Kayaker's Nightmare

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited March 8, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
This shot was taken from the second-story deck of a friends house. His place is located about 3/4 of the way down this particular stretch that totals close to 1 and 1/2 miles in length. The kayakers flock to this mountain run. He said it's not unusual to have quite a few of them seek refuge on his land.....often they're half-drowned, bedraggled, pretty well scraped up and bleeding.

Milwaukee%20002-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    Looks run-able to me. Great shot!
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    Cool place to hang your hat !!
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    Another green masterpiece! I am green with envy! This can earn you some green! You not only have green thumb but green shutter finger! In landscape shots, you have the rub of the green! This gives me green light to look for greens myself!

Is that enough green puns for ya?biggrinbounce2.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    Looks run-able to me. Great shot!

Thanks for the visit and kind remark, JonaBeth.

When I took this shot, they were still in a semi-drought period up there. When they have adequate water, this river really roars down this stretch. According to my friend, though, the problem is that so many of those who challenge this run are true neophytes...totally unprepared and behind the 8-ball before they even leave the jumping-off spot. Some of the idiots....as he calls them.... have no helmet on, nor any other safety gear. There's no supervision here...it's in the middle of nowhere....and more than a few folks pay a dear price for their stupidity.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited March 5, 2014
    bfjr wrote: »
    Cool place to hang your hat !!

Hi Ben, it's great to hear from your quarters.

This deck is cantilevered outward quite a bit. Over to the left of my shooting position, it actually extends out over the river. The nearest home to this one is about 1/2 mile away and no others actually front on the river as his does. It is, indeed, a cool place to hang your hat.

Tom
    edited March 5, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Another green masterpiece! I am green with envy! This can earn you some green! You not only have green thumb but green shutter finger! In landscape shots, you have the rub of the green! This gives me green light to look for greens myself!

Is that enough green puns for ya?biggrinbounce2.gif

You're a hoot, Taz. My buddy turned down an offer of $4,500,000 for this place last year....wasn't enough green for him to part with it.

Tom
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    ...He said it's not unusual to have quite a few of them seek refuge on his land.....often they're half-drowned, bedraggled, pretty well scraped up and bleeding.

Sounds like an entrepreneurial opportunity to me... perhaps - Rapid Response First Aid + Services
    (pun intended :D)
    It is, indeed, a cool place to hang your hat.

Ya' think? thumb.gif
    Beautiful shot!

Dang Tom, you and your friends sure are hangin' in fine Southern Style... If I lived nearby, I'd be tagging along,
    you know - entourage style, makin' sure your sweet tea and mint juleps were topped-off and icy cold!
    You woudn't even notice me... honest! mwink.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited March 6, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Sounds like an entrepreneurial opportunity to me... perhaps - Rapid Response First Aid + Services
    (pun intended :D)

Ya' think? thumb.gif
    Beautiful shot!

Dang Tom, you and your friends sure are hangin' in fine Southern Style... If I lived nearby, I'd be tagging along,
    you know - entourage style, makin' sure your sweet tea and mint juleps were topped-off and icy cold!
    You woudn't even notice me... honest! mwink.gif

I know, Eric, that you're a " West Coast Junkie ". However, you give me two weeks of traipsing around the Appalachians with me and you may change your mind. You get up in those mountains and some kind of pronounced sense of peace comes over you. There's powerful medicine up there.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    edited March 6, 2014
    With this shot, I've shifted position on the deck so that I'm shooting almost straight out from the house. Out of view on the left, the river takes a pronounced turn to the right, leading to, about 500 yards further down, some of the most frightful, rocky rapids you can imagine. Only the most fearless and hardened professionals even consider taking on that stuff.

Milwaukee%20016-X3.jpg
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2014
    Yep, add water and run that sucka!

However, I'm a firm believer in gear and protective equipment. We might have to come SUP it this spring...we're just down in Punta Gorda now :)
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2014
    Very nice, Tom! What a beautiful area. It must really be something when the water is really flowing!
    edited March 7, 2014
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom! What a beautiful area. It must really be something when the water is really flowing!

I've been there, John, when the water cascading down that stretch looks like a white avalanche storming down on you. During those times, you can give up on having conversations while out on the deck....the roar those waters make is deafening. It's even pretty loud as you see it in these pictures.

That camera of yours broken? Haven't been treated to much from you lately.

Take care,

Tom
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    That camera of yours broken? Haven't been treated to much from you lately.
    It almost seems that way, doesn't it? Between work and this winter weather we've been experiencing, I haven't been out as much as I would have liked. I hope to rectify that this weekend.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    Beautiful scenery, but think I'd stay out of the water. I'm too old for stuff like that now :cry
    edited March 8, 2014
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Beautiful scenery, but think I'd stay out of the water. I'm too old for stuff like that now :cry

I hear you, Mary. I'm leaving a lot of that kind of stuff to the young bunch now. Truthfully though, kayaking down this river would never have been on my radar.

Take care,

Tom