Is this a good tripod head for my setup?

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited June 15, 2008 in Accessories
Hi everyone,

I've got a Manfrotto tripod 190B (not the new 190XB or whatever it is - mine is like 8yrs old or something) which is still fine and seeing as I don't use it all the time I'm not about to replace it with something faster/lighter/better/whatever

but... it has a 141RC head which well I don't really like anymore - it's not sooo stable and not soo easy to tilt etc to all the angles i like. But it does allow to pan and lock etc.

so I'm thinking about replacing it wiht a ball head - which seems to be more popular and better suited to photography.

I have a Nikon D80 + 18-200 VR and occasionally an SB-800 (going to buy my own soon - borrowing friends for now)

Will this head be sufficient?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/156564-REG/Giottos_MH1003_310_MH1003_Small_Ball_Head.html

Will this let me pan or tilt etc??? I dunno.... call me clueless!!! :dunno

I can't spend a lot of money at the moment on it so please don't tell me just to get the biggest/baddest/most expensive :)

Oh really do want quick release too as I'm used to it - so I suppose I'm going to need this too right?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554141-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_323_323_RC2_System_Quick.html

thanks for your advice and help - i'm honestly clueless about what's the best tripod/head etc. for which purpose.

Cheers, Jase

Comments

• nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I have this one, supports up to 13 pounds/6 kilograms, and just about the same cost as what you had. Difference is the knob on yours is a lever on this. I've not had any issues with runaway lenses/bodies on it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272449-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_486RC2_486RC2_Compact_Ballhead_w_Rapid.html
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    The tripod is fine, but the head looks like hours of frustration.
    It will support the weight of your camera allright, but when
    you tighten the head the ball will move slightly (typical for cheap
    ballheads) and change your initial alignment. Another shifting problem
    usualy becomes aparent when there is weight off the ballheads
    axis and you move the tripod. For 100$ you can get a much nicer
    head with quick release system integrated. I recommend seaching
    for manfrotto or gitzo heads.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • silverstangssilverstangs Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    It's not a ball head, but a 3 way Pan/Tilt Head, I have the
    Bogen - Manfrotto 808RC4 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with Quick Release - Supports 17.6 lbs <<< Yes your reading that right, but that's 17.6 pounds that it supports.
    http://www.adorama.com/BG808RC4.html

catlite.tpl?op=large_image&sku=BG808RC4.JPG
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Unless you are investing for the future, I wouldn't spend over $50 for a tripod if the 18-200 vr is the lens you are using. What's your application? I use one I picked up at Best Buy for $40 that came with two quick connectors. I know I would get laughed at by pros with fancy tri's, but I am not going to spend hundreds on something I rarely use. There's a question of the best tri-pod/head combo and then there is a question of need. The 18-200 vr is all about getting away from the tri-pod.

I have that lens and it's a rare day when I feel the need to use a tri-pod. If I do, I try to find something to steady it on. My method may be unorthodox as I take several pictures when I have slow shutterspeed so I can get the sharpest picture, but I find I can brace it and still use it for shutterspeed like 2 seconds or so.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    Unless you are investing for the future, I wouldn't spend over $50 for a tripod if the 18-200 vr is the lens you are using. What's your application? I use one I picked up at Best Buy for $40 that came with two quick connectors. I know I would get laughed at by pros with fancy tri's, but I am not going to spend hundreds on something I rarely use. There's a question of the best tri-pod/head combo and then there is a question of need. The 18-200 vr is all about getting away from the tri-pod.

I have that lens and it's a rare day when I feel the need to use a tri-pod. If I do, I try to find something to steady it on. My method may be unorthodox as I take several pictures when I have slow shutterspeed so I can get the sharpest picture, but I find I can brace it and still use it for shutterspeed like 2 seconds or so.

Yeah but there are still days when I want to use the tripod - for HDR, for family portraits with all of us, for night shots etc. that's why I'm not upgrading my 8yo tripod - but just looking to get a relatively cheap - but still better than what I've got now - ball head to make my tripod a little more usable when I do want to use it.

Cheers, Jase
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Jason,
    I did my research when I was about to get mine, and I honestly don't think there is a good ballhead cheaper than ~$200.
    Bad/cheap one will give you nothing but loads of frustration and a bitter feeling of a money wasted.
    YMMV.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I've got a Manfrotto tripod 190B (not the new 190XB or whatever it is - mine is like 8yrs old or something) which is still fine and seeing as I don't use it all the time I'm not about to replace it with something faster/lighter/better/whatever

but... it has a 141RC head which well I don't really like anymore - it's not sooo stable and not soo easy to tilt etc to all the angles i like. But it does allow to pan and lock etc.

so I'm thinking about replacing it wiht a ball head - which seems to be more popular and better suited to photography.

I have a Nikon D80 + 18-200 VR and occasionally an SB-800 (going to buy my own soon - borrowing friends for now)

Will this head be sufficient?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/156564-REG/Giottos_MH1003_310_MH1003_Small_Ball_Head.html

Will this let me pan or tilt etc??? I dunno.... call me clueless!!! ne_nau.gif

I can't spend a lot of money at the moment on it so please don't tell me just to get the biggest/baddest/most expensive :)

Oh really do want quick release too as I'm used to it - so I suppose I'm going to need this too right?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554141-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_323_323_RC2_System_Quick.html

thanks for your advice and help - i'm honestly clueless about what's the best tripod/head etc. for which purpose.

Cheers, Jase

i understand the not being able to spend a lot of money for somwthing but when it comes to camera support....I have to think of it like this....do I want to have to replace my camera and lens because of tripod head failure.....

For several years now I have been using this ball head....it is the
    BOGEN 322RC2 ...... is very sturdy.... it is 4X the price you were looking at but it will not let you down or at least it hasn't me and I have had over 14lbs of equip attached to it..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    I can't imagine that the head you linked would be a step up over what you already have.

Save the $40. Do that 9 more times and you've got the head you really need to get, the BH-40 LR II: Mid-sized ballhead w/ LR II.

Yes, you said not to tell you about those, but really, if you need to make do, then make do until you can buy the right thing.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Yes, you said not to tell you about those, but really, if you need to make do, then make do until you can buy the right thing.

thumb.gif

Make do and get the best. I have learned you go cheap, you pay for it 2-3 times anyway. If you go cheap, it's best to go really cheap and save for the best. In your case, the head you want to buy is not much improvement over what you have.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Manfrotto 488RC2
    Although I prefer a ball head that is Arca Swiss Conpatible (so I can use a Really Right Stuff L-Plate), the Manfrotto 488RC2 is a very good ball head with the decent RC2 quick release system. It will run just a bit over a hundred bucks new on eBay and quite a bit less than that used.

http://photography.search.ebay.com/488rc2_Cameras-Photo_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR4QQsacatZ625
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone, I think I'll reconsider and just keep using the head I've got now.

It's done me ok and honestly I don't use the tripod that often - so will use the money towards an SB-800 which I will use a heck of a lot more than the tripod.

Then if i ever manage to get more time to take photos seriously I'll revisit the tripod issue.

Thanks again all!

Cheers, Jase