Options

Legacy keyword functionality change

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited August 17, 2013 in Bug Reporting
New smugmug took away the ability to use the bulk keyword tool on a keyword gallery. Unfortunately it also took away that ability on legacy smugmug.

This is a critical function for maintaining quality keywords and me not pulling my hair out.

If you don't understand what this was or why it was important, let me give an example.

Let's say you notice that you have a keyword like "001" on 100 pictures on your site. You didn't mean to have that keyword and you want to make it go away. The old way was to go to yoursite.com/keyword/001, then tools -> captions and keywords. This would bring up the bulk caption/keyword tool for all photos tagged with 001. At the top set it to Remove 001 from all keywords, hit preview, and hit save. Done.

This functionality has been lost. There's no way to even attempt that with new smugmug. But in legacy, if you go to yoursite.com/keyword/001, then open the bulk caption/keyword tool, it now opens the tool to the gallery containing the photo you were looking at that had the keyword 001. It's no longer showing all the photos keyworded with 001. Removing keyword 001 only removes it from that one gallery. You would have to go through each photo individually.

Do smugmug employees keyword their photos using smugmug's built in tools? Are they ok with the way things work in new smugmug? I fully expect any bugs in legacy to be completely ignored at this point, so does smugmug have plans to make captions, keywords, and titles easier to manage in new smugmug, or is it as good as it will get?

Dave

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    This is outrageous, we need the bulk caption/keyword fixed for the keyword pages on legacy
    and added to NewSmug.

NewSmug, we need that function added on every gallery page and not go to organizer to find it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    This is outrageous, we need the bulk caption/keyword fixed for the keyword pages on legacy
    and added to NewSmug.

NewSmug, we need that function added on every gallery page and not go to organizer to find it.

It's these bizarre decisions that have always made me question whether smugmug employees actually use smugmug. Things like this might not be a big deal if you use smugmug as a portfolio site with your best 100 photos. But when you're uploading, captioning, and keywording (and now titling?) a couple hundred pictures or more a week, your needs are different. I don't think people like that were beta testers.

I use keywords to tag people in my pictures. See the problem with new smugmug?

Legacy:
    i-szvp6rs-M.jpg

New:
    i-x6jWLPg-M.jpg

Who designs this stuff??

Dave
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    pilotdave wrote: »
    New smugmug took away the ability to use the bulk keyword tool on a keyword gallery. Unfortunately it also took away that ability on legacy smugmug.

This is a critical function for maintaining quality keywords and me not pulling my hair out.

If you don't understand what this was or why it was important, let me give an example.

Let's say you notice that you have a keyword like "001" on 100 pictures on your site. You didn't mean to have that keyword and you want to make it go away. The old way was to go to yoursite.com/keyword/001, then tools -> captions and keywords. This would bring up the bulk caption/keyword tool for all photos tagged with 001. At the top set it to Remove 001 from all keywords, hit preview, and hit save. Done.

This functionality has been lost. There's no way to even attempt that with new smugmug. But in legacy, if you go to yoursite.com/keyword/001, then open the bulk caption/keyword tool, it now opens the tool to the gallery containing the photo you were looking at that had the keyword 001. It's no longer showing all the photos keyworded with 001. Removing keyword 001 only removes it from that one gallery. You would have to go through each photo individually.

Do smugmug employees keyword their photos using smugmug's built in tools? Are they ok with the way things work in new smugmug? I fully expect any bugs in legacy to be completely ignored at this point, so does smugmug have plans to make captions, keywords, and titles easier to manage in new smugmug, or is it as good as it will get?

Dave

FYI... A feature request has been logged to restore this functionality in New SM here:
    Restore Site-Wide Bulk Keyword/Caption Maintenance

And I haven't given up on getting the Legacy bug fixed:
    Caption/Keyword Tool via Keyword Gallery
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    A work around would be to create a smart gallery that sorts for just the undesired keyword and then use the bulk keyword tool to remove the undesired keyword from all photos.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    bump- this is a huge problem. Please address.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    ceasley wrote: »
    A work around would be to create a smart gallery that sorts for just the undesired keyword and then use the bulk keyword tool to remove the undesired keyword from all photos.

From the above-referenced feature request thread:
    J Allen wrote: »
    [SNIP]
    ...that would be a lot of work if you have a lot of different keywords you need to edit.
    BigRed wrote: »
    Yes, indeed! In addition to the workload, that workaround could also potentially create a lot of junk smart galleries over time. And would be slower due to smart galleries not always populating instantly.

Another advantage of the current (legacy) keyword-gallery-based functionality is that one can dynamically refine the image population by combining/removing related keywords before doing the keyword edits.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    ceasley wrote: »

This is a great workaround, and meets the need I had today for this capability. Thanks for posting it!!!clap.gif