River Bottom Art

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited September 27, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Well, you didn't think I'd jump in that river and leave with just one shot, did you?

Yellowstone%201%20127-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2014
    Nice.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Very nice! Interesting subject as bed usually doesn't get featured but here is jumps out!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    I love nature abstracts and if one looks for them they are everywhere.

Sam
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    Nice capture Tom, I would try increasing vibrance and contrast a bit.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Well Pard,

Those are certainly nice colors, but I think the perspective would have been better about 6' lower.

BTW, I know how tall you are :-)
    Randy
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    Nicely seen painterly image. I disagree with my friend Cristóbal about color and contrast--I think they're fine as is. But I would experiment with the crop some. If you draw a diagonal from top left to bottom right, most of the "action" is in the upper right part, while the lower left part is a little dull by comparison. I would try to reduce the size of that part a bit.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Nice.

I appreciate the visit, Gary. Thanks.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Very nice! Interesting subject as bed usually doesn't get featured but here is jumps out!

I haven't seen any river bottoms as pretty as this one was, Taz. It does jump out.

See you,

Tom
    Sam wrote: »
    I love nature abstracts and if one looks for them they are everywhere.

Sam

You're absolutely right, Sam. I'm trying to become more cognizant of them.

Take care,

Tom
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice capture Tom, I would try increasing vibrance and contrast a bit.

Your comment, Cristóbal, highlights a very interesting situation. The angle at which you view the monitor can significantly affect certain dynamics....contrast being one of them. I tend to view my monitor with the top of the screen tilted very slightly away from me. I've adjusted this image to more closely reflect what I was seeing on my monitor. I think you'll like the changes.

Yellowstone%201%20127-X3.jpg
    rwells wrote: »
    Well Pard,

Those are certainly nice colors, but I think the perspective would have been better about 6' lower.

BTW, I know how tall you are :-)

Nice try, Pard, but I was in water only about 3 feet deep. You'll have to shoot me....drowning won't work.:D
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    I do Tom, I like it! clap.gif
    Hi Richard,

I tried to reply to your post in the normal fashion....click on " reply " and go from there. On doing that, though, your initial comments didn't show up. Don't know where the problem may lie.

I was aware, as I was taking the shot, that the grasses were mostly on the right-hand side of that diagonal line. However, due to the desire to keep some unwanted elements from view, I was kind of trapped to the composition as I show it. I did try some slightly different crops with the initial post but wasn't happy with them. I'll just have to ride with this one as it is shown.

As always, I value your input. Thanks,

Tom
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    Richard wrote: »
    Nicely seen painterly image. I disagree with my friend Cristóbal about color and contrast--I think they're fine as is. But I would experiment with the crop some. If you draw a diagonal from top left to bottom right, most of the "action" is in the upper right part, while the lower left part is a little dull by comparison. I would try to reduce the size of that part a bit.

I agree with your crop suggestion, Richard....... Not all the lower left 1/2, but certainly part of it.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Reworked version is rocking for me! But I am still at work with cheap Dell monitor. Need to see it at home! Bravo!
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I agree with your crop suggestion, Richard....... Not all the lower left 1/2, but certainly part of it.

Well, it's an honor to have you check in. Thanks.

You may want to see my response to Richard. Honestly, the preponderance of rocks on the lower left doesn't bother me. But I can well appreciate a different opinion. As I told Richard, I looked at all sorts of different crops initially. In my mind, the entire top portion ( all the way from left to right ) is necessary so that there's enough green grass to offset the burbling water. That said, I can't figure out how you would crop that shot, keeping the top intact, to eliminate any of the lower left. Unless....you raise the bottom margin. And I don't want to get into that much revision on this image.

You and Richard are two of the more accomplished shooters we have. So my interest here is genuine: how would you two guys go about the cropping ? I give up on it.

Tom
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited September 27, 2014
    OK, here's a stab at it.

i-NqBGzvT-XL.jpg

BTW, I used your revised version because I think most people will prefer it. Despite what I said earlier, the original looks dull by comparison. Your saturation slider must go up to 11 lol3.gif. Interestingly, though it has more pop, somehow I don't get as much of a painterly feel from it, but then it is a photo, not a painting, so maybe that's OK.
    edited September 27, 2014
    Richard...

Thanks for taking the time to mess with this. Your crop certainly is an option. The only way to get there, as you have done, is to lop off a good portion of the left hand side. In doing so, though, you loose that very top left area that I really want to keep. To me ( and this may be one of the more subjective reactions on my part that I've faced ) the photo looses more than it gains by going with your crop. I understand that you feel the right side of the " diagonal " is the more powerful and dynamic.

Look at it this way....this is a shot of " yin' and yang' " in a river bottom. :D Got to have one side able to balance out the other. Seriously....there is no right or wrong crop. I rather like all the rocks on the bottom left and you would rather soften their presence. A clear case of personal preference. The good news is that we both can have what we want. Ain't life grand.

BTW...I've got even more notches left on my saturation slider. wings.gifHide the women and children.

Take care my friend,

Tom