The Dark Sky: Astrophotography

Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited March 2, 2014 in Landscapes
I spent 8 months in Africa last year and was able to get out under the night skies a few times. Here are some favourites...

20130516-Sleeping-Under-Galaxies-XL.jpg
Sleeping Under Galaxies
Before arriving in Zambia I had envisioned a photo similar to this one so when I found this village I was rather excited. For this photo I had to get my camera as low as possible to avoid including my shadow in the photo as the setting moon (about 20% I think) was directly behind me. This is a blend of two exposures - one for the foreground and one for the sky.
Nikon D600 & Samyang 14mm — 30 sec @ f/2.8 and ISO 4000 // 93 sec @ f/2.8 and ISO 1000

20130701-Zambezi-Panorama-XL.jpg
Zambezi Panorama
This is my first Milky Way panorama attempt. Stitched from 9 vertical frames taken with my Samyang 14mm. In the foreground, the Zambezi River is rushing past on it's way eastward. I could hear the hippos grunting loudly almost constantly as I stood out there under the stars.
Nikon D600 & Samyang 14mm — 9x 30 sec @ f/2.8 and ISO 3200

20130701-Circles-in-the-Sky-XL.jpg
Circles in the Sky
On the way back to my campsite from shooting the above photo I thought I'd try for a longer exposure. This is a 15 minute exposure to capture the movement of the stars.
Nikon D600 & Samyang 14mm — 904 sec @ f/2.8 and ISO 1600
Karl Lindsay
Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Induro CT-014 Tripod
karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    These are beautiful. What country(ies?) were you in?
    Chris
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    they are all great but the last is killer - at least I think so. Would like to know if there is a story behind these... Might you share your exif? iloveyou.gif
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    Mind blowing! Did you use light painting?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,231 moderator
    edited January 26, 2014
    Phenomenal shots.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 26, 2014
    Terrific shots, Karl. #2 is my favorite followed closely by #1. thumb.gif
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    These are beautiful. What country(ies?) were you in?

Thank you Chris. These are all from Zambia.
    Eia wrote: »
    they are all great but the last is killer - at least I think so. Would like to know if there is a story behind these... Might you share your exif? iloveyou.gif

Thanks Eia. I've added the stories and exif to the original post now.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Mind blowing! Did you use light painting?

Thanks Stumble bum! No light painting at all. The first one is lit by the setting moon and the last two are by the stars only as the moon wasn't out. I've added the exif to the main post now.
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Phenomenal shots.

Thanks David!
    kdog wrote: »
    Terrific shots, Karl. #2 is my favorite followed closely by #1. thumb.gif

Thanks kdog. Those are my favourites too!
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • bnickesonbnickeson Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    Phenomenal stuff man! Big fan of the first and second ones. The dark skies out there have to be a dream to photograph.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,930 moderator
    edited January 26, 2014
    Some very nice dark sky shots! Especially 1st and last.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited January 27, 2014
    Thanks for sharing the exposure setting!!bowdown.gif

Did you have to make multiple layer masks and such to process these?
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2014
    Killer shots! Wow!
    edited January 27, 2014
    bnickeson wrote: »
    Phenomenal stuff man! Big fan of the first and second ones. The dark skies out there have to be a dream to photograph.
    ian408 wrote: »
    Some very nice dark sky shots! Especially 1st and last.
    Killer shots! Wow!

Thanks everyone. It seems everyone has different preferences, which is great!
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing the exposure setting!!bowdown.gif

Did you have to make multiple layer masks and such to process these?

No worries.. Yes I did. I used a few luminance masks with curves adjustments to various areas of the photos.

Here is the non-pano version of the Zambezi River...

20130630-Zambezi-Skies-XL.jpg
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    edited January 27, 2014
    Last one might be my favorite! It is more than just galaxy! Its a wallhanger!
  • photobikerphotobiker Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    I really enjoy shooting night photography and I love those photos. I do appreciate you sharing your exposure data. Every situation is different but the more information you have at hand the better the chances of getting a great photo. I have to go somewhere to get away from the lights. Heading to Big Bend in a few week. Been practicing and taking lots of notes with the various lenses. Though I might give the time lapse thing a try.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    Oh boy, this is indeed magical! Love them . I also love astrophotography, but my work is nowhere in the same league as yours!
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited March 2, 2014
    These are all amazing shots. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing them and for sharing the exif data as well.

Came back to add: Just checked out your fb page and blog - partly to look for photos of wildlife in Africa. Lots of great captures of the best kind.

Along the way, I saw that you've included some of these night shots are in your 2014 calendar.

Thanks for sharing what you've seen in your travels.
    edited March 2, 2014
    tsk1979 wrote: »
    Oh boy, this is indeed magical! Love them . I also love astrophotography, but my work is nowhere in the same league as yours!
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    These are all amazing shots. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing them and for sharing the exif data as well.

Came back to add: Just checked out your fb page and blog - partly to look for photos of wildlife in Africa. Lots of great captures of the best kind.

Along the way, I saw that you've included some of these night shots are in your 2014 calendar.

Thanks for sharing what you've seen in your travels.

Thanks for all your comments everyone. Yes, I did have one or two of these in the calendar.. I'll be putting more of them that I take this year in my 2015 calendar when it comes time too :)
    photobiker wrote: »
    I really enjoy shooting night photography and I love those photos. I do appreciate you sharing your exposure data. Every situation is different but the more information you have at hand the better the chances of getting a great photo. I have to go somewhere to get away from the lights. Heading to Big Bend in a few week. Been practicing and taking lots of notes with the various lenses. Though I might give the time lapse thing a try.

All the best with your expedition! I have a few tips to share on my blog if you're interested in learning more...
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod