Thanks for Viewing,
Gary
My snaps can be found here:
Unsharp at any Speed

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2014
    Nice set! Love the sincere expressions, light and shadows play, colors! Very cool!
    #1 is favorite!!
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    Nice, all are good, but I really like #1!
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice set! Love the sincere expressions, light and shadows play, colors! Very cool!
    #1 is favorite!!

Thanks. Got lucky on #1.

_GP16552-X3.jpg

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice, all are good, but I really like #1!

Thanks. That's two for #1.

_GA11062.jpg

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Wow! Whatever instrument that lady is playing in b&w, what a wonderful shot! Dude, that ain't no luck! You got this down! The pose and comp are both joyous to me....because I can sense the passion, dedication, and how they are consumed in the moment! clap.gifivar

How did you get these POVs? Back stage pass? Balcony? Excellent m8!

Minutest of edits....may not even be needed....but right behind the lady on top right...some stuff on the edge is drawing attention....easy to get rid of. Cheers!
  • Options
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Thanks. That's two for #1.

_GA11062.jpg

Gary

this is a wonderful shot... the light, hi expression, pure passion. Life worth living. clap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    Really like the photos. Must have been great for the students to see your work thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Wow! Whatever instrument that lady is playing in b&w, what a wonderful shot! Dude, that ain't no luck! You got this down! The pose and comp are both joyous to me....because I can sense the passion, dedication, and how they are consumed in the moment! clap.gifivar

How did you get these POVs? Back stage pass? Balcony? Excellent m8!

Minutest of edits....may not even be needed....but right behind the lady on top right...some stuff on the edge is drawing attention....easy to get rid of. Cheers!

Thank you for the kind words. That is a Guzheng, a traditional Chinese instrument. Thanks for the tip on the right side. I had missed those little distractions. That shot was with an 8mm Fish. I shoot the dress rehearsals for the drama teacher. She lets me on stage. She thinks that the intrusiveness by me getting my lenses in the students faces helps them be less nervous on game day. I get good POV's and she gets good images.

Another of the Guzheng:

_GA10924.jpg

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    this is a wonderful shot... the light, hi expression, pure passion. Life worth living. clap.gif

Thank you Cristóbal. I like Gestalt for many of my images. It lets you fill in the blanks.

Gary

_GE21512.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    ian408 wrote: »
    Really like the photos. Must have been great for the students to see your work thumb.gif

Thanks Ian.

About Whitney ... WHS is a small school, about 160 to 175 students per class/level. Whitney is the #1 public high school in California per testing. The kids are great and exceptional. The moment I inform the kids that the images are posted on my web site, the hits just soar for a couple of days. The images are all over facebook.

Gary

_GE21796.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Really a nice series Gary.

#1 Favorite for me too.
    Nice job in that light.
    Solid comp.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Really a nice series Gary.

#1 Favorite for me too.
    Nice job in that light.
    Solid comp.

Thanks rwells. Thats three for #1.

Gary

_GA11026.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Me-4 on #1.

Performing artists (especially musicians) experience an effect known colloquially as, "the flow".... you've captured it well in several of these.
    Thus, #3 and the color close-up of the Guzheng artist are nice and "flow-y" also!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    Earache wrote: »
    Me-4 on #1.

Performing artists (especially musicians) experience an effect known colloquially as, "the flow".... you've captured it well in several of these.
    Thus, #3 and the color close-up of the Guzheng artist are nice and "flow-y" also!

Thank you Eric. Is The Flo like getting into The Zone as an athletic? I had a very hard time with the violinist. The music was sweet but he was completely stoic ... no emotions at all, his body was one solid piece of unbending metal. So I decided I had to manufacture all the drama optically ... this is what I captured:

Gary

A)
    _GA11066.jpg
    200mm

B)
    _GE21292.jpg
    12mm

C)
    _GP16595.jpg
    8mm (fish)

D)
    _GP16581.jpg
    8mm (fish)
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Earache wrote: »
    Me-4 on #1.

I like that characterization.....'Flow'! Which is what I tried to describe in many more words.....passion, dedication, pose, consumed by the moment = Flow!

Cheers!
  • Options
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Thanks rwells. Thats three for #1.

Gary

_GA11026.jpg

Gary, I am only blabbering because I love these shots! I know why this was framed the way it was....the reflection is part of the deal....maybe on brighter monitor it would be more prominent. However, it is not distinct enough with nothing that helps the shot....so the lady appear unbalanced towards the top.....so if it was cropped, maybe reframing would help it more! Or brighten the reflection a tad.

Cheers m8!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    You should be proud of this body of work, Gary. Wonderful stuff. You hand me the same opportunity for this shoot and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    I think you succeeded in creating the drama in camera. Well done.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    I like that characterization.....'Flow'! Which is what I tried to describe in many more words.....passion, dedication, pose, consumed by the moment = Flow!

Cheers!
    Yup, all those things Taz plus (in my experience as a musician), a hard to describe, almost out-of-body sensation where you are not necessarily conscious of your intentions or movement.
    It's very Zen-like... or then again, maybe it's because it was the decade of the 1970's... friday.gifylsuper.gif :crazy

lol3.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    Gary, I am only blabbering because I love these shots! I know why this was framed the way it was....the reflection is part of the deal....maybe on brighter monitor it would be more prominent. However, it is not distinct enough with nothing that helps the shot....so the lady appear unbalanced towards the top.....so if it was cropped, maybe reframing would help it more! Or brighten the reflection a tad.

Cheers m8!

I'n note completely satisfied with this shot ... better yet ... let's say I am more dissatisfied with this shot than others. Maybe a square crop ... maybe brighter reflection (definitely more reflection) ... maybe both. I think this shot has potential ... not quite sure how to get there. I probably captured it wrong ... wrong place, wrong time, wrong lens thing. I'll think about it some more. Thanks for the feedback.

Gary

_GE21277.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    You should be proud of this body of work, Gary. Wonderful stuff. You hand me the same opportunity for this shoot and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Tom

Thank you Tom. You'd know where to begin. You start by bringing the camera up to your eye and you release the shutter ... pretty soon it become semi-automatic ... you get into the flow. :<)

Gary

_GE20741.jpg

I like your handle ... you and Kobe.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    I think you succeeded in creating the drama in camera. Well done.

Thank you Cristóbal. Optical drama is a big thing with me. It justifies more gear.

_GA10993.jpg

Gary

(running out of images ... lol)
    Unsharp at any Speed