Small camera roundup

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 21, 2016 in Cameras
Those who have been following my search for a new travel camera know I've been checking out a number of models. I think I've finally worked my way through the contenders, and since a few people wanted to know what I discovered, I'm starting this new thread with a run-down plus some sample shots. This is NOT a scientific set of reviews - I wasn't able to shoot side-by-side etc. Just my impressions based on firing off some frames in typical scenarios.

My requirements:
- smaller than a dSLR - no need to go in a pocket, but into a purse without weighing it down too much
- great image quality
- manual mode and ability to shoot raw
- all-in-one if possible (trying to avoid carrying extra lenses)
- as much ability to shoot shallow depth of field as possible
- under $500, $200-300 preferred

The contenders:
- Canon G15 (refurb + CLP $230)
- Canon G1x (refurb +CLP $280)
- Sony a5000 with standard and tele kit lenses (open box deal: $400)
- Fuji XM w kit lens ($399)
- Olympus EPL-5 with kit lens ($299)

I was only able to try the Fuji and Olympus in-store, but I took a card with me so I could review the images at home.

Here's a quick comparison of my impressions:

i-gXPcTbh.jpg

======================================

Canon G15 (Refurb + CLP: $229)
(For sample images and further comments, seethis thread posts 23 & 36.)
I will say that for anybody looking for a fabulous walkaround, upscale point and shoot, the G15 (and presumably the 16) is outstanding. It has the fastest AF and least shutter-lag of any that I've ever used, and the images were lovely. It just wasn't quite right for my needs at the moment.

=========================================================

G1x (Refurb + CLP: $279)

In a perfect world, I'd get a G1x II, I think - it has a faster lens than the Mk I and apparently the AF is a faster; it also has wifi (not a dealbreaker, but nice to have). However, that would be an extra $500, which isn't an option. Despite the sluggish AF, the G1x is QUITE the machine, however, and at the moment it's between that and the Fuji, I think, with the nod currently towards the Canon for a number of reasons (not least of which my existing familiarity with the interface). I wish it was a bit faster - both lens and to AF - but in all other ways it's pretty much exactly what I want and need. I have a few days to try it out in real world situations, but at the moment, it's my leader. I particularly like that I can hold it like a dslr - even when I'm using the screen, I can support it properly, which I really like. :thumb

These are just common-or-garden-variety jpgs as metered in camera
i-tDS9ws5.jpg

My usual test-models just weren't into it today ;) (this is cropped by about 25%)
i-svX8hLD.jpg

This is a spot on my porch I use a lot, so it made a good comparison for me. Obviously, I'm not getting full-frame f2 bokeh, but it's not bad given the size of the camera!

i-X9MK8CG.jpg

===========================================================

Sony a5000 (incl 18-55 + 50-210 lenses $399)

This is probably the best bargain of the bunch and there is a LOT to like about it.... I'm just not sure it's for me needs at this time (and if anybody wants to buy this rig from me before I return it to the store, please PM me and I'll pass the amazing savings I scored onto a fellow dgrinner!). I really, really wanted to love this set-up because the bang-per-buck is ridiculous, but it's just not going to work for me. Why?

- Totally subjective, but I just don't care for the in-camera processing - very contrasty, and a weird NR algorithm that seems to create artefacting if you pixel-peep. I couldn't lose it entirely even in raw. This is likely NOT a dealbreaker for a lot of folks, but it is for me :(
- Not enough external controls for me. I found having to do everything by menu really slowed me down - the a6000 would solve this, but I don't have the extra $ to make that work.
- Small and light for sure, but I couldn't hold it two-handed like a dSLR, the way I prefer (had to hold it like a cellphone or smaller point and shoot); especially with the telezoom on, this felt odd to me.

I'm sure I "could" adapt to all of those things I mention, but since I have other options, I'm not sure I want to. It's a cracking good setup - and if I had some more $ I'd probably get an a6000 body instead as there is much to recommend the Sony ecosystem.

Contrasty jpgs SOOC - if that's a look you like, you will LOVE this camera!
i-K7J4mmK.jpg

Weird NR/sharpening (deep crop - 100% or more)
i-HFTWLjG.jpg

===========================================

Olympus EPL-5 ($399)

Only tried this one in the store and didn't nail focus on any of them, so no samples. I LOVED the way it feels in the hand (the OM-D even more so - lovely, LOVELY small dslr-type body!!!), but I missed the viewfinder, and I wasn't crazy about the in-camera processing; jpgs were smeary for my taste.

===========================================

Fuji XM1 ($399)

Absolutely in love with the sensor and look of the files. Camera is nice in the hand and the menu system made more sense to me than the Sony. If I had more money at my disposal, I'm pretty sure I'd go with one of the better-spec'd Fujis and a couple of lenses, but alas that's not an option. WONDERFUL camera, however - I was much more impressed than I expected to be :) Only used in the store so hardly artistic samples, but fwiw:

i-KtV4qW8.jpg

===============================

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 14, 2015
    Thanks so much for the write-up and review. I have an idea just how much time this sort of testing takes, and compiling that into a review is awesome. wings.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2015
    I just got a Canon EOS-M (original M1) with 22mm f2.0 STM pancake lens for $250. it's not an "all in one" type model but it's definitely small and lightweight - literally pocket size with the 22mm pancake lens.
    I plan on using it as a travel camera

I've only had it a couple of hours but so far I like it. The EF adapter is only $35 so I'll probably get that

a couple of first shots (taken in RAW, resized with correction and converted to jpeg)

22mm
    ISO 1600
    1/30
    f6.3

17467134118_14f4d59d6a_b.jpg

(cropped)
    25615178005_9ef1774d3d_b.jpgUntitled by c w, on Flickr
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2015
    Presumably you bought used? I'd definitely have been interested if I could have found the M line here; the M3 in particular looks very interesting....... thumb.gif
    edited May 14, 2015
    Ziggy, my pleasure. I figure somebody else may as well benefit if they search for similar information!! thumb.gif
    edited May 16, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    Presumably you bought used? I'd definitely have been interested if I could have found the M line here; the M3 in particular looks very interesting....... thumb.gif

new !
    do a search on ebay for eos m and 22mm. (without the 18-55) The M2 and M3 versions are higher but the original is still for sale
    edited May 16, 2015
    Good for you! I think I'm pretty set on the G1x at this point, but useful to know that it's still possible to find the M series. Enjoy! thumb.gif
  • catnipcatnip New member Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2015
    Great compilation, divamum!

I was wondering the same thing... and glad to have stumbled on your post.
    edited May 24, 2015
    So glad it was helpful! I'm really enjoying the G1x, despite the sluggish AF and processing; the IQ is excellent, the lens is sharp, and it handles beautifully for me (I like the extra size/weight and the controls fall under my fingers exactly as they would with my dSLR). It's slower than a dSLR, and even some small cameras, but not so slow as to be a problem, IMO; wouldn't be a good choice for sports or little kids, but for anything that doesn't run around? Just fine. I have to say, if the $ are available the G1X II (which resolves most of my reservations about the Mk I) looks like a cracking great machine thumb.gif

Love the sensor on the G1x, and have been realllly impressed by the teeny-tiny on-board flash as fill. These were taken just a few seconds apart - first is underexposed, and the reality was more like the right hand image.... where I used the on-board flash as fill.

i-9G4pDLW-XL.jpg
    edited May 24, 2015
    I didn't find a like button here (silly of me to think there's one)!

Which GX1 did you get, by the way: the powershot or the mark II?
    edited May 24, 2015
    The Mk I (they're both Powershots). Canon refurb + an additional $20 off for the Canon Loyalty Program so the bottom line was $270. Can't beat that!

Here's another one, from today - I'm falling pretty in love with this thing as I use it a bit iloveyou.gif

i-V6TZhZn-X2.jpg
    edited June 16, 2015
    Nice!
  • jeff21upjeff21up Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2015
    nice pics
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2015
    I got my G1x for about the same price as Divamum (without CLP, though I wonder if they'll take my Canon A320 as a trade in in the future) it has has been a great little camera and her review is spot on. It's AF is a bit slow, it needs to go into "macro" a lot sooner than you'd expect, but the image quality is awesome. I did a ISO 12,800 test on my pup and this shot is with noise reduction from Lightroom CC and there's still some very noticeable noise in there but it's easily usable for the web, or 8x10 or smaller prints:

i-mPVVQRD.jpg

100%

i-rdN92QP.jpg

The fact that the camera has a sensor this large yet can take photos essentially silently is amazing and was a huge selling point to me.
    edited March 10, 2016
    divamum I hope you've been enjoying the G1X as much as I have been. I decided to push mine way beyond what it is good at and tried to shoot a concert. As you know it's by no means the fastest camera, and the RAW's need a bit more work than my DSLR's to get to a point I like but for a very dark stage @ ISO 12,800 I think this is acceptable:

i-X86hbM9-XL.jpg

My keeper rate obviously was way lower, but I was able to bring the G1X in a coat pocket and just take a few photos here and there. Best of all for anyone else reading this just the fact that a 250 dollar (refurbished) point and shoot can do this even with all of its' faults for this type of photography is pretty impressive.
    edited March 17, 2016
    Yes!! Very much so. I don't use it often, but am super-glad to have it when I need it. Definitely got my $250 worth out of it :)
    edited May 20, 2016
    I've been using my G1X a lot more lately so I thought I'd bump this thread, while it has its' quirks and weaknesses it's easily the best dollar for dollar it's the best deal I've ever gotten on photo equipment.

i-Rs2FcND.jpg

i-PnN5gGk.jpg

i-kvWC3gm.jpg

i-qst52pC-X3.jpg

So if you're relatively new to photography I still wouldn't recommend this camera, but if you have a lot of experience there's a boat load of capability hidden inside that little body. You will just have to work a little bit to get it out.
    edited May 21, 2016
    I've been using my G1X a lot more lately so I thought I'd bump this thread, while it has its' quirks and weaknesses it's easily the best dollar for dollar it's the best deal I've ever gotten on photo equipment.

So if you're relatively new to photography I still wouldn't recommend this camera, but if you have a lot of experience there's a boat load of capability hidden inside that little body. You will just have to work a little bit to get it out.

nice but I think the future is still with mirrorless. A pocket size camera for events, travel, family, etc. but also with the ability to use it for longer telephoto needs like birding.

I like my little $100 camera (wish it would do sports !)

26225225954_22fcb4d86b_b.jpgiso 6400 by c w, on Flickr

26174701871_bca73db0d6_b.jpgUntitled by c w, on Flickr
    edited May 21, 2016
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    nice but I think the future is still with mirrorless. A pocket size camera for events, travel, family, etc. but also with the ability to use it for longer telephoto needs like birding.

I like my little $100 camera (wish it would do sports !)

Mirrorless is good if you're looking for a whole system but since I already have a few DSLR's that's not as big of a concern. The advantage of a fixed lens is that they have more room to shrink it down into the body making for a smaller overall package so they have the best ratio of size to usability. So for those looking for a small but quality second camera along with people who will only ever use the kit lens they can be a better choice.