Nikon D7100

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited February 24, 2015 in Cameras
Thoughts, opinions? I notice that a dedicated back focus button is absent. I'm a little bummed about that.

Nikon D7100

Kinda makes you wonder what Nikon is thinking when an $1100 D7100 has a better shutter and sync speed than its $2000 D600
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    Jeez..
    They really priced the D7100 "afford-ably"!

I'd love to see a review in the upcoming weeks!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 21, 2013
    Sure trumped Canon. Again. Looks real nice. Preview is now up at DPReview.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    I've got the D7000 and I am considering upgrading to this, but I'll wait for some more solid reviews before fully deciding. The D600 refurbished is down to like $1600 which is also real tempting, but for what I shoot (95% landscapes), I really don't think it would be worth the investment to jump to full frame, and then buy all new lenses. I have been printing larger stuff, like 20x30 more frequently and considering a larger one yet for fun, and think the additional MP would help in that regard, assuming I can still get a proper shot of course. Currently I'm just enlarging in one pass with Perfect Resize.

The better AF system is also one of the main interest points for me, primarily for those times I am shooting people.
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Thoughts, opinions? I notice that a dedicated back focus button is absent. I'm a little bummed about that.

Nikon D7100

Kinda makes you wonder what Nikon is thinking when an $1100 D7100 has a better shutter and sync speed than its $2000 D600
    Well it is a DX camera and from the sounds of it, this will be their top level one. It seems that the Prosumer sized body is gone for DX. The D600 is entry level Full Frame, so it is the base line gutted version of its larger siblings. Nikon has as everyone else done this, it is typical tier stepping the product lines in order to serve different economic segments of the market.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    There are some things I like and some that I think are a step back. D7000 AF was not as robust as D300 so the new AF is great. The slower frame rate and smaller buffer is a big downer for me and the styles of shooting I do. Buffer from D300 to D7000 went down except 14bit RAW and now most likely due to the files size of the D7100 it is down more. Better bigger and better LCD +, Now big ISO jump, bummer.
    I am sure it is going to produce better quality images than either my D300 ,D7000 I was tired of waiting for them to come out with the new DX I bought a used D3 and I am in full frame heaven FPS and buffer so nice, working through the full frame viewfinder is liberating.
    D600 is not much more and performance is about the same.
    If I had waited to buy for them to finally announce D7100 I would have to say I would have been disappointed with the specs.
    D400? who knows if that will ever happen now Ya just never know.
    I do look forward to more indepth reviews
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    It's no final review, however I have posted my opinion on the specs and the camera overall here:

http://www.slrlounge.com/dslr-announcement-nikon-d7100-evolution-or-revolution

The bottom line for me? Even after going full-frame and loving it, I'd consider the D7100 if this camera can deliver at ISO 3200. It's got everything I need, aside from a PC sync port which is probably where I'd be using my D700 anyway. (Wedding reception lighting)

Lastly, a word on the lack of an AF-ON button:

Quite honestly, I guess I just never needed BOTH the AF-ON and the AF-L/AE-L buttons. I've always just customized the AF-L / AE-L button to do something else, such as live view on my D700, which now has it's own dedicated button anyways on the newer cameras. So the point is moot. Honestly locking exposure or focus via a button just never seemed practical for me. I've never needed to lock focus using back-button-focus, obviously, and I've never needed to use exposure lock because I either shoot in manual when I need to, or I shoot in aperture priority when I need to, and worst case scenario you can usually customize the shutter release to do AE-L during Aperture priority, if necessary...

So all in all, I'm WAY more excited about the "OK" button finally being programmable to "100% zoom during image playback", unlike the D7000 and D600 and all other previous DSLR's in that class. That is one feature that I just despise having to do without.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    I ordered one. Pretty close to my dream d400. It will be a good option for me for a smaller lighter camera than my D3s or my D700. I still do like the crop sensor for some things. It isn't my go to choice for everything. But I assume this thing will be better than the 300s in the ISO dept. And it has some really cool connectivity features I want to use. Tethered capture. Really sophisticated remote abilities. The list is huge. For video? I bet it rocks. Not that I do much video now. Price?? It is wicked cheap. As are all of Nikon's offerings this year. Think about it. The D800? $3000?? WTH 36megapixel monster? The D600? Again really good price for what it is. My 300s was $1600 when I bought it. The 300s will be going up for sale in the next little while.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I ordered one. Pretty close to my dream d400. It will be a good option for me for a smaller lighter camera than my D3s or my D700. I still do like the crop sensor for some things. It isn't my go to choice for everything. But I assume this thing will be better than the 300s in the ISO dept. And it has some really cool connectivity features I want to use. Tethered capture. Really sophisticated remote abilities. The list is huge. For video? I bet it rocks. Not that I do much video now. Price?? It is wicked cheap. As are all of Nikon's offerings this year. Think about it. The D800? $3000?? WTH 36megapixel monster? The D600? Again really good price for what it is. My 300s was $1600 when I bought it. The 300s will be going up for sale in the next little while.

You know a camera is a good value when it instantly slashes the value of your current gear by like, half... Annoying, but good in the end!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited February 22, 2013
    No kidding. The gap seems to keep closing. The new cameras coming up are getting good.
    edited February 22, 2013
    I just looked at some more pics of it. It looks to have quite mode. A feature I use often on the D3s. Very nice for a quite setting where a slamming shutter seems obtrusive.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »

Nikon D7100

Canon did a similar thing with the 5D mkII and 7D, both seemed to sell well.

This camera is going to give me something serious to think about since it would make a good accompaniment to my D700.

Does anyone have a link to any D5200/3200 and D600 base ISO shots for detail? I've been thinking about an increase in resolution for my studio work and the D7100 would be a lot easier of a purchase than the 600/800.

Edit: they say "new" sensor I wonder if that's true or if it's just a refresh, and there will be no AA filter. This could be amazing for the studio and macro work clap.gif
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Perhaps I am wrong but as I understand it removing the filter constitutes the new sensor as they are ordinarily fused into one structure.

Which brings up another question....if removing the filter is such a great idea then why did they ever put them on in the first place?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 22, 2013
    Moire used to be a bigger problem in the past with bayer interpolation and lower sensor MP rates. RAW software virtual moire filtering may be the best way to go in the future if the bayer pattern is still popular. I'm getting the feeling that in a year or two, a new sensor game will be afoot.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    I'm thrilled. I've been using a 5100 and been kicking myself for passing on the 7000. Now I'll either move up a generation or save some real dollars on the soon to be discounted (yet still VERY capable) 7000. VERY nice options to have.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
    edited February 23, 2013
    I worked it out and this thing is a serious contender for me. I can pick one up new along with a 12-24 & sigma 50-150 (both used) for the price of the D600. Now I just need to cross my fingers and hope no issues come out at launch, or they are quickly resolved.
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2013
    I dont't know...after all the sensor dust issues on the D600, and focus issues on the D800, I think I might be inclined to wait a bit before buying if you are inclined to purchase one.
    edited February 23, 2013
    Definitely, but it'll be out in a month so my thinking is 2-3 weeks after that any problems should find their way to the internet so that would be a good time to place an order. And it will probably take a few weeks after that to get one as the pre-orders are still being filled so that should be enough time before I take delivery.
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2013
    Just sitting back waiting for you guys (from whom I gather much knowledge and wisdom BTW) to start ditching your "old" D7000's of D300S units on the used market. If you're thinking of replacing your lightly used D7000, once this new fangled D7100 hits the market and renders it totally redundant, fire me off a PM.
    Lyle
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
    edited February 24, 2015
    I just put together a set of shots showing B&W high ISO performance of the D7100 with just some noise reduction from lightroom for someone on ADV and this little camera really is impressive:

ISO 12,800:

i-w66XFWk.jpg

i-c8mLSCD.jpg

i-c3zbtwk.jpg

ISO 6,400:

i-tSQ7D2f.jpg

i-drBz8n2.jpg

ISO 3,200

i-GWn4S5n.jpg

i-mSx3Hrh.jpg

These are web sized but I've had no issue printing the 12,800's at 8x10 and they'd go larger without too much of a problem. You'd see some noise for sure but it's not so bad as to take over the image.