SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 14, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Please place any bug reports here. Thank you.

Comments

• dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    slideshow 'error on page' when using keyword
    It appears that you fixed the slideshow quirk I had reported here when pictures changed orientation and the FADE was off. But, now when I click on a keyword and try to use the slideshow, I'm getting 'error on page'. The slideshow works fine for galleries.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    dmc wrote:
    It appears that you fixed the slideshow quirk I had reported here when pictures changed orientation and the FADE was off. But, now when I click on a keyword and try to use the slideshow, I'm getting 'error on page'. The slideshow works fine for galleries.

Hi dmc,

Thanks. I'll make sure the engineers see it!
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Not really a bug per se, but something that needs working on. While checking Poseidon's Did I do this right thread, I tried adding all 200 some odd photos to the cart. It took forever. I feel like if I customer does this, they might think it timed out or something. Why does it take forever anyways?
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 6, 2005
    singleImage and category
    in the singleImage style, the category class is still showing up as category_object instead of category_categoryName

example:
    http://bigwebguy.smugmug.com/gallery/950478/1/45969758/Medium
    Pedal faster
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Bug: Searching keywords and certain gallery styles don't mix
    When a user browses your site and changes the gallery style to Slideshow or Filmstrip, then does a search for keywords, a javascript error is returned and the pictures don't show.

How to reproduce (example):
    -Go to http://www.streetsofboston.com
    -Go into a gallery.
    -Change the gallery style to either Slideshow or Filmstrip.
    -Then go to this URL: http://www.streetsofboston.com/keyword/portfolio
    (or do a 'Search... --> Keywords in Streets Of Boston --> portfolio').
    -Page loads, but errors out on javascript error (onStart not found).
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    A mistake that's too easy to make on Smugmug
    Andy wrote:
    This isn't an actual bug, but I am surprised by how many people are bitten by this usability problem so I thought I'd try to call some attention to it.

A surprising number of users decide that they like the Hide Owner option for their gallery customization. Then, they are surprised to find out that none of their CSS customizations work. I know that is the way smugmug is coded to work, but it is confusing a signfiicant number of users (we see a bunch of confused ones on dgrin).

Here are some recent threads that all had users confused by this:
    Customization Errors
    Cobranding/customizations only working on some galleries
    Why a specific gallery won't customize
    Gallery ignores customization after adding photo
    I'm still having issues
    Need Help Please!
    Apparent glitches
    Inconsistencies
    Customized header does not appear

And these were only from the first screen of a dgrin search on hide owner and they're only the people that posted on dgrin. There are likely countless more.

What I think is going on is that people simply don't think this "Hide Owner" feature means that their customizations should be turned off. I know that doing so makes the real owner more hidden, but that is not what a bunch of users seem to be expecting.

Here are some possible improvements to prevent this confusion.

1) Put some text in the gallery customization screen that tells the user that their customizations will be ignored if they chose "Hide Owner".

2) Change the name of "Hide Owner" to be "Display Generic Page". While this wouldn't make it quite as obvious that breadcrumbs and hostname are hidden, it would certainly prevent any confusion about not seeing CSS customizations.

3) Separate out some of the different parts of Hide Owner so that the user can separately choose to just hide the breadcrumbs, but not disable CSS customizations. You could do this by making separate options for:

[X] Hide Owner (don't display breadcrumbs or hostname)
    [X] Hide Page Customizations (don't display CSS customizations)

This would not only give the user more granular control over the different parts of the hiding, but would also completely eliminate any chance of the current confusion since page customizations wouldn't get hidden without the user explicitly choosing for them to be hidden.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited December 13, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    This isn't an actual bug, but I am surprised by how many people are bitten by this usability problem so I thought I'd try to call some attention to it.

A surprising number of users decide that they like the Hide Owner option for their gallery customization. Then, they are surprised to find out that none of their CSS customizations work. I know that is the way smugmug is coded to work, but it is confusing a signfiicant number of users (we see a bunch of confused ones on dgrin).

Here are some recent threads that all had users confused by this:
    Customization Errors
    Cobranding/customizations only working on some galleries
    Why a specific gallery won't customizeGallery ignores customization after adding photo
    I'm still having issues
    Need Help Please!
    Apparent glitches
    Inconsistencies
    Customized header does not appear

And these were only from the first screen of a dgrin search on hide owner and they're only the people that posted on dgrin. There are likely countless more.

What I think is going on is that people simply don't think this "Hide Owner" feature means that their customizations should be turned off. I know that doing so makes the real owner more hidden, but that is not what a bunch of users seem to be expecting.

Here are some possible improvements to prevent this confusion.

1) Put some text in the gallery customization screen that tells the user that their customizations will be ignored if they chose "Hide Owner".

2) Change the name of "Hide Owner" to be "Display Generic Page". While this wouldn't make it quite as obvious that breadcrumbs and hostname are hidden, it would certainly prevent any confusion about not seeing CSS customizations.

3) Separate out some of the different parts of Hide Owner so that the user can separately choose to just hide the breadcrumbs, but not disable CSS customizations. You could do this by making separate options for:

[X] Hide Owner (don't display breadcrumbs or hostname)
    [X] Hide Page Customizations (don't display CSS customizations)

This would not only give the user more granular control over the different parts of the hiding, but would also completely eliminate any chance of the current confusion since page customizations wouldn't get hidden without the user explicitly choosing for them to be hidden.

Thanks John - yes, this has been an issue for some folks, for sure. I'll see what we can do.
    edited December 14, 2005
    shopping cart bug
    when you change print finish (ex. from gloss to lustre) on an item that you have already adjusted the crop for, it will reset the crop for that image when you either proceed to the next step or edit the crop of another photo in your cart.

This bit me as i had mistakenly picked glossy, cropped my photo and then changed to lustre before i went to check out. I didn't notice my crop had been reset until right after i clicked the submit order button.

fortunately super smugmug support was able to save the day.
    Pedal faster
  • gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    PING: can't zoom thumbnail
    This is a previously reported bug that I submitted through regular smumug support a couple of months ago. For specific galleries, I cannot zoom thumbnails to a 1x1 format. Smugmug rejects the attempt. This has been verified/acknowledged as a legitimate bug, but quite a bit of time has gone by with no action. I am stuck in the customization and formatting for some of my galleries because of this problem. When can a fix be expected? Please ping JT on this one.
    edited December 14, 2005
    Control panel page ignores sub-domain
    Andy wrote:
    I don't know if anyone cares about this bug or not, but if you go to:

http://abcdefgh.smugmug.com/homepage/controlpanel.mg

it takes you to the control panel for the currently logged in smugmug site, not the control panel for the sub-domain in the URL. It completely ignores the sub-domain in front of smugmug.com. If you ever login to more than one smugmug account (I had just gifted an account and was trying to manage the second account) this is really, really confusing. I went to the control panel via a bookmark and got quite confused. I had to read the actual control panel page to realize that it was not the control panel for the site listed in the URL.

Not a high priority issue, but since it confused me, I thought I'd report it in case someone wants to know or there are other reasons to fix this.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    jfriend wrote:

it takes you to the control panel for the currently logged in smugmug site, not the control panel for the sub-domain in the URL. It completely ignores the sub-domain in front of smugmug.com. If you ever login to more than one smugmug account (I had just gifted an account and was trying to manage the second account) this is really, really confusing. I went to the control panel via a bookmark and got quite confused. I had to read the actual control panel page to realize that it was not the control panel for the site listed in the URL.

Not a high priority issue, but since it confused me, I thought I'd report it in case someone wants to know or there are other reasons to fix this.
    It happens to me a lot. What I do is to first go to www.smugmug.com and click the link to take me to my homepage if I get confused. It'll take me to whichever homepage I'm logged into at the time. From there I go to the control panel or I log out.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited December 14, 2005
    jfriend wrote:

thumb.gif Thanks John - this is something that a few folks would notice, those who have more than one SmugMug account.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Kip found a bug with Picassa2 saved images that keep the 'Processing Image'-status forever. He says it's reproducible. I haven't checked it out as I've got no Picassa, but thought it would get more attention over here.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Emailing pics - caption problems and rich text
    I was playing around the with emailing of pics to my account and ran into a problem dealing with captions. I was using Outlook to send the pics and when they showed up on smugmug, the captions were gone. So I tried emailing one from Gmail and that time the caption did appear with the photo. The I set Gmail to use Rich Text for the email text and send another. That time the caption was gone.

So the problem is that if you're not sending an email with a plain text message body, the caption won't go through (I'm assuming that's because emails that have Rich text formatting basically show up in HTML instead of plain text).

This could be especially problematic if you're having other people email pictures - they may not have their email program set to plain text or know how to change it (I did a quick scan of Outlook's options and didn't see how to turn that off, although I'm sure there's a way somehow).
    Is there a way smugmug could still handle emails that have a rich text/html body? Perhaps strip out the html tags and just use the remaining text as the caption?

Thanks,
    Matt
    edited December 20, 2005
    mbrady wrote:
    So the problem is that if you're not sending an email with a plain text message body, the caption won't go through (I'm assuming that's because emails that have Rich text formatting basically show up in HTML instead of plain text).
    Thanks for figuring this out! I guess that's the thing that Andy almost drove crazy in the dgrin-photo-of-the-year-thread! mwink.gif
    That's definately a bug SM needs to take care of, because many html-mails are more and more the standard for many people as they allow more freedom to design mails.
    I guess SM has to introduce some kind of filter to strip the codes and just keep the text.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 20, 2005
    mbrady wrote:
    I was playing around the with emailing of pics to my account and ran into a problem dealing with captions. I was using Outlook to send the pics and when they showed up on smugmug, the captions were gone. So I tried emailing one from Gmail and that time the caption did appear with the photo. The I set Gmail to use Rich Text for the email text and send another. That time the caption was gone.

This could be especially problematic if you're having other people email pictures - they may not have their email program set to plain text or know how to change it (I did a quick scan of Outlook's options and didn't see how to turn that off, although I'm sure there's a way somehow).
    Is there a way smugmug could still handle emails that have a rich text/html body? Perhaps strip out the html tags and just use the remaining text as the caption?

Thanks,
    Matt

It's not as simple as that, I'm afraid. It has to do with the way different email programs behave.

This photo was emailed with RICH TEXT formatting:
    49052752-S.jpg

This photo was emailed with PLAIN TEXT formatting:
    49052759-S.jpg

I know that Onethumb is aware of this. When it will change, I can't say - but thank you for taking the time to post about it, we really appreciate it.
  • chmosschmoss Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Link works in IE but not in Firefox
    When I link to:
    http://clive.smugmug.com/photos/48904007-L.jpg
    it works in IE
    It does not work (empty page comes back) in Firefox 1.5

Is it me (but others seem to have had the same problem), or is it you, or is it Firefox?
    --
    Clive Moss
    edited December 20, 2005
    chmoss wrote:
    When I link to:
    http://clive.smugmug.com/photos/48904007-L.jpg
    it works in IE
    It does not work (empty page comes back) in Firefox 1.5

Is it me (but others seem to have had the same problem), or is it you, or is it Firefox?
    --
    Clive Moss

Clive - I went thru your site to find that photo - and of course, I found it in y our Street Photography Gallery. The reason it's NOT showing up is that you have EXTERNAL LINKS turned OFF for that gallery. Turn them ON and all will be well deal.gif

The reason it shows in your IE is IE had it stored in its' cache for you.

All the best,
  • chmosschmoss Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Clive - I went thru your site to find that photo - and of course, I found it in y our Street Photography Gallery. The reason it's NOT showing up is that you have EXTERNAL LINKS turned OFF for that gallery. Turn them ON and all will be well deal.gif

The reason it shows in your IE is IE had it stored in its' cache for you.
    Oy - How dumb can I be. Thanks!
    edited December 21, 2005
    When browsing keywords smugmug doesn't offer combinations anymore. Selecting for example 'family' used to bring up the choice to add 'christmas' and only show pictures with both keywords. I can still do this manually by adding a dash and the other keyword. ne_nau.gif

In traditional view there's still no visible link to the owner of the picture and the gallery where the picture is included. Please integrate this - this shouldn't be such a great deal, but really is a showstopper in terms of keywords for me.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 21, 2005
    timeline bug
    when trying a timeline search, either with the preset dates (all, 2005 etc..) or a custom timeframe i get a blank page in firefox and a 404 in IE.
    Pedal faster
    edited December 21, 2005
    bigwebguy wrote:
    when trying a timeline search, either with the preset dates (all, 2005 etc..) or a custom timeframe i get a blank page in firefox and a 404 in IE.
    Confirmed with IE6 on your timeline. I still haven't the timeline feature, so I can't test it on my own page.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 21, 2005
    bigwebguy wrote:

I have reported this earlier today to the engineers. Thanks guys.
  • OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Unable to upload today...
    Twice I've tried to upload pics at different times today. Goes through all the motions but no pictures have been uploaded.

Is anyone else seeing this? Using MSIE and the windows upload.

Olga
    edited December 22, 2005
    OlgaJ wrote:
    Twice I've tried to upload pics at different times today. Goes through all the motions but no pictures have been uploaded.

Is anyone else seeing this? Using MSIE and the windows upload.

Olga

Been watching the queue, and the help desk, all day, Olga. There hasn't been any reports like this. Have you tried the Beta Universal Drag and Drop uploader? It works a treat. Also, see this help page:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems

Finally, sometimes, clearing your IE cache and cookies, temporarily disabliing Norton AV or other AV, and best of all, trying another browser such as Firefox, free from www.mozilla.org, these are some good steps.

If all that fails, send a note to help@smugmug.com stating the steps you've taken, and we'll get you sorted!

Oh one other thing: some folks experience packet loss with their broadband providers. Give www.dslreports.com a try, you have to register, but it's free - and run the packet loss test under the "tools" menu.

I hope this helps,
    edited December 22, 2005
    Preferred viewing size busted in some cases
    This bug report spun out of this thread. Here's how to see this bug:

1) Set your gallery to the smugmug style
    2) Click on the main image when viewing a gallery in the smugmug style
    3) A popup window will open with a drop-down in it that says: "Preferred viewing size". Change that drop-down to "Original".
    4) Close the pop-up window.
    5) Click on the main image when viewing a gallery in the smugmug style again.
    6) The same popup window will open again with the image still in the large size. It doesn't matter what you picked in this drop-down. It appears to have NO affect at all on what the smugmug style opens when you click on the main image. This is not true in the traditional or all-thumbs view. This drop-down does determine which image size is opened from those views. Very confusing.

I've been an active smugmug customer for more than a year and I concluded that this drop-down didn't do anything. I was so sure it didn't do anything that I actually hid it using CSS so as to not confuse my users. Now I find that it does do something in some scenarios. It controls what size image opens when using the traditional or all-thumbs views.

There are several different choices for how this could be changed/fixed.

Option a) In scenarios where this drop-down doesn't do anything, stop showing it. So, when opening an image that will not be affected by what you've set this drop-down to, don't confuse the user by showing it to them. That would mean that it should only be present when open an image from a view that respects the setting like traditional or all-thumbs.

Option b) Make all views respect this setting so that the smugmug view would be change to open that sized image when you click on the main image. This keeps it consistent so if you see the popup, it works for you and you won't think it's broken and you will be able to learn what it does.

Option c) Get rid of the sticky popup all together. When opening a popup window when the user has not specified the size they want from their method of opening the window (e.g. when they clicked on an image, not on one of the specific size links), then just pick an intelligent default choice for what size to open for each circumstance and give the user links to the other sizes in the window that they open up (the same size UI they have in other views).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited December 22, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    This bug report spun out of this thread. Here's how to see this bug:

Try it on a gallery with Originals allowed, and the originals are larger than 800px wide naughty.gif

Like this one: http://andydemo.smugmug.com/gallery/905518/1/41172025
  • OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Been watching the queue, and the help desk, all day, Olga. There hasn't been any reports like this. Have you tried the Beta Universal Drag and Drop uploader? It works a treat.

Thanks, Andy. I eventually managed to get one successful upload. I hate to tell you this, but I did non of your helpful hints. :): Just waited it out a bit longer. I knew, after being on Smugmug for 2 years, that there was nothing wrong with my system. Now Comcast is another thing.... anything could have gone wrong there.

Olga
    edited December 22, 2005
    OlgaJ wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. I eventually managed to get one successful upload. I hate to tell you this, but I did non of your helpful hints. :): Just waited it out a bit longer. I knew, after being on Smugmug for 2 years, that there was nothing wrong with my system. Now Comcast is another thing.... anything could have gone wrong there.

Olga

Cool. The nice thing about that dlsreports.com link is that they'll also tell you on their front page which providers are having "difficulties" thumb.gif Glad you're all sorted, Olga!
    edited December 23, 2005
    I was
    Andy wrote:
    Try it on a gallery with Originals allowed, and the originals are larger than 800px wide naughty.gif

Like this one: http://andydemo.smugmug.com/gallery/905518/1/41172025

I was doing it on a gallery with originals allowed. I don't understand what point you were making.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
This discussion has been closed.