Options

removing watermarks from homepage images[Implemented]

Comments

• Options
    aztek081aztek081 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    this wasent an issue in legecy mode and now its an issue, big feature lost.. makes site look like crap with all these watermarks on gallery page
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    aztek081 wrote: »
    this wasent an issue in legecy mode and now its an issue, big feature lost.. makes site look like crap with all these watermarks on gallery page

I know guys. We are working on investigating options. This is high on the radar.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Following

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  • Options
    BratspeedBratspeed Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2013
    Following
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Following.

This is one of the items that I am waiting on to unveil!
  • Options
    Heather RyanHeather Ryan Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    This is a huge feature loss for me as well. The logo stamped on the client's gallery pages looks terrible. There has to be a way to change this.
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Whenever an image is uploaded, smugmug automatically generates several copies of each image for different purposes, a thumbnail or any of several larger versions depending on how you plan to display it.

All they really have to do is add one more generated image - one that fits the new thumbnail size. And, of course, the programming that is necessary to show the new thumbnail size when appropriate.

That's it. A new thumbnail and some new code to access it. (and storage space to hold it)

Let's go....
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    While we work on this, as a reminder, you could create an unlisted gallery with unwatermarked photos that you use to display in the Multiple Photos content block. Make sure to change the Action on Click to none so they don't have access to the unwatermarked larger version. Yes, I know this is just a work around
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    If I can square crop a photo to at least 800px a side. Would it be enough to use in place of the grid image?
    What would be the minimum for the grid image to look half way decent?
    I could put these in an unlisted gallery but can they be featured and used on the grid?
    I'm using a square "Th" thumbnail featured now on legacy.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    If I can square crop a photo to at least 800px a side. Would it be enough to use in place of the grid image?
    What would be the minimum for the grid image to look half way decent?
    I could put these in an unlisted gallery but can they be featured and used on the grid?
    I'm using a square "Th" thumbnail featured now on legacy.

Heya Allen,

I don't think you would need to resize. If you make sure the click through action is off, no one can get to the original gallery, so you could use the original size.

Although if you are asking about making your own 1x1 crop, then I will find out what those dimensions are.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Heya Allen,

I don't think you would need to resize. If you make sure the click through action is off, no one can get to the original gallery, so you could use the original size.

Although if you are asking about making your own 1x1 crop, then I will find out what those dimensions are.
    I've done four and they worked pretty good.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Other/WebPage/Gallery-Featured-Images

I shoot birds and need a close crop of one to feature, going forward I can keep up with this. Too
    much work catching up on old ones. I'll probably only do the very rare ones in the past.

I downloaded photo, cropped and uploaded to that gallery. Then in gallery settings for feature I
    browsed to that gallery and picked it. Easy but slow. The smallest of the four was only 390k but
    it came out a medium and feature uses a small.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    lets keep this a priority
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    I also would like this and prefer for my images to go to their gallery rather than to a separate gallery set up for this page. To be honest, I'm not sure how this could be accomplished without affecting the photos in the galleries. I currently pull from photos with the keyword 'featured'. This is a very interesting challenge to solve. I understand the frustration here because I also don't like the look of the watermarks, but a solution can not be achieved as long as there is negativity. Lets see what ideas we can come up with instead.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    Steve Knight PhotoSteve Knight Photo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    Following. This one issue is preventing me from converting my Legacy account from the preview mode to the new SmugMug.
  • Options
    DKphotogDKphotog Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2013
    Following. This is a huge problem for my site because I have a very heavy watermark for my large images on the legacy site. The watermarks on the new site make the thumbnails un viewable. Not happy!
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2013
    For me, the new site is a HUGE improvement with regards to photo presentation and the relative ease in customizing the site's design. THANKS smugmug!

Unfortunately, I'm also frustrated with watermarks being applied to "thumbnails" everywhere on the site, not just on the homepage. The legacy design provided me the choice whether to watermark thumbnails or NOT. I realize the images shown in the "Collage Landscape" view are larger than the older thumbnail; however, to me, they're still a thumbnail and I don't want them watermarked as the presentation is just plan ugly.

As an example I have two galleries on this page, one with watermarked thumbnails and one without. The large images in both galleries are watermarked (desired behavior) and only one gallery correctly shows the thumbnails unmarked (desired behavior). Per smugmug help desk, the galleries were created in the middle of the feature being changed, which is the reason I'm seeing two different behaviors. Given this, it appears a solution is not just possible, but had been previously working on the site.

Clearly I can be added to the list wanting smugmug to bring back the functionality of letting the site owner decide whether to watermark thumbnails or not.
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    Not sure if I have a total handle on the problem, but my workaround for any folder or gallery image where I didn't want a watermark, was to create an unlisted gallery with the watermark option set to "No". I called the gallery "Thumbnails". Then I either made a copy of the image I wanted to use or uploaded an image to use and placed it in that gallery. In any case I made sure it didn't include a watermark.

Then I used the feature image setting to select the image I wanted to use. This workaround does not allow for random images, but I feel I have better control of folder/gallery/page featured images. I can even use an image that is not stored in the gallery or folder. Also It works great for pages that you create that don't contain selectable images like my Short Story pages.

Sorry for being long winded, couldn't figure a way to shorten the explanation.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    SunGlo wrote: »
    Not sure if I have a total handle on the problem, but my workaround for any folder or gallery image where I didn't want a watermark, was to create an unlisted gallery with the watermark option set to "No". I called the gallery "Thumbnails". Then I either made a copy of the image I wanted to use or uploaded an image to use and placed it in that gallery. In any case I made sure it didn't include a watermark.

Then I used the feature image setting to select the image I wanted to use. This workaround does not allow for random images, but I feel I have better control of folder/gallery/page featured images. I can even use an image that is not stored in the gallery or folder. Also It works great for pages that you create that don't contain selectable images like my Short Story pages.

Sorry for being long winded, couldn't figure a way to shorten the explanation.

Phil
    I've done the same thing. Be sure to put in the caption of each what gallery it belongs to. Could be
    useful in the future.
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    Allen wrote: »
    I've done the same thing. Be sure to put in the caption of each what gallery it belongs to. Could be
    useful in the future.

I've even used the same image for a folder, a gallery, and a Short Story page. It takes some effort to do the initial setup, but to me it was worth it in the long run. I'm still working on changing out the remaining watermarked feature images...no rest for the weary.

Good idea about the caption, didn't think about that part.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2013
    Can anyone verify what this issue has been seen by smug mug and is being addressed?
    Yes there is a work around but not a solution
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2013
    aztek081 wrote: »
    Can anyone verify what this issue has been seen by smug mug and is being addressed?
    Yes there is a work around but not a solution
    I opened a case via email some weeks ago; it was recognized as a bug (because only images larger than 801px should get watermarked) and I also was told that it would be handled over to their developer dep.
    But I am pretty sure there will be no feedback (directly to me via email or in here), when they solved it.

EDIT
    Sorry, I mixed that up with another one.
    They took it as a "feature request". Mea culpa.
  • Options
    jrsjrs Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2013
    Following also. This was the first thing that I noticed when I was setting up my wife's trial
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    Smugmug: It would be nice to have an update on this "issue"
  • Options
    byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »

Voted.

For now I also have an unlisted gallery with no watermark that is non clickable. Would be nice to have the image click to its respective gallery.
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Sin City StanSin City Stan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2013
    Did this topic die or get moved again. Is there a way to eliminate watermarks on the HP?
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    Did this topic die or get moved again. Is there a way to eliminate watermarks on the HP?

I hope it's still on the radar ... it makes the home page look dumb. (not the look I think smugmug was hoping for)
  • Options
    CarosuCarosu Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2013
    I just upgraded to Portfolio and I noticed this problem with watermarks on thumbnails. So voted and Following!

Edit: Btw I a bit confused.. There is a option when you upload your watermark to have them not to Apply to Thumbs? It isent working or does it just work in smugmug gallery?
  • Options
    nine22nine22 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2013
    I'm a bit confused on this... I have a simple work around that i've used and don't see where the issue is.

I simply have a gallery that is unlisted titled "homepage" or something, and thats where my photos go into that I want to display on my homepage, no watermark took very little time to set up via organizer...

my photos are not "clickable" on my homepage, is that the reasoning behind not wanting to so a seperate gallery?
    nine22.smugmug.com
  • Options
    byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2013
    I also have an unlisted non-clickable gallery in order to have a non-watermarked set of images on my homepage.

This shouldn't have to be. I'd rather be able to have viewers click through to a respective gallery straight from the homepage.

Also, not sure if having a non-clickable homepage has any negative effect on SEO.
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/