||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Mini Challenge #141 -- Trick/Creative Photography
Welcome to Round #141 of the Dgrin Mini-Challenges!
Your challenge topic: TRICK/CREATIVE PHOTOGRAPHY (looking through the past mini-challenges, i don't believe this has been done before, so I hope you enjoy it!)
This challenge will run through Tuesday, May 8 at 7pm PDT (2 weeks). Be sure to check the guidelines following my sample shots below.
Your Judge: chrisdg (Chris Del Grande)
Greg, thank you very much for hosting the previous challenge. I am honored to win on my first ever challenge contribution!
TRICK/CREATIVE PHOTOGRAPHY will be defined here as any photograph that achieves some sort of unique, un-natural or surreal result using only single-shot creative lighting and/or in-camera techniques. This means zero post-processing that affects the actual content of the image. Acceptable post-processing functions are simple things like cropping, brightness, contrast, and other minor adjustments. No layers/composites, Photoshop filters, brushes, etc.
This can be a simple trick involving camera or subject movement, painting with light, creative flash use, or a complex trick - whatever it takes to make a compelling image. If possible, please explain a bit about your technique as well.
I'll provide a few samples below that I've taken, but I'm sure many you have other tricks up your sleeves. Let's see your in-camera creativity!
#1 "I'm So Transparent" - translucent self portrait achieved by standing still for a few seconds, then literally running out of the frame halfway through a long exposure.
#2 "Double Joey" - a similar technique. I had my son Joey sit very still for a few seconds, then jump from one position to the next halfway through the exposure, sitting very still for the second figure.
#3 "Motion Sickness" - Spinning the camera while the subject is motionless.
#4 "Trailer Sweet Trailer" - another self-portrait using a more subtle creative lighting technique. This is gelled off-camera flash inside the trailer to simulate the comforts of warm interior lighting inside "my home".
#5 "Paint by Auto" - Camera on tripod, my car idling off-camera-left, trigger my 10-second timer, run to the car, hop in, start driving in consecutively smaller and smaller circles over the course of a 30-second exposure, then killing the headlights and darting out of the frame. Lots of fun, but wishing I had someone to help me.
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post. (With mini challenges, any photo you have taken is eligible, regardless of the date created.)
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.
http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)
Last edited by chrisdg; Apr-26-2012 at 06:03 AM.
|Tell The World!|
|Similar Threads||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Mini Challenge #108 - Food or Drink||dlscott56||The Dgrin Challenges||65||Nov-03-2010 04:24 PM|
|Mini Challenge #106~ Animal Attitude||JAG||The Dgrin Challenges||51||Sep-30-2010 11:28 AM|
|Mini Challenge #105 -- A Post-Processing Challenge||ghinson||The Dgrin Challenges||67||Sep-20-2010 02:02 AM|
|Mini Challenge #103 - Two is a party, three is a crowd||korandoke||The Dgrin Challenges||42||Aug-28-2010 03:34 PM|
|Winners Of Mini Challenge #102: Medieval||Ray F||The Dgrin Challenges||5||Aug-27-2010 06:15 PM|