Options

Must rescue files from bad CF card.

WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
:help

Hello fellow DSLR users.

I shot an engagament session last night, and today I was copying the photos to my hard drive, and only got 10 of them, then things went bad.

I have a Kingston 8 GB CF card. I shot in RAW, as usual. There are probably about 300 photos in there, which I desperately need!!

Here's what happened: I decided to use my card reader today, although usually I just connect PC to camera. I was downloading photos, and notcied it was going very slow. I canceled the download, ejected the card/reader, then placed the CF card into my 5D. It says card needs to be formatted. (don't ya just hate that)

I popped it back into my card reader, and same thing. It says needs formatting. Somewhere, something has gone wrong.

I've heard PhotoRescue.com is good, and I called them, but of course they are closed today.

Anyone have any good software rescue to recommend to me? Or ideas that I can use myself? (I'm not too good with knowing all about "sectors" and all that)

I'm really desperate. I nailed some great shots, and this is going to really be bad news if I can't recover the files. But I'm pretty sure they are recoverable.

Please help! Thanks in advance.
Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
My Weddings WebsiteBlog

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    I haven't had to use this software, but I made a bookmark folder some time ago just in case. These are two 'free' or open source photo recovery tools. Doesn't hurt to try, but I have no experience with either:

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

goodluck
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2011
    Thanks. I may check those out if my current venture doesn't work. I've seen many good reviews on "PC Inspector smart recovery 4.5", and I downloaded it, and am currently running it.

Some say it runs slow, and I can say that seems to be true, but I don't care, as I need the photos! As of now, it's showing 28 (and counting) files found. It doesn't say anything about them being recovered yet, but found, yes. That's making me feel better already. It seems to be finding 1 file every 5 minutes, approx.

Any other advice from people is still welcome.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    Well, I've come back to report good news. Hopefully this post will some day be of use to some others. I have had success in recovering my files from the CF card, using PC Inspector smart recovery 4.5. It looks like all the photos are there, and they are also partially intermingled with photos that were still on the card from last shoot(but were formatted over)

So basically, this program rocks, and saved my skin! It's free too. It's also so easy to use, even a caveman could do it.

The program at first said my card was too badly damaged to use "quick mode" or whatever, so it needed to go to "surgical mode" or something. It took nearly 20 hours, but it saved the photos, and I'm stoked! Now, off to go edit them.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Weisel wrote: »
    Well, I've come back to report good news. Hopefully this post will some day be of use to some others. I have had success in recovering my files from the CF card, using PC Inspector smart recovery 4.5. It looks like all the photos are there, and they are also partially intermingled with photos that were still on the card from last shoot(but were formatted over)

So basically, this program rocks, and saved my skin! It's free too. It's also so easy to use, even a caveman could do it.

The program at first said my card was too badly damaged to use "quick mode" or whatever, so it needed to go to "surgical mode" or something. It took nearly 20 hours, but it saved the photos, and I'm stoked! Now, off to go edit them.
    I have also successfully used PC Inspector smart recovery and their other one for regular drives PC Inspector File Recovery they both Rockwings.gif
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Great news !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    sirbenfrosirbenfro Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    I've used this quite a few times, never failed yet!
    I used it on a couple of corrupted Cd's, DVD's as well, worked well. Free as well!
    http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I had this happen to me with a SanDisk CF card a few years ago. They used to package recovery software with their cards. It took hours and hours and hours - but I did retrieve the files. It's something I hope never ever happens to me again.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Sara - Sandisk Rescue Pro. Its much faster now and works great.

OP - glad to hear that it worked out!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    cbbr wrote: »
    Sara - Sandisk Rescue Pro. Its much faster now and works great.

OP - glad to hear that it worked out!

Thanks, Chad, good to know.
    I lost an external HD once, too. Luckily, nothing important, but I came close. I've been paranoid ever since, with multiple HDs in a couple of different locations.

It's all too scary! :-)
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Glad that fixed it, OP!

Had this happen to me in my last wedding. 8 gb card only showed 120 photos when there are 300 in there (first dance, all the family formals, good stuff) - made me ill. I used Sandisk Pro and got them all back. Lightroom says it can't read about 25 photos recovered, so will have to solve that.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    marikris wrote: »
    Glad that fixed it, OP!

Had this happen to me in my last wedding. 8 gb card only showed 120 photos when there are 300 in there (first dance, all the family formals, good stuff) - made me ill. I used Sandisk Pro and got them all back. Lightroom says it can't read about 25 photos recovered, so will have to solve that.

were you shooting jpg or raw?? If raw run thru adobes DNG converter then lightroom.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website