Options

First FILM (remember that stuff????) in a LONG time...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited December 15, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Shooting an early 1980's Nikon N2020 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 with 35mmTri-X at 400, I was able to capture the following on a little walkabout last Friday night in downtown Austin along South Congress Ave.

The local camera store will develop the film and scan it for about $15. Or, I can develop it myself and they'll do the scans for $6 or so. Wouldn't take too terribly long to recoup the $100 or so for chemicals, a developing tank and reel so I might consider going that route.

But here's a few from my first outing in over 30 years shooting B&W film. (Yeah, I found myself looking at the back of the camera after each shot too... )

C&C Welcome!

#1 - Our Lady of the Radish
1105653546_mguUV-L.jpg

#2 - Order Here
1105653769_pDQMv-L.jpg

#3 - Hotrods at the Continental Club
1105653779_smZ3W-L.jpg

#4 - Pickin' and singin' at Guero's
1105654036_rErmj-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    #2 is a refreshing image.
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    damonff wrote: »

Why do you say that? I'm not being smart here, I'm genuinely interested.

To me, I like the third. Maybe it is because I'm more of a machine person rather than a people person?

Anyway, with the film and the subject, the photo suggests a past time.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2010
    #2 - Order Here
    1105653769_pDQMv-L.jpg

This image has a great "feel" to it from the arrow pointing to the proprietor to the jovial expressions of the people in the establishment. Also, the tones of the black and white are very richly exposed creating silvers and grays that work well with the extremes.

Also, if you notice on top of the case, the man is reflected in a very glossy/trippy way that really works with film - I don't think digital would have captured that reflection as well as the film did. And all of the metal in the place really helps film and would destroy digital with all of the CA issues, pre de-saturation I mean of course...

But, I really just like it. It works.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2010

Thanks!

To me, I like the third. Maybe it is because I'm more of a machine person rather than a people person?

Anyway, with the film and the subject, the photo suggests a past time.

If you know anything of Austin and the Continental Club, the old hot rods are sort of on the opposite ends of the club. It's probably one of Austin's first punk venues and later the grunge bands that have done quite well.

My fav of the four is #2. Everyone is happy, has a smile on their face and it's fairly crisp on the guy right under the Order Here sign. At least that's my take on it.

• Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I like #2 as well, but for less technical sounding reasons than Damon.
    I sense the connection between the man ordering and the proprietor.
    Also there is a sense of space between the 2 and the background that gives the photo depth.
    The profile of the proprietor also has a very smooth feel to it. Film?
    The natural clockwise flow of the composition works really well. I noticed this after reading about poster comosition recently on the sports sub-forum.
    My eyes started on the lady in the lower left, then went to to the lady smiling, then to the signs, then the proprietor and the man ordering, where I stayed for a while.
    The counter emphasizes the conversation between the man ordering and the proprietor.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2010
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    The profile of the proprietor also has a very smooth feel to it. Film?

I'm guessing Tri-X 400, probably shot with a Nikon that was built sometimes in the 1980's maybe? Just a guess.

What makes you think it was film?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    I'm guessing Tri-X 400, probably shot with a Nikon that was built sometimes in the 1980's maybe? Just a guess.

What makes you think it was film?

Hey InsuredDisaster - first off, the post said it was film. But this is where the film v digital thing begins to get downright cultish. When we're talking about film cameras we're talking about light tight boxes, as opposed to digital cameras where the particular sensor, with its design quirks, benefits, and drawbacks, constitutes the "film." But a Nikon built in the 1980s? Come on. Are you serious? :D Why not a Nikon SP from the 1950s or early 60s? Or a Canon 7 rangefinder? Or a Nikon F or F2? Or a Canon F1? Why not an Olympus OM-1? Why not a Minolta? Why not a Yashica? A Rollei 35? Why not a Contax? Why not a Leica M, or screwmount, or a Leicaflex? Why not an old Miranda? What matters with a film camera is the lens. The rest is just a light-tight box, and I would defy anyone to be able to tell which box mounted a particular lens. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2010
    InsuredDisaster was making fun of MomaZunk because she asked if it was film even though Scott wrote this:

"Shooting an early 1980's Nikon N2020 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 with 35mmTri-X at 400"

Not very nice to make fun of people. I guess InsuredDisaster never makes mistakes.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    InsuredDisaster was making fun of MomaZunk because she asked if it was film even though Scott wrote this:

"Shooting an early 1980's Nikon N2020 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 with 35mmTri-X at 400"

Not very nice to make fun of people. I guess InsuredDisaster never makes mistakes.

Nature abhors a vacuum.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2010
    I'm sorry about making fun of someone. I was merely teasing. I hope it was not offensive.

I personally feel that if someone has written something along with their photo, then perhaps that should be read as well? They took the time to write it and put it up there with their photo. I think the written story is just as important as the pictures.

My apologies. I truly wrote what I did with a twinkle in the eye and no mean spirits. Sorry if I offended anyone.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Come on, folks... do we want to talk about pictures or about manners? MomaZunk's original mistake was harmless enough, but I didn't think InsuredDisaster's really quite gentle teasing did any harm. It's kind of deserved when someone obviously didn't read the OP, and ID was nice about it.

As for the pictures, #1 is kind of interesting because I'm still not sure whether the woman is a painting or a three-dimensional figure in a recess. #2, as others have noted, is a really nice capture for a number of reasons already stated. Good work!

Most of my shooting these days is on film using a variety of pre-1980 cameras, so it's always fun to see someone else getting back into that sort of thing. Tri-X is one of my favorite films, along with Ilford FP4+ when I want something slower.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Seen in my local market - Kodak "HD" disposable film cameras that promise to produce "HD" quality images.rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Seen in my local market - Kodak "HD" disposable film cameras that promise to produce "HD" quality images.rolleyes1.gif
    Don't buy that stuff, B.D. It's only 720p. Wait for the 1080p film to be released... thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    thoth wrote: »
    Wait for the 1080p film to be released... thumb.gif

Is that what you get when you push TriX 2.7 times? mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    Just looking back at this post...didn't know I was the object of discussion.
    I knew the photos were film, my question meant:was the smooth feel of the profile and the depth of the photo a characteristic of film versus digital?
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    Just looking back at this post...didn't know I was the object of discussion.
    I knew the photos were film, my question meant:was the smooth feel of the profile and the depth of the photo a characteristic of film versus digital?

[BD turns green and rips shirt off]mwink.gif

I apologize again for my earlier post. Hope I didn't offend you.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    no problem....I was posting in "texting" mode and did not include enough words for you guys to understand my meaning.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »

Now one of those would be worth the purchase price simply to take a picture of it as a joke. But the sad part is, there's no joke.