Options

Dgrin Shootout 2006: Ansel Adams at Bellagio

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited May 17, 2006 in The Big Picture
There is an exhibit at the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art that is featuring nearly 50 Ansel Adams classic images and rarely seen archival material that includes letters, personal photographs, and the early camera Adams used to create his legendary photographs. The shootout is a great time to see this since a lot of us will be in Vegas. I would like to use this thread to organize people who would like to go to this exhibit.

Admission is $15 for adults and $12 for seniors(65+) and students.
It is open from 9AM-10PM and last ticket sales are at 9:30PM.

UPDATE
We will be meeting at the Conservatory at the Bellagio at 4PM. There is a PDF map here. We will go to the exhibit first and then go to eat afterwards. I will be wearing the red smugmug baseball hat so you can find me. If you have any questions or would like my cell phone number please post here or you can PM me. I leave for Vegas Tuesday at 6AM so I will be checking this thread until then.

Just a reminder from the Bellagio web site:
Bellagio wrote:
Food, drinks, videotaping, and photography of any kind, are not permitted in the Gallery.
So don't bring your camera with you becuae they may not let you bring it into the exhibit.

Definitely going
Nick (gluwater)
Bob Bell
Dean (cwphotos)
Jeremy (digital_gopher) and brother Lars

Might go
Ann McRae
Virginia (Flyinggina)
Maxine (Skippy)
:scratch Mike Lane :flush:bad
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    There is an exhibit at the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art that is featuring nearly 50 Ansel Adams classic images and rarely seen archival material that includes letters, personal photographs, and the early camera Adams used to create his legendary photographs. The shootout is a great time to see this since a lot of us will be in Vegas. I would like to use this thread to organize people who would like to go to this exhibit. It seems like people are arriving at different times throughout the day on the 16th so if you would like to meet other dgrinners there post in this thread when you will be available to go to the exhibit. Maybe we could go and see it and then afterwards go to the Bellagio buffet for dinner and to get to know each other.

Admission is $15 for adults and $12 for seniors(65+) and students.
    It is open from 9AM-10PM and last ticket sales are at 9:30PM.

Post in this thread when you are available to go to the exhibit and I will update this first post with who will be there and when. All times are for the 16th.

Nick (gluwater) Anytime after 11AM.

I land at noon so I guess anytime after 1pm.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    I'll be getting in early to mid-afternoon on the 16th I think. Maybe a tour of the gallery followed by a bellagio buffet mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'll be getting in early to mid-afternoon on the 16th I think. Maybe a tour of the gallery followed by a bellagio buffet mwink.gif

Exactly what I was thinking.wave.gifbeer.gif
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I'll be there way early! I leave tomorrow at 6 a.m. Any chance of picking a meeting time today? Will be at the Bellagio - moving to the Luxor for ON Tuesday. If you cannot announce a meeting time, could someone leave a message at the Bellagio - room will be reserved under the name Burd.

Thanks
    ann
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    What does everyone think of 4PM? Everyone that has replied here will be there already and then we could go to the Bellagio buffet for dinner and cocktails afterwards. Ann, if we don't decide on a time today then I will leave a message for you at the Luxor front desk. I can also PM you my cell number if you'd like.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Im game. I come it at a cool 9am so im ready whenever the rest of you are !!! :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    What does everyone think of 4PM? Everyone that has replied here will be there already and then we could go to the Bellagio buffet for dinner and cocktails afterwards. Ann, if we don't decide on a time today then I will leave a message for you at the Luxor front desk. I can also PM you my cell number if you'd like.

Thats fine with me. I'll send you a Pm with my cell.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Thats fine with me. I'll send you a Pm with my cell.

Back at ya
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    When you go to the exhibit, check out the darker parts of the prints. See how dark they are? See how much actual black he has in them? How hard some detail is to see in some of them?

When you leave, you will be herded into the gift store. Open up some of the books on Adams. Look at their prints. See how presumably well-intentioned editors have opened up the dark parts, showing more detail?

I was surprised at the Adams prints themselves, and then got a second surprise when I looked at the books. Makes you realize you cannot trust books to give you a totally accurate rendition of a photograph.

It makes me think back to the issue Rutt raised with the Weegee books. Sure would like to see how Weegee would have printed his stuff.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    List up top updated.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Nick,

I think that Skippy (Maxine) and I will want to join you for the Ansel Adams exhibit and buffet, but she is already on the road so I won't know until I meet up with her in Vegas on Sunday. We'll let Ann know if we are coming.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    I'll be there at 1600:D Where exactly are we meeting? At the exhbit or somewhere else?

• Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'll be there at 1600:D Where exactly are we meeting? At the exhbit or somewhere else?

How about by the botanical gardens inside Bellagio at 1600? It will probably be less busy than the rest of the areas around the lobby.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    How about by the botanical gardens inside Bellagio at 1600? It will probably be less busy than the rest of the areas around the lobby.
    Where is the botanical garden? Here is a link to a map of the Bellagio (it is a PDF so you must have Acrobat to view it). I don't see it on the map. I just figured the main lobby would be the easiest place for people to find. But it may be harder to find everyone there so the botanical garden is fine as long as you can tell us where it is. Oh, just a reminder that no photography is allowed in the Gallery of Fine Art, so don't bring your camera unless you have a bag to put it in, because they may not let you bring it in.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Nick,

I think that Skippy (Maxine) and I will want to join you for the Ansel Adams exhibit and buffet, but she is already on the road so I won't know until I meet up with her in Vegas on Sunday. We'll let Ann know if we are coming.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Virginia

Hopefully we'll see you and Maxine there Virginia.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    When you go to the exhibit, check out the darker parts of the prints. See how dark they are? See how much actual black he has in them? How hard some detail is to see in some of them?

When you leave, you will be herded into the gift store. Open up some of the books on Adams. Look at their prints. See how presumably well-intentioned editors have opened up the dark parts, showing more detail?

I was surprised at the Adams prints themselves, and then got a second surprise when I looked at the books. Makes you realize you cannot trust books to give you a totally accurate rendition of a photograph.

It makes me think back to the issue Rutt raised with the Weegee books. Sure would like to see how Weegee would have printed his stuff.

Thanks for the info Sid, very interesting.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    First post in this thread updated with meeting time, location still to be determined.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Where is the botanical garden? Here is a link to a map of the Bellagio (it is a PDF so you must have Acrobat to view it). I don't see it on the map. I just figured the main lobby would be the easiest place for people to find. But it may be harder to find everyone there so the botanical garden is fine as long as you can tell us where it is. Oh, just a reminder that no photography is allowed in the Gallery of Fine Art, so don't bring your camera unless you have a bag to put it in, because they may not let you bring it in.
    Its where the conservatory is on that PDF.

Here is the link on their website:

http://www.bellagio.com/pages/attrac_highgardens.asp hopefully it works.

When you are in the main lobby you just walk towards the back, away from the doors.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    That sounds good to me Bob. So 4PM at the Conservatory it is. Can't wait to meet everyone there.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    digital_gopherdigital_gopher Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    My brother Lars and I will be there at 4 pm tomorrow.

Jeremy
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006

Jeremy

clap.gif Can't wait to meet you and your brother!
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    I used my mod powers for good and moved my name to the might go column. I may fart around an take pics in vegas instead. Besides, I don't want to find myself trying to imitate Ansel Adams during the trip (as if it would even be possible).

• Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I used my mod powers for good and moved my name to the might go column. I may fart around an take pics in vegas instead. Besides, I don't want to find myself trying to imitate Ansel Adams during the trip (as if it would even be possible).

Mike join us. I have seen some of his work and a documentary on the hundreds of pounds of gear he brought in on mules. I don't think we can replicate him.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

Well if you don't go to the exhibit then at least meet us for dinner 10944573-Ti.gif and drinks :slurp thumb.gif
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006

Jeremy

See ya there Jeremy and Lars.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Nice exhibit, beautiful photos. Though the audio tour was AWFUL. Endless blabbing that was RARELY about the associated photos, and only served to distract.

My fave though was the IR filter from the shot 4000 up the side of Half Dome.