Allow user input for Gallery date, Add as sort option in Gallery Block

ShemmersShemmers Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited August 12, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I and others still have no way to organize galleries in the Galleries Block as we see fit. Using 'recent galleries' as a sorting option can be nice, but any change to an otherwise old gallery places it up at the top. No control is sucks. The loss of 'arrange galleries' from legacy is a sad loss indeed. The new file structure would be difficult to maintain while still providing a way to order galleries for the gallery block. A simple workaround which does not touch the folder structure is to sort by a user inputted date for the gallery. I don't know if the paying pro's have the ability to add dates to an event, but it could work similarly. The Gallery block could then be sorted by this date and all would be well. Perhaps you could also add a way to sort between two dates.

Adding dates to galleries makes sense even without this sorting ability.

Comments

• rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Shemmers wrote: »
    I and others still have no way to organize galleries in the Galleries Block as we see fit. Using 'recent galleries' as a sorting option can be nice, but any change to an otherwise old gallery places it up at the top. No control is sucks. The loss of 'arrange galleries' from legacy is a sad loss indeed. The new file structure would be difficult to maintain while still providing a way to order galleries for the gallery block. A simple workaround which does not touch the folder structure is to sort by a user inputted date for the gallery. I don't know if the paying pro's have the ability to add dates to an event, but it could work similarly. The Gallery block could then be sorted by this date and all would be well. Perhaps you could also add a way to sort between two dates.

Adding dates to galleries makes sense even without this sorting ability.

Not sure if this addresses your issue but try organizing the galleries with the organize menu. The organize menu will bring up a hierarchy folder view. Highlight the desired folder and you can then manually drag the galleries in that folder to the desired order or select one of the auto options.

I find the new sort options more powerful than the legacy version.

Paul
    http://paultavares.smugmug.com/
  • ShemmersShemmers Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Not sure if this addresses your issue but try organizing the galleries with the organize menu. The organize menu will bring up a hierarchy folder view. Highlight the desired folder and you can then manually drag the galleries in that folder to the desired order or select one of the auto options.

I find the new sort options more powerful than the legacy version.

Paul
    http://paultavares.smugmug.com/

Hi Paul,
    I agree with you that the sorting options are better. The file organizer is excellent. However, the limitation is that you can't tell a gallery in a lower down folder to be in front of any gallery in a higher folder. This means that in order to be manually ordered, all the galleries have to be in the same folder which entirely defeats the purpose of folders. By being able to add dates to galleries, at least we could have way to smart filter our galleries into the order we want (without 'manually' having to order them). Many keep their galleries in chronological order which is the easiest way to keep people up to date with what you've been doing recently and to share those photos from the top of the page where it is easily found.
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
  • martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    yep, i would like this too!
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Shemmers wrote: »
    Hi Paul,
    I agree with you that the sorting options are better. The file organizer is excellent. However, the limitation is that you can't tell a gallery in a lower down folder to be in front of any gallery in a higher folder. This means that in order to be manually ordered, all the galleries have to be in the same folder which entirely defeats the purpose of folders. By being able to add dates to galleries, at least we could have way to smart filter our galleries into the order we want (without 'manually' having to order them). Many keep their galleries in chronological order which is the easiest way to keep people up to date with what you've been doing recently and to share those photos from the top of the page where it is easily found.

Is the use case for this setting up a "Galleries" block that contains galleries from multiple folders? So therefore, a "Sort By" option in the block would work?
    edited August 24, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Is the use case for this setting up a "Galleries" block that contains galleries from multiple folders? So therefore, a "Sort By" option in the block would work?

even just for a standard folder of galleries. I'd prefer to be able to set a date on a gallery and not worry about the order, rather than sort manually. Also means if I do use any other kind of multiple gallery thing they will always be in the order I want
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    even just for a standard folder of galleries. I'd prefer to be able to set a date on a gallery and not worry about the order, rather than sort manually. Also means if I do use any other kind of multiple gallery thing they will always be in the order I want

I'm interested in this feature as well. I know I can sort manually, but it would be nice to have a folder setting that says to sort by gallery date, and have that gallery date be one I enter (not the date the gallery was created).
    edited August 24, 2013

So ideally, just putting a "Gallery Date" option in the Gallery Settings would be what you are looking for?
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    So ideally, just putting a "Gallery Date" option in the Gallery Settings would be what you are looking for?

Yes on that...I think two things are needed: 1) a "Gallery Date" I can set in Gallery Settings, and 2) the ability to auto-sort a folder by Gallery Date.

That way as I add new galleries to a folder I don't have to remember to go adjust the sort, I just have to enter the date when I'm setting up the other gallery settings.
    edited August 25, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    Yes on that...I think two things are needed: 1) a "Gallery Date" I can set in Gallery Settings, and 2) the ability to auto-sort a folder by Gallery Date.

That way as I add new galleries to a folder I don't have to remember to go adjust the sort, I just have to enter the date when I'm setting up the other gallery settings.

Great! Thanks for the info. I have submitted this request.
  • ShemmersShemmers Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    This is exactly what I am looking for. I think it also makes sense from a metadata point of view to have accurate dates for our galleries (as would be for events), ie, it doesn't seem like a waste of time to go back and add dates to my older galleries as it is useful information anyway. Perhaps later, some options for displaying the date would be good. I realize some galleries will encompass multiple days and it is hard to conceptualize how to incorporate this into the site. I usually use the first day of a multi-day event to avoid this issue and this works fine for me. Thanks your help.
    edited August 7, 2014
    Closing as it is possible to sort galleries by date in the galleries content block.
    edited August 8, 2014
    That's not what this thread asked for - it asked to be able to override the date of a gallery manually rather than it be automatic - is that now possible?
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    That's not what this thread asked for - it asked to be able to override the date of a gallery manually rather than it be automatic - is that now possible?
    The gallery date is still determined automatically by the last time you make a change to it. However, the suggestion on the feedback page is still open and if you'd like to see that added in a future, you can add your vote / comment to it. That'll help us to keep track of all suggestions made.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero