the dgrin suggestion box

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 26, 2010
    How about a tab that let's the OP mark the item as sold or bought and locks the thread but shows the price info to be left for all to see. headscratch.gif

I think you're over analyzing this.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 26, 2010
    Fair enough. So what is possible? Letting the OP edit the title is a less elegant solution but a solution all the same, no?
    you want to give my day job to a robot too?

In all seriousness, the amount of traffic and solds here equates to about 5 minutes of work/day for me. It would take longer to decide whether we want to give title editing privileges across the board, or even more time to tweak vB to allow us to do it only for one section of the forums.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    I think you're over analyzing this.

I think you have mistaken observation for analysis. Dgrin was the first photography forum I ever joined and is still my favorite. Unfortunately using the B/S forum can be a bit of a PITA as a significant number of mislabled threads.

My thought process was: dgrin is great, B/S board could be better, oh look a suggestion box!

:D
    edited October 26, 2010
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    you want to give my day job to a robot too?

In all seriousness, the amount of traffic and solds here equates to about 5 minutes of work/day for me. It would take longer to decide whether we want to give title editing privileges across the board, or even more time to tweak vB to allow us to do it only for one section of the forums.

I was thinking of farming out the scut work to the end user to leave the important stuff for the bossman.:D

Cool. Not trying to start trouble. Just had an idea and saw the suggestion box.

Great forum, awesome mod, annoying board to use given the amount of fake outs. Just trying to help make my first and fav b/s board a touch more ...2010mwink.gif
    edited October 27, 2010
    I was thinking of farming out the scut work to the end user to leave the important stuff for the bossman.:D

Cool. Not trying to start trouble. Just had an idea and saw the suggestion box.

Great forum, awesome mod, annoying board to use given the amount of fake outs. Just trying to help make my first and fav b/s board a touch more ...2010mwink.gif
    Thanks Jeff, we do hear you. Your suggestions are good and sure, it might be nice to just search for current or solds, and get average prices automagically... oh, hey, kinda like ebay?? I guess at the end of the day, our goal with Flea Market isn't for it to be some slick automated buy/sell forum, it's just a place for threads where our users can trade. And in that light, we don't need tickboxes for solds and special title editing capabilities. Every mod has to browse his/her respective new threads/posts anyway, I just change a few more titles than everyone else.

Maybe that clears up our responses a bit? Regardless, thanks and thanks thumb.gif
    Erik

edited October 27, 2010
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    Thanks Jeff, we do hear you. Your suggestions are good and sure, it might be nice to just search for current or solds, and get average prices automagically... oh, hey, kinda like ebay?? I guess at the end of the day, our goal with Flea Market isn't for it to be some slick automated buy/sell forum, it's just a place for threads where our users can trade. And in that light, we don't need tickboxes for solds and special title editing capabilities. Every mod has to browse his/her respective new threads/posts anyway, I just change a few more titles than everyone else.

Maybe that clears up our responses a bit? Regardless, thanks and thanks thumb.gif

Thanks for the response. I wasn't gunning for anything fancy or slick... just the ability to reliably know if an item was still for sale without opening each thread.

If it is a matter of philosophy/principle there is obviously no discussion and to be clear I'm not trying to make dgrin something else (echk bay:puke1) or lauch an attack on a way of forum life.

I'll stop now so you can get back to fixing that thread that still lists for sale when it was sold weeks ago:D (other guys forum EPL-1 for $290 sold since 10/15)

Thanks for listening dude.

j
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Maybe I have missed it, but is there a forum to discuss the art/philosophy/musings of photography. I realize that most of the shooters here are digital but looking back on the classics and discussing them or simply musing on why we photograph would be interesting for me. I tried to do this in one forum and my post was removed by a mod who said it was inappropriate.
    edited December 13, 2010
    BMW Kurt wrote: »
    Maybe I have missed it, but is there a forum to discuss the art/philosophy/musings of photography. I realize that most of the shooters here are digital but looking back on the classics and discussing them or simply musing on why we photograph would be interesting for me. I tried to do this in one forum and my post was removed by a mod who said it was inappropriate.

The Big Picture would be appropriate for that.
    edited December 13, 2010
    I tried to do this in one forum and my post was removed by a mod who said it was inappropriate.
    To clarify by "one forum" you mean somewhere other than dgrin, right?
    Erik

edited December 13, 2010
    Doh! I seriously thought Big Picture was for wide angle and panoramic shots. 11doh.gif

As to the other post, no it was here.
    edited December 14, 2010
    Doh! I seriously thought Big Picture was for wide angle and panoramic shots. 11doh.gif

As to the other post, no it was here.
    Would you mind giving us the specifics? We very, and I mean very, rarely remove posts (other than obvious spam). I find it hard to believe one of our mods actually removed a post that was about photography. Maybe moved to a better place, but not removed.

Feel free to send a PM if you prefer.
    Erik

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 14, 2010

I agree with Ian that the Big Picture is appropriate for that.

But I also welcome that kind of discussion in Finishing School, as I do think they are connected. One cannot really edit an image well, without a goal in mind, and the goal may well be to replicate or utilize techniques from the history of Photography. If your post was pulled from Finishing School, let me know and I will move it back for you. I welcome that sort of discussion.

It is far more interesting than questions about how to make Photoshop behave.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 14, 2010

Hi Kurt

Perhaps this thread is what you seek? Just click any of the links under the banner to join in on various discussions.

We'd love to see more activity there and welcome any suggestions on improving and expanding the topic. Thanks thumb.gif

edited December 15, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    Hi Kurt

Perhaps this thread is what you seek? Just click any of the links under the banner to join in on various discussions.

We'd love to see more activity there and welcome any suggestions on improving and expanding the topic. Thanks thumb.gif

Angelo, that's it!!!!!! Thanks.

Doctor, it was a long time ago and probably forgotten by now.

Again Angelo, thanks. I still like to discuss the classics and why they are classics. Probably shouldn't admit it here, but I still shoot a lot of film. As a matter of fact, that's all I'm shooting now. Our house was broken into last week and ALL of my digital cameras were stolen. My film cameras were not touched. I will be shooting film until the insurance check arrives and then I will go on a digital shopping spree!
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 15, 2010
    Angelo, that's it!!!!!! Thanks.

Doctor, it was a long time ago and probably forgotten by now.

Again Angelo, thanks. I still like to discuss the classics and why they are classics. Probably shouldn't admit it here, but I still shoot a lot of film. As a matter of fact, that's all I'm shooting now. Our house was broken into last week and ALL of my digital cameras were stolen. My film cameras were not touched. I will be shooting film until the insurance check arrives and then I will go on a digital shopping spree!

Hey Kurt. You're very welcome. What a bummer about the break-in. I'm sorry you lost everything but thankfully nothing worse, right?

I love discussing classic photography so I look forward to joining in on your contributions. The "...Discussing..." threads have not been very active but maybe you're the angel we've been waiting for. :D

• pcrpcr Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Birds
    Me thinks the birds needs to seperate from wildlife. Plenty of posts, beautiful pictures, should have it's own spot.
    For since the creation of the world Gods invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that We are without excuse,(Romans 1:20)
    edited January 14, 2011
    pcr wrote: »
    Me thinks the birds needs to seperate from wildlife. Plenty of posts, beautiful pictures, should have it's own spot.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but we do our best to avoid "forum clutter." If we separate birds out from wildlife, do we also add "puppies" and "kitties"?

Remember, it's all about the shots! thumb.gif
    Erik

• ReenieReenie Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Is there a section for "I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to get my pics the right size to post" or other stupid questions? Just wondering. Can you tell I'm a newbie, lol?
    When you get the choice to sit it out or dance...I hope you dance. All4Him, Reenie
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited February 5, 2011
    Reenie wrote: »
    Is there a section for "I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to get my pics the right size to post" or other stupid questions? Just wondering. Can you tell I'm a newbie, lol?

Where are your pictures hosted? Different hosting companies have various methods of sizing your shots when posting them elsewhere.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 640 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011

See 2nd paragraph titled "posting"
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,890 moderator
    edited February 5, 2011

Hi Reenie and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. Check out this thread, which contains all sorts of useful information for new members. I took a look at your website (nice, BTW) but I don't know enough about Zenfolio to be of much help. I couldn't get a link to your pics to work--I kept getting the full web page instead. I suspect you may have to change a Zenfolio setting to allow external links to your pics. Once you get that straightened out, you shouldn't have to worry about size.
  • rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    May I suggest an optional 'first name' field in the profile data that would appear under the avatar? It's a bit more friendly to say "John, I like your shot..." rather than using user-names.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,890 moderator
    edited February 11, 2011
    May I suggest an optional 'first name' field in the profile data that would appear under the avatar? It's a bit more friendly to say "John, I like your shot..." rather than using user-names.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I like it. thumb.gif
  • bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    Ok...here is my suggestion for Dgrin. And I know a LOT of photographers are going to cringe when they see it. I would like to see a forum in the "Shots" category strictly for HDR photography. I know more and more smugmuggers and dgrinners are doing it and I think it merits its own forum like macro, etc. If someone is need to moderate or such I would be happy to volunteer.
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
    edited February 27, 2011
    I would like to see a forum in the "Shots" category strictly for HDR photography. I know more and more smugmuggers and dgrinners are doing it and I think it merits its own forum like macro, etc. If someone is need to moderate or such I would be happy to volunteer.

Thanks for the suggestion and the offer thumb.gif

We've discussed this in the past and there are a couple of reasons why keeping HDR shots within their respective categories works best. The biggest reason is it avoids forum clutter. And of course, it's easy to decide where your picture goes--a landscape always goes into the landscape forum.
  • bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    Thanks for such a quick reply. The only problem I see with just lumping in HDR with everything else is that there are a lot of traditional photographers that don't like HDR and don't consider it a legitimate form of photography. And there a lot of us (and more every day) that shoot HDR and know this and just won't post in general forums. HDR is fast becoming it's own genre and I think deserves to be explored and celebrated in its own right. On Flickr there are HDR specific forums with 10's of thousands of images in them. Surely one more caqtegory in "Shots" wouldn't clutter things up that much. Just my two cents.
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
    edited February 27, 2011
    All valid points for sure. But if you look around, there are many HDR posts on dgrin. Some in "Other Cool Shots" and many in Landscapes too.

As for exploration, we've explored the idea before and will continue to do so but for now, we have decided not to create a separate forum for HDR.
    Thanks for such a quick reply. The only problem I see with just lumping in HDR with everything else is that there are a lot of traditional photographers that don't like HDR and don't consider it a legitimate form of photography. And there a lot of us (and more every day) that shoot HDR and know this and just won't post in general forums. HDR is fast becoming it's own genre and I think deserves to be explored and celebrated in its own right. On Flickr there are HDR specific forums with 10's of thousands of images in them. Surely one more caqtegory in "Shots" wouldn't clutter things up that much. Just my two cents.
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 640 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011

I agree with you totally. I am not a fan of HDR and agree that it is its own genre and should be separated from the other landscapes where photographers have used filters and traditional methods of balancing shadow and highlights in a scene. I typically cut my visits to the Landscape forum short when the majority of recent posts are HDR. Cool Shots IMO consist of conceptual images etc. This has been requested multiple times. Street Photography has its own forum separate from the People forum.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
    edited February 27, 2011
    Thanks Travis.
    I agree with you totally. I am not a fan of HDR and agree that it is its own genre and should be separated from the other landscapes where photographers have used filters and traditional methods of balancing shadow and highlights in a scene. I typically cut my visits to the Landscape forum short when the majority of recent posts are HDR. Cool Shots IMO consist of conceptual images etc. This has been requested multiple times. Street Photography has its own forum separate from the People forum.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Looks to me, that more than 50% of 'The Basics" are positive and include all the standard ones. Smilies

Now the others are a different story, but look at the header "Over the Top"! thumb.gif, you don't have to use them.

:D
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook