• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Sports Rolex 3 Day

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-25-2012, 09:14 AM
JSPhotography is offline JSPhotography OP
Major grins
Rolex 3 Day
Anybody going? I'm headed down for just the XC on Saturday. No credentials. Just want to get some shots for my portfolio and could use some intel.
Old Apr-26-2012, 07:46 AM
HoofClix is offline HoofClix
HoofSational!
I stopped going after 2003, I think, and won't be there this year. (Volunteered to help someone put a fence up and help fight carpenter bees..) If you see our very own Phyxius, say hi, or for that matter, Joan Davis of Flatlandsphoto, or Amy Dragoo, say hi, though I think they will be all covered up in yellow.. (Oops, looks like it's blue this year..)

Also be on the look out for my local favorite, Beth Perkins on Sal Dali, who has been doing this forever and has finally qualified to go to this year! And if you get close enough to Boyd Martin or Michael Pollard, tell them that Mark of HoofClix says hello.. Those two guys are the most approachable on the planet and will certainly have a true smile for you..

Last edited by HoofClix; Apr-26-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old Apr-26-2012, 07:47 AM
HoofSational!
And of course, PICS when you are done please!!!
Old Apr-26-2012, 08:05 AM
HoofSational!
Live leaderboard here:
http://scoring.rk3de.org/leaderBoard.html
Old Apr-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Major grins
Hey Mark, Do you think I should haul the 100-400 and mono? I would rather have gatorade and food in that spot in my bag. Just carry the 70-200 and 18 -55. My plan is to stay away from the lake. I think there is a through the bush jump with a big drop off on the back side that says Rolex, but I did not see it on the course map this morning. Maybe it is by the sunken road? My goal is just some portfolio shots that are immeadiatly recognizable as Rolex.
Old Apr-26-2012, 10:11 AM
HoofSational!
If you have a crop frame camera (D300s?) or Canon 7D, I don't see the need to bring 400mm along. I use a Sigma 120-300, but really, most of what you want to shoot, you can get nicely with that 70-200. I hear there will be rain, but I haven't checked.. If you go near the "Head of the Lake," there is to the side usually a really nice Trakener (big log with a ditch underneath) that you can still get pretty close to, and there are nice shots with horses way up and crowd below.. that 18-55 will be also nice for some good stuff.

Those keyhole jumps (through the bush) are a challenge to shoot, so get ahead of them, not to the side.

As per what I remember, you can get fairly close to the sunken road. angle so you can get all four elements of it..
Old May-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Major grins
Top 3
#1 William Fox-Pitt on Parklane Hawk

#2 Allison Springer on Arthur

#3 Boyd Martin on Otis Barbotiere
Old May-02-2012, 04:32 AM
HoofSational!
Nice shots! Told you that you could get close.. Really like the one of Allison Springer..
Old May-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Major grins
Thanks. I did end up using the 120-400, the reach was just a little long for the 70 - 200 for the log coming into the water. This was the first water series 5a/b, c, and d. The log coming down the bank into the water, the brush in the middle, up the bank and over the goose.
Tell The World!