Fishing Buddies -An Unlikely Pair

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited March 14, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
While out and about over the weekend, we managed to capture an unlikely pair of fishin' buddies. I'm typically against feeding wildlife, but I gotta say, these two seem to be just fine together. The fella said the heron usually hangs out with him while he fishes, and typically takes longer to eat the bigger fish. He said he kinda felt bad for his feathered friend, toting around that fish hook in it's beak.

This morning, I contacted the local Fish & Game office to report the fish-hooked bird. Hopefully, they'll use a couple fish to get him close, net him and remove the hook.

Thanks for viewing, and as always, feedback is welcomed. Enjoy!!

IMG_3682-L.jpg

IMG_3710-L.jpg

IMG_3733-L.jpg

IMG_3738-L.jpg

IMG_3744-L.jpg

IMG_3754-L.jpg

IMG_3755-L.jpg

IMG_3764-L.jpg
IMG_3771-L.jpg

IMG_3777-L.jpg

IMG_3786-L.jpg

IMG_3788-L.jpg

Comments

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    That is a cool series and completely typical of both herons and egrets.

I am a fly fisherman and always get either an egret or heron following me when I fish.....it seems as if there's a service that matches birds and fishermen for the day.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    As cool as it gets!
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    Thanks for the positivity!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    It is an interesting series - #1 is great!
    I am always pained when an animal suffers at the hand of bad acts by humans - intended or unintended.

I will suggest though, that you take the time to go-over your images with a critical-eye... there is an orphan object on the left edge of #6
    and, in each image that a horizon appears, it is tilted. Intentional tilt is sometimes seen as complementary to a composition, but I don't think so in these images.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited March 3, 2014
    This is great input, thanks! That foreign object is the fella who caught the fish. I just got all antsy and excited to catch the shots, that I pretty much threw out any regard for horizons and such. So, I'm grateful that you're giving me the reminder, as it will now be taken into consideration on the next shoot! :)
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    edited March 5, 2014
    Thank you!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2014
    Enjoyed your series of photos. Sad to see the hook tho. Hopefully they'll be able to catch the bird and take it out.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2014
    Nice series - must be aggravating for both though. No wonder he has a hook in his mouth if this is how he catches fish.