• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Pro Sales Support The Event Marketing Help Thread

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 11  of  11
« First 7 8 9 10 11
Old Feb-16-2012, 01:45 AM
rainforest1155 is offline rainforest1155
with a Heroes touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpaulette View Post
I love the fact that the little heart icon shows up in the main galleries (with all shots) - but whats the point of displaying the heart icon on top of image thumbnails inside of that person's "favorites" gallery?

Once they're viewing their favorites, they know that they're looking at the favorites, and don't need to be reminded/distracted with pages full of heart icons over their pics.

Any way to turn that off, once they're viewing the favorites?
Hi and welcome to Dgrin!

This sounds like a great idea. Would you mind adding that as a suggestion to our feedback pages?
http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug
That way other users can vote and comment on your suggestion, and it helps us to keep track of all suggestions made.
Thanks!

look on the bright side
http://www.SebastianHosche.com
Old Feb-16-2012, 01:53 AM
with a Heroes touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by botpix View Post
Now on to the problem... We've just finished a figure skating event containing 134 galleries, and over 35,000 images. I've got them broken down into 8 Events, one for each category of skating (Compulsory, Artistic, etc.) and was hoping that once registered, a client could add favorites from any of the events. This turns out not to be the case, well, at least not in simple testing.
Each event is separate and customers can only register on a per event basis and select their favorites for that event. I'm sorry, but it's not possible to treat multiple events as a combined one.
At this point in time no hierarchy is available within events and you can only add individual galleries to an event.
Maybe you could add your use case as a feature suggestion to our feedback pages?
Thanks!

look on the bright side
Old Feb-16-2012, 11:57 AM
botpix is offline botpix
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest1155 View Post
Each event is separate and customers can only register on a per event basis and select their favorites for that event. I'm sorry, but it's not possible to treat multiple events as a combined one.
At this point in time no hierarchy is available within events and you can only add individual galleries to an event.
Maybe you could add your use case as a feature suggestion to our feedback pages?
Thanks!
Well I ended up sacrificing hierarchy for Favorites and put everything in one gallery (manually sorted to try and alleviate some of the pain). Adding some additional layout controls and maybe just simple grouping, would be a terrific addition to the event marketing.

Another thing I noticed, is the event description is not capable of passing on any basic html coding like in the gallery description. Has anyone found a work around? I'd like to be able to just format the text at a minimum.

I'll put together a suggestion for the feedback page. Thanks.
Old Feb-19-2012, 01:24 AM
with a Heroes touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by botpix View Post
Another thing I noticed, is the event description is not capable of passing on any basic html coding like in the gallery description. Has anyone found a work around? I'd like to be able to just format the text at a minimum.
Sorry, it doesn't look like that's supported. Might be another thing you could add to the feedback page.

look on the bright side
Old Apr-17-2012, 06:54 AM
ShutterAddict is offline ShutterAddict
Big grins
Is it possible to receive notification when a client makes changes to their personal event page? For example - right now I have multiple events and participants but some of those participants have yet to choose any favorites. When they add to their gallery I would like to receive some kind of notification. What kind of notification is of less importance right now. This way I don't have to go through the process of drilling down to a specific event page every time I want to check their status. So far I cannot find any way to do this either as an option or as a hack. Please let me know if I have missed it.

Old Apr-18-2012, 12:29 AM
with a Heroes touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterAddict View Post
Is it possible to receive notification when a client makes changes to their personal event page? For example - right now I have multiple events and participants but some of those participants have yet to choose any favorites. When they add to their gallery I would like to receive some kind of notification. What kind of notification is of less importance right now. This way I don't have to go through the process of drilling down to a specific event page every time I want to check their status. So far I cannot find any way to do this either as an option or as a hack. Please let me know if I have missed it.
You don't have to drill down to each participant's event page to see if they have selected favorites. You can see that directly from your event page looking at the "participants and registered guests" section. It shows you how many favorites a person has selected and you can directly access their favorites gallery from there as well.

There is currently no notification option on that.

look on the bright side
Old Apr-18-2012, 06:18 AM
ShutterAddict is offline ShutterAddict
Big grins
Quote:
You don't have to drill down to each participant's event page to see if they have selected favorites. You can see that directly from your event page looking at the "participants and registered guests" section. It shows you how many favorites a person has selected and you can directly access their favorites gallery from there as well.

There is currently no notification option on that.
True enough. I do use that and should have worded my post better. That page would be ideal to use for notifications as it already tracks the changes.

Old Apr-19-2012, 12:31 AM
with a Heroes touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterAddict View Post
True enough. I do use that and should have worded my post better. That page would be ideal to use for notifications as it already tracks the changes.
You could add your suggestion to our feedback pages:
That way other users can vote and comment on your suggestion, and it helps us to keep track of all suggestions made. Thanks!

look on the bright side
Old Apr-25-2012, 11:09 PM
AperturePlus is offline AperturePlus
Major grins
It's a great feature SM. Well done.

I was playing with it this morning and one thing has me confused. I created a Test event, and I placed an existing gallery into it. I password protected the Event and invited myself (a different email address to my registered address) into the event.

Now that I went to delete the event from the CP, the event still shows up on my logged in HP. If I go back to manage events, none exist. How do I remove it from my HP, seeing that it doesn't exist anymore?

Another question... the participant's favourites gallery was created, as expected, but now that the event has been deleted, how do I delete the favourite gallery, without deleting the photographs in the gallery. When I select delete gallery (the participant's favourite gallery, that is) it says "delete gallery and all images". I presume that it doesn't delete the images from the gallery itself, but the links to them within the participants favourites?

As a matter of interest, why do the participants favourites show up in the gallery section of my HP? If I am running 5 events simultaneously with 5 participants in each event, from the homepage, it is going to be really confusing to figure who belongs to what event. Should the favourites not be placed (on the HP) in the event section itself, underneath the event? As an example, with 25 active participants in my example above, you could have three participants called Dave. If you wanted to go to one event to see what was being favourited in that event, you would first have to figure out which Dave was from that event, or am I missing something here?
Old Apr-26-2012, 02:54 AM
with a Heroes touch
Thanks for your detailed feedback.

1. Actually, I just tried this on my site and while I initially saw what you reported, the deleted event was removed from the "featured events" box after a while. You just have to give it some time to update, I think. If you still have an issue, email us at the HelpDesk:
http://help.smugmug.com/

2. Event favorites are not deleted when an event is deleted. That's a safety net so you can't accidentally delete your client's favorite selections.
An event favorite gallery is just a set of collected photos. The event feature doesn't add any physical photos to such galleries. So if you don't need the event favorite gallery anymore, you could just delete the gallery. Deleting a gallery just containing collected photos, won't delete the original photos. The warning on the delete gallery screen only applies to photos that you uploaded or moved into the gallery.

3. Event favorite galleries are automatically added to the "Event favorites" category. They are unlisted by default and that means logged out visitors to your site won't see them. Only you as the logged in account owner can see the Event favorites category.

If you don't want to, you don't have to access event favorites via your homepage. You could just go via the control panel > pros tab > events screen, pick the event you're interested in. Then you have direct access to the event favorites of each participant / registered guest.

look on the bright side

Last edited by rainforest1155; Apr-26-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: updated 1. with new info
Old Apr-26-2012, 08:45 AM
AperturePlus is offline AperturePlus
Major grins
Hi Sebastian. The Event has been on my HP for over 8 hours now, so I don't think that it's going anywhere!

Thanks also for the feedback on the favourite galleries. I just wanted to make sure before I deleted anything.

On your Point 3, mine appear on my HP in the gallery section. When you say "event favourites section" - all I see is my normal Gallery section on my HP, which has the event favourites in it. I also see a "Featured Events", which has my test event not going away.

It's a little confusing for the reasons mentioned earlier. Is this where they should be appearing, or do they go into a different section on the HP?
Old Apr-27-2012, 01:09 AM
with a Heroes touch
Please contact us at the HelpDesk or include a link to your site.

Event favorite galleries are just regular galleries showing on your site for you as the logged in account owner. That's normal, but since they're unlisted, visitors won't see them including the "event favorites" category.

look on the bright side
Old May-09-2012, 06:03 AM
rt2photo is offline rt2photo
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by liflander View Post
+1. c'mon smugmug. improve the marketing features! this is a basic function of any decent email program. i get email blasts from photoshelter photographers, and i imagine the sales i might get if smugmug had similar features.
it's killing me - I just did a trial of zenfolio, and it was night and day difference. If i wasn't already bought into SM for a period of time, I'd be tempted.
Old May-18-2012, 12:35 AM
bimmeracer is offline bimmeracer
Big grins
For some reason, once I upgraded to LR4 my clients event favorites no longer sync up with Lightroom.
Has this happened to anyone else?
anyone have a solution?
Canon Shooter and Prime Lens Lover
Old May-18-2012, 02:45 AM
with a Heroes touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmeracer View Post
For some reason, once I upgraded to LR4 my clients event favorites no longer sync up with Lightroom.
Has this happened to anyone else?
anyone have a solution?
Can you try the latest public beta of the plugin? If the issue persists, post directly on the beta thread with details.
Of course, just in case make a backup of your catalog.

look on the bright side
Old May-18-2012, 05:36 AM
smilenj is offline smilenj
Big grins
Just reading through this thread and saw that in march 2010 someone requested the ability to have more ratings then just a favorite. This might include photos for album, photos for video, photos to print etc. I had the same thought recently and created this suggestion thread here: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/1...s-and-clients-

If you like this feature please vote for it.
Old May-18-2012, 10:50 AM
bimmeracer is offline bimmeracer
Big grins
Quote:
Can you try the latest public beta of the plugin? If the issue persists, post directly on the beta thread with details.
Of course, just in case make a backup of your catalog.
Awesome!!! That worked
Canon Shooter and Prime Lens Lover
Page 11  of  11
« First 7 8 9 10 11
Tell The World!