Options

SmugMug Profits..

nfptaceknfptacek Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Alright I'm new to the forums and I'm sure this has been asked somewhere, but I cant really find the exact answer I need in the forums. Basically my question is that with the standard or medium levels of smugmug, what happens when someone purchases your photos for download or prints. I know you can turn a profit with the pro level, but If you don't get any money on the other levels then what is the real point in smugmug? Wasting $40 a year to just display your photos?

Sorry if I seem narrow minded, im just confused on this one.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited February 2, 2009
    nfptacek wrote:
    Basically my question is that with the standard or medium levels of smugmug, what happens when someone purchases your photos for download or prints. I know you can turn a profit with the pro level, but If you don't get any money on the other levels then what is the real point in smugmug? Wasting $40 a year to just display your photos?
    The only level of account where you can sell your photos (in any form) with a profit returned to you is a pro level account.

--- Denise
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    nfptacek wrote:
    If you don't get any money on the other levels then what is the real point in smugmug? Wasting $40 a year to just display your photos?
    Troll much?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    nfptacek wrote:
    Alright I'm new to the forums and I'm sure this has been asked somewhere, but I cant really find the exact answer I need in the forums. Basically my question is that with the standard or medium levels of smugmug, what happens when someone purchases your photos for download or prints. I know you can turn a profit with the pro level, but If you don't get any money on the other levels then what is the real point in smugmug? Wasting $40 a year to just display your photos?

Sorry if I seem narrow minded, im just confused on this one.

First off, you control whether you images are offered for sale or download. If you only want web display, you can configure it that way.

You are paying $40/yr for unlimited storage with triple backup, unlimited bandwidth, automatic creation of eight different viewing sizes, beautiful display styles, slideshows, 100% satisfaction guarantee on prints, email support, forum support, ability to customize your site (power account), all sorts of privacy or password options to control who sees your images and so on.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    First off, you control whether you images are offered for sale or download. If you only want web display, you can configure it that way.

You are paying $40/yr for unlimited storage with triple backup, unlimited bandwidth, automatic creation of eight different viewing sizes, beautiful display styles, slideshows, 100% satisfaction guarantee on prints, email support, forum support, ability to customize your site (power account), all sorts of privacy or password options to control who sees your images and so on.
    Sorry.. this is a troll.. Don't feed the trolls :P
  • Options
    nfptaceknfptacek Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2009
    Hmm....Alright thanks so much guys, finally a straightforward answer. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Honestly...Smugmug is worth every penny IMHO. I wish I could give some specifics, besides their 'oh so excellent' customer service, but they keep surprising me with their eagerness to be the best. Ideas and innovation move freely between smugmug users and it's creators. How cool is that?
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Let me start by saying, I am currently signing up for my smugmug account (already have the camera strap!!!) and will probably just start with a power account. I don't think my shots are good enough to sell or go pro with (YET!). My question is this: Can a person (or group) order a CD with every photo from a specific gallery from a Power account? I will mainly be shooting indoor competitive cheerleading and I know from experience (my wife specifically...) that many of the parents buy a CD with all of the shots from thier team. If you can't do it from smugmug, would it be wrong to tell the parents that I could offer them one outside of the smugmug site??
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Let me start by saying, I am currently signing up for my smugmug account (already have the camera strap!!!) and will probably just start with a power account. I don't think my shots are good enough to sell or go pro with (YET!). My question is this: Can a person (or group) order a CD with every photo from a specific gallery from a Power account? I will mainly be shooting indoor competitive cheerleading and I know from experience (my wife specifically...) that many of the parents buy a CD with all of the shots from thier team. If you can't do it from smugmug, would it be wrong to tell the parents that I could offer them one outside of the smugmug site??
    Hey Rocket, we don't have this yet - YOU can order the CD or DVD for the client, but they cannot order it directly, yet. We hope to have it one day!
  • Options
    KasparKaspar Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    How about paypal?
    Andy wrote:
    Hey Rocket, we don't have this yet - YOU can order the CD or DVD for the client, but they cannot order it directly, yet. We hope to have it one day!

1) I have a quick question having to do with profits from my photos. I have a power account. Is it allowed to put a Paypal button on my site with a link to them for my clients to pay through, or do I need to upgrade to a Pro account to do that? Not actually buying through Smugmug exactly. They are just viewing their photos, then clicking on paypal to purchase what they want. Sorry, but I'm completely new to this whole do-it-yourself website business and not really sure how the rules work either. Any help would be greatfully appreciated!
    Thanks, Judy
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Kaspar wrote:
    1) I have a quick question having to do with profits from my photos. I have a power account. Is it allowed to put a Paypal button on my site with a link to them for my clients to pay through, or do I need to upgrade to a Pro account to do that? Not actually buying through Smugmug exactly. They are just viewing their photos, then clicking on paypal to purchase what they want. Sorry, but I'm completely new to this whole do-it-yourself website business and not really sure how the rules work either. Any help would be greatfully appreciated!
    Thanks, Judy
    Sure you can, and it's easy. Just look here:
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Add+Google+Checkout+or+Paypal

and ask any questions in the customizing forum thumb.gif
  • Options
    ashishpandeyashishpandey Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Kaspar wrote:
    Thanks, Judy

I judy. you can do your own paypal and logistics. With a Power account, you are allowed to customize and put your own paypal setup (there is even a paypal customization sample somewhere here on dgrin)

EDIT: oops, Andy already replied :)
    Ashish
    http://photography.ashishpandey.com
    smugmug ID: ashishpandey (but I prefer my domain URL above :D)
  • Options
    KasparKaspar Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I judy. you can do your own paypal and logistics. With a Power account, you are allowed to customize and put your own paypal setup (there is even a paypal customization sample somewhere here on dgrin)

EDIT: oops, Andy already replied :)

Thank you very much Andy and ashishpandey. I will be placing that link on my site just as soon as I figure it all out. :D I'm still going quite slow in doing these things as I'm very unsure of myself. But with help like you offer, I should have no problems getting my site just the way I want it to be. It just will take a while.
    Thank you again,
    Judy