FlatTop Manor

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited March 3, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Sitting aside the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Blowing Rock, NC, is the Moses Cone Memorial Park. This magnificent home, known as Flat Top Manor, anchors what was originally called the Moses Cone Estate. Since being deeded to the National Park Service, it's now operated and maintained by them as a part of the BRP system.

Moses Cone was a textile entrepreneur in the later 1800's. He became known as " The Denim King " and was rewarded with vast wealth. His heart was in the Appalachians and he and his wife, Bertha, set about creating a 3500 acre estate. The home was built in 1901. It encompasses 20 rooms totaling 13,000 square feet. Sharing space on the estate is a carriage and horse barn, as well as an apple barn. Moses Cone had a unique hobby....he loved to build carriage roads. Swooping and swirling throughout the estate are no less than 25 miles of roads he built.

Flat Top Manor now is home to an impressive array of arts and crafts offered for sale by very top-rung Appalachian artisans. If you get anywhere near this place, you need to pay a visit.

This is the Manor overlooking Bass Lake...part of the estate. I don't fish, but I see those that do drag some really nice bass out of here.

[IMG]http://black-mamba.smugmug.com/Other/ Odds-N-Ends/i-P7NhxR9/0/X3/Milwaukee%20055-X3.jpg[/IMG]

Flat Top Manor ( named after nearby Flat Top Mountain )

Milwaukee%20037-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2014
    Beautiful Tom! First shot is totally brilliant! Cool shot but as good a Landscape as any! Cheers!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Beautiful Tom! First shot is totally brilliant! Cool shot but as good a Landscape as any! Cheers!

Thanks for your support, Stumblebum. I tend to stick closely to my home in OCS. Thankfully, the powers that be don't mind when I sneak in a landscape shot now and then.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    Beautiful shots Tom.
    I always enjoy your stories and images of the East - it is very, very, green there and so different from my environs.
    I'll confess a bit of envy... except, I think humidity, bugs, and Kudzu vines come with that bargain... so I'll hang here. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Beautiful shots Tom.
    I always enjoy your stories and images of the East - it is very, very, green there and so different from my environs.
    I'll confess a bit of envy... except, I think humidity, bugs, and Kudzu vines come with that bargain... so I'll hang here. :D

Dang, Eric, you know how to go directly for the jugular vein. One would have to go to thermonuclear events to have a prayer against kudzu. A friend was mowing his yard. He saw a sprig of that stuff on the adjoining property; before he could make it to his porch, the stuff had him. We're still trying to get him free from it. Sadly, I'm only half kidding.

Tom