Gimme Shelter

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited May 24, 2010 in Street and Documentary
875382749_KH6ji-L.jpg

875502714_fjnH8-L.jpg

875480239_jZUFf-L.jpg

875372032_qzVCY-L.jpg

Should I post only the first?
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• gorallygorally Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Patti,

I don't think any of those has enough impact to say "gimme shelter". I like #1 in terms of the artistic part. However, the man doesn't look like he was outside or under some harsh condition. The other three can't pass this message across either, IMHO. I hope I udnerstand your title correctly. If not, please clarify with me. :-)
    Ed
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    gorally wrote: »
    Patti,

I don't think any of those has enough impact to say "gimme shelter". I like #1 in terms of the artistic part. However, the man doesn't look like he was outside or under some harsh condition. The other three can't pass this message across either, IMHO. I hope I udnerstand your title correctly. If not, please clarify with me. :-)

Thanks Ed. I should have stuck with untitled.mwink.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    I agree with Ed in that the title doesn't match the pictures. However, it's an interesting set. Leave it as a set, as it tells a story. #3 would have been better if framed to the right to avoid the car & achieve rule of 1/3. Thx for sharing! Sammy.
    edited May 22, 2010
    It's not obvious that he took shelter from the rain to have his cup of joe and smoke. Unfortunately it's not possible to crop out the car without making the man an amputee. Thanks for the feedback Sammy.

patti hinton photography
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Maybe a case where the title didn't help. I immediately responded to the third shot. Something disassociative about it. I would have preferred it if the man was more distant. As it is, he draws attention away from the banality of the setting.
    edited May 23, 2010
    thanks Jenn.

patti hinton photography
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    I think I lost something with this group of pictures judging by the comments. There is some relationship - but not much in my opinion.
    The first one tells the greatest story - Wow, that person has it right - get out of this miserable weather - you the photographer is in the bad weather and that person is enjoying the shelter.
    IMO the second shot has a very bright spot on the right which might indicate a different time cycle than the first -sunny day?. The others don't do it for me - sorry.
    By the way - was it raining or some other occurrance that caused the rain soaked window?- I.E a sprinkler.

ED
    edited May 24, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    I think I lost something with this group of pictures judging by the comments. There is some relationship - but not much in my opinion.
    The first one tells the greatest story - Wow, that person has it right - get out of this miserable weather - you the photographer is in the bad weather and that person is enjoying the shelter.
    IMO the second shot has a very bright spot on the right which might indicate a different time cycle than the first -sunny day?. The others don't do it for me - sorry.
    By the way - was it raining or some other occurrance that caused the rain soaked window?- I.E a sprinkler.

ED

Thanks Ed. The bright spot is light reflection from inside the coffee shop where I was sitting. I appreciate the feedback.

patti hinton photography
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Hi Patti,
    Shot #2 does it for me. Two addictions in one shot. The way you captured him lighting his smoke on top of the trashcan is too good--I like the comp as well.
    I like the series as a whole. Including your first and last shot to complete it.

And yes this is one of those series/shots were the title didn't help--but you've probably heard that already :D.
    I get where you were going with it--shelter to light the cigarette, but it immediately made me think homeless person, and I don't think he is or even if he is, that's not what the shots are about.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 24, 2010
    Thanks Liz. Yes, it was a bad choice of title on my part. I'm still undecided about whether posting more than the 1st shot was appropriate. I'm glad you see a series here. It's been a learning experience getting feedback on it.

patti hinton photography