Options

A really old camera

gfurmgfurm Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited February 28, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Hello everyone.

I'd like to know what you think about those. Not the subject itself, more about the shots. It was exercise in lighting.

Thanks
Greg

IMGP8544-L.jpg

IMGP8552-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    I like the overall temperature (cold) and direction of the light... background works well to feature the subject.
    #2 looks a bit under-exposed - the detail on the grip is disappearing, especially on the right side.
    HTH
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    I think #1 is great, nice detail and good contrast with the background.
  • Options
    1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    In #1, the top controls and the front of the lens are "almost" sharp. I would either throw them out of focus all together, or adjust distance, aperture, and focal length to bring it all crisp. With a shift/tilt capable camera, you could do it, and for something like this (in my school days) I would use scheimpflug adjustments and a view camera to get everything where I wanted it. Edgy focus would be acceptable in a less precision subject, or if you had chosen, for example, just the front of the lens as your "precision plane."
    –Mark

"Conventional thinking is the ruin of our souls..." ~Rumi
    edited February 28, 2014
    Thanks for comments.

1maginer: getting it all in focus is impossible for me even if I go for f22 and higher ISO. But then I'll all get soft due to the lens (it gets much softer at higher apertures). And I don't have tilt/shift lens :). Going the other way could be interesting, just getting the name in focus. I'll try that.

Greg
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2014
    I think you might be pleased with the results. Not sure of your technical knowledge, so just in case, focal plane is always ⅓ TOWARDS YOU (in front of plane of focus), and 2/3rds away from you (behind the plane of focus) at any given aperture. this means to get that scene all in focus, you either have to manually set your autofocus to a point ⅓ into the scene, or manually focus yourself at about that range (and at an adequate aperture to carry the depth. Macro is always a bitch if you ALSO want depth of field. Laughing.gif.

Also, you might try DxO Optics Pro 9 (if you haven't already), as it will eek out the max sharpness of your lens/camera combo (but you must shoot RAW to take advantage of it). :-)
    –Mark

edited February 28, 2014
    Thanks but i know all that. Moving focus towards me still not going to work. With 105mm macro lens at 30 cm distance the depth of field is roughly 1.4 cm. From front of the lens to dials on top plate is about 5cm. I'd be better off with focus stacking. But I may try lower aperture to throw everything out of focus.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2014
    gfurm wrote: »
    Thanks but i know all that. Moving focus towards me still not going to work. With 105mm macro lens at 30 cm distance the depth of field is roughly 1.4 cm. From front of the lens to dials on top plate is about 5cm. I'd be better off with focus stacking. But I may try lower aperture to throw everything out of focus.

Oops, looking back I got a bit carried away with the stuff you knew already. It's the teacher in me. :-/

At any rate, sounds like you have a plan! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    –Mark

edited February 28, 2014
    Oh, and btw, I like the lighting but for the wee bit that Eric called out... and I might disagree that it is OVERALL underexposure... I think a white card reflector off set would fill that grip shadow in just fine.
    –Mark