digital Forum. I'll take a looksie to see what I can replace it with. (my bad)
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    5 1/2 Hour Exposure

466920233_je3c4-L.jpg

Never got around to re-snappin this. Need several hours of 'good' light. Have buckets of Night and Water pics but I decided to throw something a little different into the mix.

On Edit: Realized I posted a 'Film Snap' in a Digital Forum. I'll take a looksie to see what I can replace it with. (my bad)

dont replace this, its wonderful. if you took the photograph that is what matters, btw, you can add two more....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    general rule #3 deal.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    #1 - Webster Groves Festival

326221234_iJWjE-L.jpg

#2 - Artillery from the Fourth

328972570_pSoXv-XL.jpg

#3 - Camping

292960813_L8PNj-L-1.jpg
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Long Exposures = Awesomeness!!
    1) The first long exposure I took... it sort of happened by accident since I'd only had the camera a month. I loved the results, so I've been playing with long exposures ever since!
    451870597_xbzhG-L.jpg

2) Luckily, most of the crowd stayed still, held in place by a street performer. I really enjoyed the contrast of the stationary crowd and the flow of people behind them.
    455867436_YyC6n-L.jpg

3) An experiment with long exposures of the waves and their relationship to the unmoving pier... Maybe a higher vantage point would have allowed me to capture more of the soft waves, but I like it!
    459740715_tvsRx-L.jpg
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Great looking shots everyone!! Keep 'em coming!!
  • Options
    Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    dont replace this, its wonderful. if you took the photograph that is what matters, btw, you can add two more....thumb.gif

Thanks much for the kind words. I just read 'Rule #3'. I'll take a looksie to see what else I can come up.
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    dimitra72dimitra72 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    A little different
    I usually use long exposure to capture details like this photo:
    467269331_iWSrR-S.jpg

And I actually tried a camera toss! I was a little nervous about it, but actual found it fun!
    467269324_JUrLr-S.jpg
    And oddly enough, this next one was a mistake...but I really ended up liking it!
    467274451_xFPGF-S-0.jpg
  • Options
    mikeinlancmikeinlanc Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2009
    Outstanding
    This image #1 is the stuff that photographers pursue for a lifetime. That perfect shot. What a wonderful image to use as the focal point for a studio. OUTSTANDING. clap.gif
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    #1 - Webster Groves Festival

326221234_iJWjE-L.jpg

#2 - Artillery from the Fourth

328972570_pSoXv-XL.jpg

#3 - Camping

292960813_L8PNj-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    climbbikeclimbbike Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Hi everyone . . . I'm new to the board. Seems like you have a great little community here.

#1 - Ocean Shores

_DSC4188.jpg

#2 - Skagit Valley Tulip Festival
    15 sec exposure. After taking this photo, we got chased off the property because the owner thought we were stealing flowers being there so late at night :)

_DSC1815.jpg

#3 - The Emerald City at Night
    8 second exposure

DSC_0071.jpg
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 4, 2009
    I am a total amature with long exposures!
    This is one tecnique that I still have lots of learning to do. Here are a few of my lousy attempts...they fall quite short on the great images I am seeing all you post.

1. Taken this morning out my back door. It was still pretty dark out and the exposure was on bulb for about 25 seconds. It was -15f degrees out and the orange glow is from a parking lot that our neighbors put up (so much for building regulations in Alaska)...
    467393646_2yn9X-L.jpg

2. This was taken at Sea World in San Antonio, Tx...It was a very bright day and I was using a polarizer to try and slow down the shutter speed. And even though I had a monopod...I still couldn't hold still enough!...
    318859785_gN2XS-L-2.jpg

3. Taken a few at the 2008 new year in 10f degree temps. My first time ever trying to shoot fireworks (unfortunately it doesn't get dark enough in July for us so have to do it in the cold)...considering this was hand held and I had not a clue to what I was doing...
    250047411_pYm6R-L-5.jpg

So any comments of ideas how I can do better with my long exposure shots would be appreciated.
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Long exposures can be so much fun to play with!

1. Blown Away
    199522153_6bawo-M-1.jpg

2. DeSoto Falls
    273359561_x5msv-M.jpg

3. 25 Seconds in the Light
    241255308_gWfBA-M.jpg
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Foggy Falls
    466096671_EqRmZ-XL.jpg
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 4, 2009
    #1 Rushing around Disney World
    236284779_3wRwq-L.jpg

#2 OOOOH AHHHHH!
    325057107_KgSfj-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    Hello everyone, heres my go...

I love Long Expos!.... even though im always learning the hard way, I never let it get me down....8 zillion exposures and I now have a few i likethumb.gif

here are some of my favs

I wanted the flag movement just right, its fun trying to get the timing just right.

Utah state capital building.
    2sec expo
    468351431_C4k37-XL.jpg

Bryce Canyon: a favorite location of mine,
    i was doing a really long expo and noticed the sunrise was going to crest.
    so i decided to hold out just a little to see what would happen in the exposure and it turned out to be a keeper in my book...
    Thors Hammer is photographed daily, i feel ive done good when i get something different from the crowd, so dont knock it....thumb.gif

488sec expo,

"Crest"
    468385416_ixjRL-XL.jpg

Salt Lake City, Conference Center (Roof Top)
    ( i just printed this in Metallic paper, and very well pleased with it...)

75sec expo
    460234387_Me8mm-XL-1.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    banjopetebanjopete Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Nice shots everyone. I have a question for Jeffmeyers what was the lighting in the foreground of your camping shot from?
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Hello everyone, heres my go...

I love Long Expos!.... even though im always learning the hard way, I never let it get me down....8 zillion exposures and I now have a few i likethumb.gif

here are some of my favs

I wanted the flag movement just right, its fun trying to get the timing just right.

Utah state capital building.
    2sec expo
    468351431_C4k37-XL.jpg

Bryce Canyon: a favorite location of mine,
    i was doing a really long expo and noticed the sunrise was going to crest.
    so i decided to hold out just a little to see what would happen in the exposure and it turned out to be a keeper in my book...
    Thors Hammer is photographed daily, i feel ive done good when i get something different from the crowd, so dont knock it....thumb.gif

488sec expo,

"Crest"
    468385416_ixjRL-XL.jpg

Salt Lake City, Conference Center (Roof Top)
    ( i just printed this in Metallic paper, and very well pleased with it...)

75sec expo
    460234387_Me8mm-XL-1.jpg

It's a good thing you are considered a winner from the last challenge deal.gif , lol, it would be hard to top these photos. .::Wipes sweat of brow::.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    banjopete wrote:
    Nice shots everyone. I have a question for Jeffmeyers what was the lighting in the foreground of your camping shot from?

Good question. I have a flashlight turned on inside the tent. And the light on the grass is from a large camp fire behind me a to my left, and maybe even a bit of light from the cabin near the camp fire. Does that answer your question?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    It's a good thing you are considered a winner from the last challenge deal.gif , lol, it would be hard to top these photos. .::Wipes sweat of brow::.

ha, im pretty sure Grimace would have something to say about that....

funny thing is i too am always in awe of everyones entries, it amazes me that so many have so much of a great collection...

which reminds me.... where has Pyry been?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jrnylstjrnylst Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    9/11 Memorial Stairclimb
    370498137_Rg4KT-L.jpg

Dueling Light Shows
    249779866_ADkN6-L.jpg

Awaiting Moonrise
    269951234_uX9CE-L-2.jpg
    alias Snowcatcher, but still a jrnylst at heart
    http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    which reminds me.... where has Pyry been?
    Thanks for that :D I've been busy and away from home a lot for the past month. The latter part is done, will see how the busy goes...

Anyway, here's my 48 minutes: Metsähovi Star Trail
    409304398_nCfQt-L-1.jpg

I've got a solargraph can going on at about 5 weeks, I'll see if it's alive and post the picture later.

Edit: Right! I'm shamelessly going for the Longest Exposure In Show award with 6 weeks (42 days).

Sun and Fireflys
    471433668_YoAfv-L.jpg

BTW, some of the shots in here.. wow!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 6, 2009
    jrnylst wrote:
    Dueling Light Shows
    249779866_ADkN6-L.jpg

I am at awe at this shot! 1 in a billion chances to capture something like this!
  • Options
    PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Lost river*
    468733164_7xy5e-L.jpg

468735644_sHTfX-L.jpg
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    jrnylst wrote:
    Awaiting Moonrise

269951234_uX9CE-M.jpg

Im sure glad im not judging this challenge, so MANY MANY sweet images,

but im rooting you on for this one...

iloveyou.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    derosaphotographyderosaphotography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2009
    These shots were taken in and around Bellingham Washington. Each of them were taken at night with a long shutter opening - Enjoy

443109080_PZYFS-L.jpg

443103746_bwZSd-L.jpg

443121627_WjTgg-L.jpg
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Well, long exposures is not something I've done much with...
    but I can see I've been missing out, the entries so far have been very inspiring!
    So, I'm just throwing this in for fun, feel free to laugh at my measly attempt!
    We were having a family bonfire one night last summer, and the kids were playing flashlight tag,
    my oldest wanted to see if it would work to catch an image of writing with the flashlight...so here you have it....

Joe
    466967227_Bqioz-L.jpg
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    Sean FSean F Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2009
    Joe, I think that's pretty cool. I'm surprised you were able to keep the background blacked out while you did that.

Here's mine, out of my pretty limitted long exposure pics:

447490070_55JN9-L-3.jpg

and

447489967_p9KyP-L-3.jpg
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Long exposures... Great topic, some really superb images so far... here are my humble submissions... :D

Hong Kong has a great skyline and very unique buildings... this is a reflection as well as a long exposure... I didn't have a tripod for this excursion...

126338081_MqSEa-L.jpg

3 shot pano From the top of Rockefeller Center...

352812114_4cXak-XL.jpg

Pano of Shanghai China

168480665_GKmNF-L.jpg

Winston