Export size

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited April 8, 2012 in Finishing School
I'm starting out with a 7meg jpg file, some adjustments and slight crop in LR4 and my export is only 700kb. Quality is at 100 and 34,00dpi. I don't print much, LR is new to me and this will be a 16 x 20. Will it be OK?

Comments

• Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I'm starting out with a 7meg jpg file, some adjustments and slight crop in LR4 and my export is only 700kb. Quality is at 100 and 34,00dpi. I don't print much, LR is new to me and this will be a 16 x 20. Will it be OK?

Double check the dpi setting when you export, and make sure you didn't set it to 34.00. I have mine set to 300 and I don't lose hardly anything when I export a jpg from a jpg. But then again, I'm not cropping the jpgs, as they were already cropped from the raw file.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    Double check the dpi setting when you export, and make sure you didn't set it to 34.00. I have mine set to 300 and I don't lose hardly anything when I export a jpg from a jpg. But then again, I'm not cropping the jpgs, as they were already cropped from the raw file.

GaryB

Thanks, dpi is deffinatly 34,000. I didn't know exactly what was needed so I looked up the max value I could specify.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    FWIW, nothing is gained using 100 quality in LR. see:
    http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    If you are printing this image yourself, just print your file from Lightroom itself, no need to alter the file.

If you are exporting the file to an outside vendor for printing
    , you will want a minimum of 200 pixels per inch along each side of the print.

16 x 200 = 3,200 pixels for the short side, and 4,800 would be better.

20 x 200 = 4,000 pixels for the long side. 300 ppi would be better, and would be 6,000

3200x4000 = 12.8 megapixels for a 16x20 inch print at 200 ppi.

dpi is a printer specification

I think you are referring to pixels per inch needed for a quality print, which many would consider 200 ppi.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 8, 2012
    arodney wrote: »
    FWIW, nothing is gained using 100 quality in LR. see:
    http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Thanks for the link, interesting read.
    edited April 8, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    If you are printing this image yourself, just print your file from Lightroom itself, no need to alter the file.

If you are exporting the file to an outside vendor for printing
    , you will want a minimum of 200 pixels per inch along each side of the print.

16 x 200 = 3,200 pixels for the short side, and 4,800 would be better.

20 x 200 = 4,000 pixels for the long side. 300 ppi would be better, and would be 6,000

3200x4000 = 12.8 megapixels for a 16x20 inch print at 200 ppi.

dpi is a printer specification

I think you are referring to pixels per inch needed for a quality print, which many would consider 200 ppi.

Thanks Pathfinder. I think I have the basics figured out now. My biggest problem was not knowing what I needed from a pixel standpoint for a quality print job. I'm good now.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Other/Resolution-Resizing-and-Dots/2246604_8fVpw8

A short discussion of image pixel sizes needed for printing
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin