• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Photo Craft Finishing School Images within HTML page

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-12-2012, 01:56 PM
OwenF is offline OwenF OP
Beginner grinner
Images within HTML page
Hi all, new to the forum. I hope this is in the right place and someone can help me.

I am trying to produce some small images (150 wide by 450 tall) for a html page , but my results are grainy and unsightly...nothing like the original images.

The way I am doing it is:

- create a 150x450 canvas (working in GIMP btw)
- open a jpg of approximately the right size (this is one of the custom image sizes saved from
smugmug's 'get link' feature. I have done this so I don't need to resize the image myself)
- copy the jpg onto my blank canvas and centre as necessary
- layer over some text
- save as jpg again

I have the feeling my poor image quality coming from the image file ultimately going from RAW > JPG > JPG, but I cant think of another way to achieve what I want.

FYI, this is the kind of look I am trying to get: http://www.nikhilshahi.com/galleries

Has anyone got any better methods for producing crisp looking images at these dimensions?

Many thanks,

Owen
Old Apr-12-2012, 02:13 PM
OwenF is offline OwenF OP
Beginner grinner
Help - loosing image quality
Quote:
Hi all, new to the forum. I hope this is in the right place and someone can help me. Accidently posted this in two places :(
Many thanks,

Owen

MOD EDIT: I merged two duplicate threads together to combine answers into one thread.

Last edited by David_S85; Apr-12-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Merging duplicate threads
Old Apr-12-2012, 03:14 PM
denisegoldberg is online now denisegoldberg
Major grins
I'm not surprised you are getting bad results from uploading tiny images. You should upload full-sized images in the aspect ratio that you want to use on your HTML-only page. You can then use custom sizes in smug to generate the size images you want on that page. Keep in mind that although custom sizes specify both height and width, your image will not be cropped. It will be a smaller version of the image that you uploaded, maintaining the aspect ratio of the uploaded image.

See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93264.

--- Denise

Musings & ramblings at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com, quick posts in google+
Old Apr-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Peano is offline Peano
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenF View Post
The way I am doing it is:

- create a 150x450 canvas (working in GIMP btw)
- open a jpg of approximately the right size (this is one of the custom image sizes saved from
smugmug's 'get link' feature. I have done this so I don't need to resize the image myself)
My approach would be to start with the raw file and ...

1. Edit according to your preferences (color, etc)
2. Crop to the output aspect ratio (1:3)
3. Downsize to the exact web size (450 px on the long side)
4. Add text

I would do all of this in the image editor. Don't let an online host resize your images.
Old Apr-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peano View Post
My approach would be to start with the raw file and ...

1. Edit according to your preferences (color, etc)
2. Crop to the output aspect ratio (1:3)
3. Downsize to the exact web size (450 px on the long side)
4. Add text

I would do all of this in the image editor. Don't let an online host resize your images.

+1 to not using images from online hosts. That kills IQ.