• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Other Cool Shots Stressed Texture

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-24-2012, 12:35 PM
DaddyO is offline DaddyO OP
Grins In Progress
Stressed Texture
I was reading in the new dgrin challange 101 for Texture. In the read JAG (Joyce) used the description word "stressed" in relation to pushing certain modifications of an image.
Think thats what she meant
What a great word she used to describe what can occur through the levels of various adjustments.
It is of course Perfect I thought radical and such worked fine but I think I'm going to go with stressed from now on Very refined.

From today, I just had to see how stressed I could get it and leave something remaining. Perhaps even worth looking at

Iced Rust

Flipped it over. Maybe better viewed this way. Unsure
Old Apr-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Fine work, Michael. My preference is for the second one. Maybe that's because I'm right handed, or am used to reading from left to right. Dunno. I think it would be interesting to hear the reasons other people have for preferring one to the other.
Old Apr-24-2012, 01:23 PM
black mamba is online now black mamba
Major grins
You're a bit of a mystery to me, Michael. You keep a low profile for a spell and then you burst out with some images that are really exceptional....such as these and your recent silhouette shot. Maybe that's the mark of a genius?

The word " stressed " works for me. The treatment of the rust here is terrific. I'll go with the second offering....I'm right-eared and the waves this image puts out, coming from that direction, play up to my strength.

Tom
Old Apr-24-2012, 01:41 PM
lensmole is offline lensmole
Major grins
The location of the black hole as something to do with it, I think, my eyes seem to exit the first one but in the second I stay in the image longer.
Old Apr-24-2012, 01:47 PM
torags is offline torags
Major grins
Very nice, are you a closet "Rustie"

good job
Old Apr-24-2012, 02:01 PM
black mamba is online now black mamba
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags View Post

good job
Yo Rags,

You have to get up to speed, brother. Old Michael is about as strong a RUST JUNKIE as there is. He sits at the number 1 table when we all get together.

Tom
Old Apr-24-2012, 02:54 PM
torags is offline torags
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
Yo Rags,

You have to get up to speed, brother. Old Michael is about as strong a RUST JUNKIE as there is. He sits at the number 1 table when we all get together.

Tom
Hehehe.... good on ya Michael
Old Apr-25-2012, 04:54 AM
redleash is online now redleash
Texas Grins
"Stressed" indeed--perfect word and perfect shot! I prefer the second one; for some reason, it seems to draw me into the shot while the first one seems to push me out. It is probably as Richard said, that I read left to right so that is the way my eye travels. Well done!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/redleashphoto
Old Apr-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Juano is online now Juano
Major grins
Interesting opinions. I like the first one because it goes up, the second one gives me a sense of vertigo. Just me.

www.mind-driftphoto.com
Old Apr-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Azzaro is offline Azzaro
Major grins
Really well done Michael........I like the second one the best..... I read and article awhile back and the author felt all pictures were read left to right and used that thought when he composed pictures....
Old Apr-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Grins In Progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Fine work, Michael. My preference is for the second one. Maybe that's because I'm right handed, or am used to reading from left to right. Dunno. I think it would be interesting to hear the reasons other people have for preferring one to the other.
Appreciate your comments Richard. Thanks once again Nice to have those preferences coming in for which orientation works for each and why. Great suggestion that. Think we will all get something out of it.
I know I will be lots more considerate of my preferences before I choose which orientation goes out as a final.
Old Apr-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Grins In Progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
You're a bit of a mystery to me, Michael. You keep a low profile for a spell and then you burst out with some images that are really exceptional....such as these and your recent silhouette shot. Maybe that's the mark of a genius?
Maybe its just strangeness good buddy You know ... odd duck stuff

But I can tell its mighty kind of ya ta say. Thank you Tom.

I gotta get out and let more air out of tires. Still just a little too firm on the road
Old Apr-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Grins In Progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmole View Post
The location of the black hole as something to do with it, I think, my eyes seem to exit the first one but in the second I stay in the image longer.
Thanks for letting us know how you see it best. Appreciate your input I see your point and can relate more and more
Old Apr-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Grins In Progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags View Post

good job
Thank you Rags
Am delighted you like the work.

To answer your question... Yes, I am rust junkie. Good stuff that A favorite subject. And here on dgrin, I am in good company with you all.
Old Apr-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Grins In Progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleash View Post
"Stressed" indeed--perfect word and perfect shot! I prefer the second one; for some reason, it seems to draw me into the shot while the first one seems to push me out. It is probably as Richard said, that I read left to right so that is the way my eye travels. Well done!

Lauren
It is a just a pefect word and thanks for saying about the shot. Appreciate that Lauren
Old Apr-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Grins In Progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juano View Post
Interesting opinions. I like the first one because it goes up, the second one gives me a sense of vertigo. Just me.
Agreed about the points each person brings to the table. Hear ya when it comes to that vertigo thing, but I am not getting ill this time. Usually I do. Here I get the sense of being above and looking down from way elevated without the unbearable sense of height. The first one gives me that I am looking into a tunnel and in the other it is above and emanating waves radiating out. Or is it the other way around
Illusions are strange things.
Old Apr-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Grins In Progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzaro View Post
Really well done Michael........I like the second one the best..... I read and article awhile back and the author felt all pictures were read left to right and used that thought when he composed pictures....
Very pleased you like this result and appreciate your sharing your thoughts. Always nice
Old Apr-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Dogdots is offline Dogdots
Major grins
Stressed .... interesting word used to push the limits on editing. Is that 'stressed in the person' or 'stressing the image'

The second photo is more calming for my eyes, but I like the 1st one more. To me in the first I'm heading up into a tunnel vs downwards in the 2nd photo.
Old Apr-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Grins In Progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdots View Post
Stressed .... interesting word used to push the limits on editing. Is that 'stressed in the person' or 'stressing the image'

The second photo is more calming for my eyes, but I like the 1st one more. To me in the first I'm heading up into a tunnel vs downwards in the 2nd photo.
I like that you thought of "stressed in the person" It is something to consider and like you I did too.

More calming? Really? Cool beans

Am very glad you would give either consideration and that you like it.