Broken SD Card

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited March 21, 2016 in Accessories
I don't know what to do. I put my SD card into the reader to download the photos and it didn't work. I took it out and one little plastic line on the back was bent. I didn't know there was something wrong at the time thinking it was suppose to look that way. Stuck it in again and when it didn't work and I took it out - I noticed another line was bent. I just bought a new card reader after seeing this, but I'm wondering if I can removed the 2 bent lines and try to download the photos with the new reader when it arrives. Any suggestions would be great!

i-BnD3tpc-L.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited February 1, 2016
    Are you familiar with proper static grounding procedures?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Are you familiar with proper static grounding procedures?

No I'm not.

Are those scratch marks suppose to be on the copper part?
    edited February 1, 2016
    Ziggy I straightened the little plastic bars and tried it in a new card reader. It worked and my photos downloaded.
    edited February 1, 2016
    Dogdots wrote: »
    No I'm not. ...

Static electricity can instantly destroy a memory card if you don't take proper precautions to both reduce the likelihood of static electricity in the environment and properly dissipate static from both the card and yourself.

I strongly suggest finding someone familiar with handling TTL voltage media to assist in working on the card. Any sort of electrician with an electronics background (hobby or professional) should be a candidate, but an electrical engineer would be ideal.
    ... Are those scratch marks suppose to be on the copper part?

A few scratch/scuff marks are fairly common for SD media and these look reasonably normal by this image. An SD card reader uses a series of curved contacts which do make a somewhat strong physical contact with the card contacts in order to make a reliable electrical connection. Any sort of gouging or scoring would be a sign of a more serious problem.

Since it would appear that a couple of your old card reader's contacts may have been allowed to stray onto adjoining card contacts, it is possible that permanent damage to the card may have occurred. The broken guard bars show the extent of misalignment.

Hoping for the best outcome for you.
    ziggy53
    edited February 1, 2016
    Ziggy I straightened the little plastic bars and tried it in a new card reader. It worked and my photos downloaded.

Whew, I'm happy for you.

Please do take some time to educate yourself on proper static prevention and dissipation should you ever have a similar event with any delicate electronic devices or circuits.

http://www.circuitrework.com/guides/2-1.shtml
    ziggy53
    edited February 1, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Whew, I'm happy for you.

Please do take some time to educate yourself on proper static prevention and dissipation should you ever have a similar event with any delicate electronic devices or circuits.

http://www.circuitrework.com/guides/2-1.shtml

I'm happy too as I was really worried it was a lost cause trying to get it fixed to just download the photos. The card is in the trash.

I will read up on what you linked to as I'm always open to learn. Thanks Ziggy!!
  • photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016

Awesome! happy to hear that you recovered the images!
    edited February 12, 2016
    photogreen wrote: »
    Awesome! happy to hear that you recovered the images!

I was too - Just hope it never happens again :D
  • EskuvoEskuvo Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    It does happen all the time. One of the reason I don't like SD cards. It happened to me a few times. I just broke off the plastic parts and worked. I have saved the images and sent the card back to Lexar. They were replaced.
    edited March 12, 2016
    Eskuvo wrote: »
    It does happen all the time. One of the reason I don't like SD cards. It happened to me a few times. I just broke off the plastic parts and worked. I have saved the images and sent the card back to Lexar. They were replaced.

I'm glad to know it worked after you took off the little plastic parts. I still have my card so maybe I should send it back to SanDisk and see if they'll replace it.
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Don't worry, not so important parts, cosmetic rather.
    Cut or break them (as you both did) and forget :^)
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    edited March 21, 2016
    z_28 wrote: »
    Don't worry, not so important parts, cosmetic rather.
    Cut or break them (as you both did) and forget :^)

Thanks for the information :)