Options

Light Metering For Studio

scottphotographyscottphotography Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited August 21, 2008 in Technique
I don't have a light meter so I was wondering if I could use my DSLR to meter each strobe light in my new studio in order to get the correct f-stop setting in the camera?

Also, on the strobe lights, 1 w/umbrella & 1 w/softbox, I need some help w/how to read the numbers on the lights w/regard to f-stop on the camera. i.e. if the strobe reads 4.0 how does that equate to f-stop on the camera?

Thank you.
Scott

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I don't have a light meter so I was wondering if I could use my DSLR to meter each strobe light in my new studio in order to get the correct f-stop setting in the camera?

Also, on the strobe lights, 1 w/umbrella & 1 w/softbox, I need some help w/how to read the numbers on the lights w/regard to f-stop on the camera. i.e. if the strobe reads 4.0 how does that equate to f-stop on the camera?

Thank you.

You can do a bunch of test shots and read histogram ofr every new set up you do.....or you could buy a flash and ambient meter and be done with firing the flashes 1 time.......for multi flash you really need a meter...doesn't have to a fancy one....something like these on ebay..........this one tool can save you countless headaches.....I only took a real quick look over the linked page and all I saw will measure flash and also ambient light and by leaving the white dome attached the ambient and flash are metered in incident mode and not reflected.....incident is a whole lot more accurate any whoooo.....
    hth.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008

Thank you.

At least with my camera, the answer to that is no. The strobe metering system expects to adjust the strobe power and there is no way after the fact to figure out what power it used.

The best way to judge strobe metering with your camera is with the histogram. I hang a white cloth where the subect will be and I adjust the aperture, ISO and strobe power to push the white up near the right edge of the histogram. With a little practice this becomes quick and only requires one test.